OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

After another long hiatus from any sort of photography (except the iphone sort), I dug out an old Kodak 6x9 folder from a box this morning during a clear out... I remember buying it at a charity shop for 20 quid about a year ago and seeing that it only took 620 film, wrote it off as a project I'd look into in the future... I believe it's a Kodak Six 20 'A'

Being bored with a nasty bout of flu, I decided to research what I needed to do to get the thing up and running - fairly simple in the end. Just had to trim the edges off a 120 spool to the same circumference as a 620 spool (there was one spool already in the camera), and fit the modified spool into the take-up end. I then pulled apart a 120 film in a dark bag and re-spooled on the 620 spool, making sure to keep the film and paper backing straight. I also had to peel off the masking tape during the re-spool and re-apply as a lump was forming from re-spooling as tight as possible.

Once done I loaded the 620 spool into the camera and off i went for a meander around the neighbourhood. It was the first time I was using the 'sunny 16' exposure rule, though it worked out to be sunny 22 as there were only 2 speeds - 1/25 and 1/50 and a 'B' option too. Also the first time I'd used scale focusing, though it was far from scary, and actually quite fun. Here's a shot from the roll:

More shots here.

Last edited:
Ebay is not a game.. Ebay is not a game..

I must stop playing Ebay with a beer in hand.

The postie has just been and delivered a Mamiya Korvette (rebadged Mamiya Family for the UK market sold by B Bennett & Sons) fitted with a Mamiya Sekor 48mm f/2.8 and a 5-speed plus bulb Copal leaf shutter. The action is very stiff at the moment, but loosening up with even just a few wind'n'clicks - possibly partly due to becoming so cold in the post trolley. Other than being a bit stiff, condition looks good, there's a response from the uncoupled slenium meter and it came with the accessory hotshow fitting - although when this is in place it obscures the meter. Speaking of which, it's a rather intriguing colour-coded meter dial.

Alastair said:
Ebay is not a game.. Ebay is not a game..

I must stop playing Ebay with a beer in hand.

The postie has just been and delivered a Mamiya Korvette (rebadged Mamiya Family for the UK market sold by B Bennett & Sons) fitted with a Mamiya Sekor 48mm f/2.8 and a 5-speed plus bulb Copal leaf shutter. The action is very stiff at the moment, but loosening up with even just a few wind'n'clicks - possibly partly due to becoming so cold in the post trolley. Other than being a bit stiff, condition looks good, there's a response from the uncoupled slenium meter and it came with the accessory hotshow fitting - although when this is in place it obscures the meter. Speaking of which, it's a rather intriguing colour-coded meter dial.

Pics, Alistair. We need pics.

Also I can sympathise with the lure of eBay I rather foolishly bought another Nikkormat yesterday because I thought it had a 1.2 50mm lens attached but didn't read the whole ad and it only has a 50mm f2. Oh well, we live and learn, hopefully :LOL:

Also I can sympathise with the lure of eBay I rather foolishly bought another Nikkormat yesterday because I thought it had a 1.2 50mm lens attached but didn't read the whole ad and it only has a 50mm f2. Oh well, we live and learn, hopefully :LOL:

Many a time I've been fooled by a quick glance at an apparantly fast aperture lens! :LOL:

I too decided to step back in time and invest in film.

I ordered a Nikon F601 Quartz from a well known dealer thinking that the advertised "Excellent plus" rating would mean it was OK. When it arrived it had a crack in the body so that the battery compartment wouldn't stay shut when a battery was fitted. I packed it up and returned it to the dealer, who seems to be now advertising it again at the same rating. In the photos the crack is still not discernible and the battery compartment is shut (presumably empty).

I turned to eBay and recently got a Nikon N6006 (F601 ) for about the same silly money. It looks almost pristine and seems to work faultlessly.

I had previously thought that it would be best to buy where there was some guarantee of quality. Duh! Mistaken! At least I could send it back though. I suppose the trick is to ask more questions!

Will do, will do..

But in the mean time, any idea why the shutter should work better when I hold the camera upside down?

Will do, will do..

But in the mean time, any idea why the shutter should work better when I hold the camera upside down?

Not really but I have one that has a similar problem, I have just fired the shutter repeatedly and it seems to be getting better but very slowly. I just assumed that there was some cack (technical term) on the shutter blades that was creating pressure.

I turned to eBay and recently got a Nikon N6006 (F601 ) for about the same silly money. It looks almost pristine and seems to work faultlessly.

How does it handle? The Nikon plastic AF bodies intrigue me, they are available for silly money indeed but seem to offer a lot of camera at the same time.

I was handed an F55 by a photography student at work, felt nice in the hand, very very light, shutter was silent, but then I lifted it to my eye and any positive feelings I had towards getting one soon went away. What an awful viewfinder!

6883535209_fdcb3eb679.jpg

Just waiting on a Bessa L to arrive from the US and an adaptor so I can use it on my other new purchase, an RD1s.

Alan Clogwyn said:
I was handed an F55 by a photography student at work, felt nice in the hand, very very light, shutter was silent, but then I lifted it to my eye and any positive feelings I had towards getting one soon went away. What an awful viewfinder!

Alan, was that coverage, brightness, information, ergonomics of the viewfinder? To be honest I'd be looking at something like the F-801 or similar.

I have just ordered a Nikon FM3A and 50mm 1.4 off eBay. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Alan, was that coverage, brightness, information, ergonomics of the viewfinder? To be honest I'd be looking at something like the F-801 or similar.

It was tiny, and dim. I can't remember what info was displayed in it, I set everything based on the LCD.

I have just ordered a Nikon FM3A and 50mm 1.4 off eBay. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Both of them have an absolutely sterling reputation, especially the FM3A. Make sure you post the photos here when you get it off the postie!

It was tiny, and dim. I can't remember what info was displayed in it, I set everything based on the LCD.

Sounds disappointing, especially considering it was "full frame". I'm hoping the more advanced models in the range were better.

I had an F401 and an F90 and although not as advanced as some Nikons they were both extremely good cameras, especially the D90 and no problems with the viewfinder. Wish I hadn't got rid of it now.

Andy

that is just amazing ! - bessa + rd1s and well - nice lenses. congrats

Fm3a - wow , another superb camera.

the f55 - I didn't find the viewfinder too attractive either . F100 was good though.

Last edited:

I have just re-visited my F50,F60,F65,F70,F80 and F90X and all the Viewfinders are clear and sharp and as bright as I would expect, so maybe the F55 you looked at had a problem.

Richard

Last edited:
Just a thought, if it was mounted with one of the slow kit lenses it could've been as dim as f/5.6?

I have just re-visited my F50,F60,F65,F70,F80 and F90X and all the Viewfinders are clear and sharp and as bright as I would expect, so maybe the F55 you looked at had a problem.

Richard

No it's just Pentax M and Oly OMs are far, far better! It was slightly worse than the Super As finder with the added downside that it was a plain screen.

I think it's best to avoid super cheap plastic slr's with cheapo lenses unless you are on super tight budget and want some decent photos and don't shoot that often.

I've learned that the old cameras with manual focus lenses are the best although a good one still costs a lot. at least for me it works better this way . and seeing that some peeps have dozens of them :D

There's also a common fault with the F55 in that the AF tends to give up the ghost. I think Nikon still offer a free repair on that model. I'm using mine as a MF.

hello !

Does anyone know what is the normal price Olympus om 28mm f2 usually goes for ? or a Kiron copy ?

I'm not sure there is a 'normal' price as the f2 version is pretty rare, the last one on ebay sold for £319. No idea on the Kiron but I'd stick with the f2.8 Zuiko, it's a cracking lens and do you really need the extra aperture of the f2?

I'm not sure there is a 'normal' price as the f2 version is pretty rare, the last one on ebay sold for £319. No idea on the Kiron but I'd stick with the f2.8 Zuiko, it's a cracking lens and do you really need the extra aperture of the f2?

:puke::puke::puke:

thank you Sir !

No more questions.

what about 35mm f2 ? I see one ending somewhat soon with 95 on it. will it go to lets say - 150 ?

and 35mm f2.8 ? normal price ?

that is just amazing ! - bessa + rd1s and well - nice lenses. congrats

Fm3a - wow , another superb camera.

the f55 - I didn't find the viewfinder too attractive either . F100 was good though.

Still waiting on the Bessa, I hope it's not caught in customs :( and the Industar-61 I ordered for it but the more I read about them having focus problems the more I think I shouldn't have bothered buying it.

R-D1s and 25mm are awesome though.

I'll second the F100 being good, it's like a D700 that takes film!

Still waiting on the Bessa, I hope it's not caught in customs :( and the Industar-61 I ordered for it but the more I read about them having focus problems the more I think I shouldn't have bothered buying it.

R-D1s and 25mm are awesome though.

I'll second the F100 being good, it's like a D700 that takes film!

I only wish that the r-d1s/x would go for about 450 :(

the f100 - the only thing I don't like about newish film slrs is that the film door seems thin and vulnerable compared to digital back, well - It's just I'm spoiled with it I guess.

A 'temporary' new toy, stopping by on it's way to the bay of E:

P1000628.jpg

Wow!. That took me back - that was my first SLR - a Praktica 1VF?, although mine had the then top of the range 2.8 Tessar lens.

I'd seriously think about hanging onto it it, I don't think that many were sold and they're a pretty rare beast to try to find nowadays..

No instant return mirror and lever wind on the base plate, but I don't think I've ever prized a camera like I prized that first SLR. :D

Yep it's the Praktica IV mentioned in another thread, a true monster. As interesting a camera as it is I don't have any spare money to buy it (and it'd never get used anyway, I only want the lens!)

After it's little jam up last week it's now behaving and I'm even tempted to run some film through it!

Hi People,
I've just been donated a Tamron 24-48mm f3.5 sp Adaptall 2 in excellent condition, previously used on a Nikon. I'm considering selling it, would anyone be interested?. Also in its original box, with case, hood and filter.

Last edited:
Hi People,
I've just been donated a Tamron 24-48mm f3.5 sp Adaptall 2 in excellent condition, previously used on a Nikon. I'm considering selling it, would anyone be interested?. Also in its original box, with case, hood and filter.

When you've been around long enough to qualify for the classifieds section, I'm sure people would be interested if you choose to put the lens up for sale, but just at the moment, you're a few posts adrift of that... entry criteria are 25 meaningful contributions to the forum and 60 days membership.

Please don't try and sell anything outside of the classifieds, it's naughty, and you could get your wrists slapped :LOL:

You may also wish to read these few rules regarding the classifieds, so you don't fall foul of any further bear-traps (y)

Just got a new looking 90mm f2.8 elmarit for my M6. It's over 40 years old but looks basically new!

Just got a Nikon SB-28 flash for my FM3A. Now to find a manual and see how it works.

How does it handle? The Nikon plastic AF bodies intrigue me, they are available for silly money indeed but seem to offer a lot of camera at the same time.

I love it. I used to have an F801 a lot of years ago and it was a joy to use (until I got sand in the motordrive somewhere in an American desert). The F601 is very similar, but a bit smaller without one or two posher bits (e.g. no depth of field button). It is noisy, as all these Nikons were, but you get used to it. The viewfinder seems larger and brighter than my D300s.

Apparently the plastic catch on the battery compartment breaks easily but can be relatively easily repaired with a metal replacement

Last edited:
Sounds great. However, the noise thing concerns me - I usually find the mirror slap on my SLRs too loud as it is, let alone any AF/motor drive noise. Additionally, I've just got my FE back from CLA so it's manual focus Nikon for now for me!

I decided to build my own toys!

20120227233702_pinhole.jpg

It's a 6x9cm format pinhole camera. 6cm "focal" length, 0.3mm pinhole, so f/200 imaging system! The twin apertures on the sliding shutter is because one has a piece of yellow acetate in it to act as a contrast filter for BW photography.

A view from the back and with the top off:
20120227234146_pinholea.jpg

This shows some construction details. Cardstock covers a 5mm foamboard body. I used multiple laminations which hopefully will help act as light baffles. The film plane is curved to make the illumination more even across the film plane. The rear slide lets me see the frame numbers on the backing paper (hence my request the other night!). I've got some Acros defrosting at the moment and will give it a go over the next few days!

P1000706.jpg

Zuiko 100mm f2.8 from ebay, and 135mm f2.8 and Vivitar 24-48mm from Ed.

That's my lens buying done for the year!

Back