Official Olympus E-PL5 thread. (other m4/3 are welcome too!) Show off your pics!

Nice one again!
Must get some of mine out and post them!

LUMIX G1

lurks in background...:D

LUMIX G1

lurks in background...:D

Welcome G!
S'pose 4/3 would be ok too!
(well, we can get an adapter to use the lenses on our M4/3)!

Welcome G!
S'pose 4/3 would be ok too!
(well, we can get an adapter to use the lenses on our M4/3)!

what i like about my micro 4/3 is the absence of the mirror and the quietness of the shutter
its a cool little body but how people then want to blow it all away with adaptors and 4/3 standard lenses...sort of escapes me
if i did that though i would have a better selection of prime lenses?

what i like about my micro 4/3 is the absence of the mirror and the quietness of the shutter
its a cool little body but how people then want to blow it all away with adaptors and 4/3 standard lenses...sort of escapes me
You would. My favourite legacy lens at the moment is the OM fit 50mm 1.8, with an ebay £6 adapter, I can get super sharp images for less moola!

its a cool little body but how people then want to blow it all away with adaptors and 4/3 standard lenses...sort of escapes me?
This is exactly what I've just done. µ43 pancakes on my E-P5 for when slimness and lightness is required, a couple of longer digital lenses for more reach, and now a selection of film lenses for when I really want to suck in some light.

You would. My favourite legacy lens at the moment is the OM fit 50mm 1.8, with an ebay £6 adapter, I can get super sharp images for less moola!

got me going there..prime lenses are winners

This is exactly what I've just done. µ43 pancakes on my E-P5 for when slimness and lightness is required, a couple of longer digital lenses for more reach, and now a selection of film lenses for when I really want to suck in some light.

drool...i promised myself when i took up photography again ...one lens only

drool...i promised myself when i took up photography again ...one lens only
Yeh, but legacy lenses are much cheaper! AND you can get your primes.

I'm one of the people you don't understand :D as I've mostly been using old manual lenses on my MFT cameras for a few reasons...

1. They're cheap :D I'm lucky enough in that I'm comfortable and I can afford any thing I want but I get a kick out of using cheap gear :D
2. They're... just... lovely :D I think that manual prime lenses just look gorgeous, well, some of them do to me :D
3. Old manual lenses have end stops and markings and I find them a joy to use whereas personally I think that no end stop and no marking FBW lenses are soulless joyless things and to be honest when I use them I don't really enjoy the experience.

Yes, an adapter adds bulk and a little weight too but my Panasonic G1 when fitted with an adapter and a 28 or 50mm lens is still a very significant bulk and weight saving over my now sold 5D no matter what it's fitted with.

Manual lenses and adapters are just a different way of doing things and in fact I now use them on my Sony A7 :D

Random pictures taken with old manual lenses...

Last edited:
I'm one of the people you don't understand :D as I've mostly been using old manual lenses on my MFT cameras for a few reasons...

1. They're cheap :D I'm lucky enough in that I'm comfortable and I can afford any thing I want but I get a kick out of using cheap gear :D
2. They're... just... lovely :D I think that manual prime lenses just look gorgeous, well, some of them do to me :D
3. Old manual lenses have end stops and markings and I find them a joy to use whereas personally I think that no end stop and no marking FBW lenses are soulless joyless things and to be honest when I use them I don't really enjoy the experience.

Yes, an adapter adds bulk and a little weight too but my Panasonic G1 when fitted with an adapter and a 28 or 50mm lens is still a very significant bulk and weight saving over my now sold 5D no matter what it's fitted with.

Manual lenses and adapters are just a different way of doing things and in fact I now use them on my Sony A7 :D

Random pictures taken with old manual lenses...

That top one is in Redcar isn't it Alan? :D

interesting
what functions do you lose
you keep focus..
what about metering??

i am an ex manual 35mm user and used onboard auto metering and manual focus of course

Yeh, but legacy lenses are much cheaper! AND you can get your primes.

well most of my 'profitable' shots are at 14mm (28@35mm) and i can crop them a bit
so i would be looking for a prime around that area
one which connects fully with my G1
auto focus and exposure...what else is there?..well exposure lock i guess

well most of my 'profitable' shots are at 14mm (28@35mm) and i can crop them a bit
so i would be looking for a prime around that area
one which connects fully with my G1
auto focus and exposure...what else is there?..well exposure lock i guess

You will not get a prime legacy lens at 14mm, 21 or 28mm are more the affordable norm (42/56mm@35) but you can buy (or will be able to soon) a 0.5 wide converter to keep native field of view. BUT it will be the same cost as a dedicated prime for your camera.
The joy of legacy primes for me is mostly nostalgia, already had Olympus lenses for my OM10 and have always loved them, and in my opinion one of the best for M43 use.
PLUS, with the Olympus having IS in the body, these lenses gain that very useful tool once the actual focal length is chosen in the IS menu.
They will be fully manual lenses, no AF, exept when using 4/3 lenses, but I find an EVF is a boon for focusing.
Found this about the G1-
"You can shoot with adapted lenses in all available modes, except for the Panasonic "iA" mode (this is true for the G1, GF1, and GH1 at least). In any mode other than 'M' or 'S' the camera will still meter and select the exposure for you. Regardless of mode you will always need to set the aperture value manually on the lens itself (with the exception of Four Thirds lenses which are controlled in the same manner as native Micro Four Thirds lenses)."
Don't know about exposure lock on the G1, but I cant get it working on my E-PL5.

On G1 manual lenses work in aperture and manual modes and exposure lock works in aperture.

On my A7 manual lenses work in aperture and manual and also shutter mode with auto iso enabled. The A7 is a joy to use in shutter in low light as you just set the aperture and shutter speed and let the iso float.

28mm lenses are easy to find and are cheap, 24mm will cost you more and anything wider will probably be rare and expensive.

Last edited:
The neighborhood squirrel payed me a visit this morning.
E-M10 and m75-300mm

Don't Cry For Me
15327657749_3ee37efe4f_o.jpg

Last edited:

G1 with the 14-45 kit zoom
and a little help from my friends

G1 with the 14-45 kit zoom
and a little help from my friends
Nice autumnal flavour to that one G!
Like the lead in too.

One with the 14mm and a snap shot with the 7.5mm to show the distortion.

Looking forward to seeing them matey (y)

As promised, old cameras!
Ross Ensign Ful-Vue Super. A project for the near future.
Ross Ensign Ful-Vue circa 1953/4. by wontolla1, on Flickr

Ross Ensign Ful-Vue circa 1953/4. by wontolla1, on Flickr

'The Soldiers Camera' Kodak Vest Pocket Camera from WW1. And still working after 100 years! (about)
'The Soldiers Camera' by wontolla1, on Flickr

'The Soldiers Camera' by wontolla1, on Flickr

Kershaw (Soho) Penguin Folder 1953.
Kershaw Penguin Folder circa 1953. by wontolla1, on Flickr

Kershaw Penguin Folder circa 1953. by wontolla1, on Flickr

Olympus have released a new 1.4 teleconverter for M43 HERE
Good news! Cant find a price yet though!

Found it £299 at WEX

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. I can feel the pull of M43 getting stronger. Does it work with all m43 lenses?
Dunno, be a bummer if it doesn't!
Have to look for a review!

Back