off camera speedlite triggering?

Name
Vicky
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon 60d and a Canon 430exii and was wondering what is the best way to trigger the speedlite off camera. Can I use my built-in flash to do this or do I need a remote trigger. I know the 60d has wireless capabilities but not sure the best way to go about it? Thanks.

Not sure the 430 ex II can be triggered. The 580 ex II can though.

Yongnuo RF-602 or similar triggers work a treat

The 430 EXII can be used as a slave and triggered remotely using a master flash / trigger. The 580 EXII can act as a master, but the 430 EXII can't.

The integrated flash on My 40D cannot be used as a master flash, however the 60D product specs here list the flash modes as:
"Auto, Manual flash, Integrated Speedlite Transmitter"
so it looks like you may be in luck!

Alternatively if you want to stay within the Canon wireless system you could use the expensive options of a 580 EXII, or an ST-E2 wireless transmitter or (I think) the Canon macro flash to act as the master.

Or, as mentioned above, there are a number of different wireless transmitters available. Although most of the more inexpensive ones will not support eTTL, these seem to be a very popular way of triggering off-camera flash.

The ste2 is a waste of money, your camera should be capable of more features than that thing anyway. Radio triggers give a lot of versatility but until you have played with what you have I would hold off.

With the. 430 Ex II you need to hold one of the buttons on the back of the flash so it shows as slave, pop the 60's flash and it should fire remotely.

Back