OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

Llangollen, Horse drawn canal trip.
Llangollen.jpg

Toonie

Love the subject matter in this shot, works really well.

I have had a couple of IR cameras but sold them due to lack of use, however I now have a hankering for another. I would ideally like to get one of my older m43s bodies converted but the cost is somewhat off putting. Where do you get the filters that you use in your conversions? I am wondering about getting a filter and having a crack at a DIY job.

I should have some more IR images coming soon as I have just converted another compact to 760IR :)

A couple of mine from last weekend (only just got around to editing them)
I'm still trying to learn how to "see" images in infrared and try to figure out what will or won't work.

These are from one of my favourite places to visit for a bit of photographic inspiration - St Woolos Cemetery in Newport. It's the oldest public cemetery in the UK with graves dating back to the 1850s. Some of the Victorian monuments and statues are simply beautiful.

As well as the graves, there are four chapels and a synagogue within the grounds (all now disused) which make for great subjects.
The next two shots are of the non-conformist chapel - the first one from its arched porch and the second showing its tower peeking from amongst the trees. It always reminds me of a fairy tale castle from this angle, but it's very difficult to get a clear shot with all the overhanging trees.

And finally a shot of the Anglican chapel. One of my favourite buildings there with its bell tower and Gothic arches.

Really must go back there again soon after some more practice with the IR and see if I can get something better.

A quick test shot from a Samsung compact I got from fleabay. Took me about half an hour to convert. I'm not overly happy with the filter so am trying to source a better one (its made from a Lee polyester technical filter (Wratten 87 equiv) cut to shape - works for now).
I am looking to change this to 720 as I prefer a bit of colour. I think that 870 is a bit too deep into the IR range.
Jpeg straight from camera - no editing whatsoever.

Last edited:
wow, really picking up speed now gang :) Keep em coming.

Here's a few from our weekend at Warwick Folk Festival, Fuji S5700 IR at 650nm. Colour channel swap in Khromagery, bit of noise reduction of hue shift...

1- River

9393210536_66ddfd9db2_b.jpg

2- Castle

9390442309_0b64a9a659_b.jpg

3- A rarity for me, a human being, playing the fiddle

9393217384_c1908aa63c_b.jpg

4 - and finally, some Morris Dancers

9393218574_185bd5c762_b.jpg

Hi, great shots! :)

I'm new with IR photography, here a sample taked with my Nikon D5100 using a R72 filter, f/16 (18-55mm nikkor lens) @100 iso and 8 minutes exposure:

Good to see a few more posting IR on here :) I really must get out with the two converted bodies of mine, in the meantime here are a few old favourites of mine :) 40D converted to 665NM.

6205299877_938e2f2c7e_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_9420 LR Infra Red by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_9403 LR 1 Infra Red by laidbackman, on Flickr

6251318405_035edcfa4b_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_1965 3 Infra Red by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Panasonic G1 720NM

6622112007_5994c00ca2_b.jpg
[/url] P1040248 1 by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

6582096263_89b05dcdd7_b.jpg
[/url] P1040188 1 Tweedmouth Infra Red 720nm by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

7289095388_32e5db5392_b.jpg
[/url] P1040624_1108 PP 2 Steelrig Hadrians Wall Infra Red by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Great shots, Mal! :)

But there's something here I don't understand, maybe because my english is very limited, but... are the photos in this thread the result of using software to modified a normal colour picture or by using modified cameras or filters?

I'm using a Nikon D5100 camera, a 18-55mm Nikkor lens with a R72 filter. And Gimp to resize and convert the image to black and white.

Cheers David, promise to add something new soon.

Thanks Ariel , they are all taken using a converted camera or using a filter attached to the lens such as yours and then processed in photoshop.

Last edited:
Great shots, Mal! :)

But there's something here I don't understand, maybe because my english is very limited, but... are the photos in this thread the result of using software to modified a normal colour picture or by using modified cameras or filters?

I'm using a Nikon D5100 camera, a 18-55mm Nikkor lens with a R72 filter. And Gimp to resize and convert the image to black and white.

Hi Ariel, they are all taken either with a converted camera or a filter, and then post processed to achieve different results.

Wow Mal, that is beautifull would make a cracking parge format print.

Thanks Russ (y), having just finished my own tog room complete with a Canon pro 9000 printer I may just consider that for the wall.

But I have horses in the field and will make up my mistake by trying a few out.

Well I am holiday next week with my newly converted (and reconverted) compact so will see what I can find in Wales - particularly Snowdon:)

I converted it a few days ago to 870nm but decided it was too strong so have got another filter and gone for 685nm. I think I prefer a lower cutoff point to get some false colour in there (can always convert to mono afterwards)

I'll let you know what I come back with:)

wow, really picking up speed now gang :) Keep em coming.

Here's a few from our weekend at Warwick Folk Festival, Fuji S5700 IR at 650nm. Colour channel swap in Khromagery, bit of noise reduction of hue shift...

1- River

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2872/9393210536_66ddfd9db2_b.jpg[/IMG]

2- Castle

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2808/9390442309_0b64a9a659_b.jpg[/IMG]

3- A rarity for me, a human being, playing the fiddle

9393217384_c1908aa63c_b.jpg

4 - and finally, some Morris Dancers

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5550/9393218574_185bd5c762_b.jpg[/IMG]

Hmm David, like it :) never thought of using my IR camera for a bit of street photography :)

Well I am holiday next week with my newly converted (and reconverted) compact so will see what I can find in Wales - particularly Snowdon:)

I converted it a few days ago to 870nm but decided it was too strong so have got another filter and gone for 685nm. I think I prefer a lower cutoff point to get some false colour in there (can always convert to mono afterwards)

I'll let you know what I come back with:)

Hope you get some good results Julian did you not mean 665 ? they usually go 590/665/720/

Back