Critique Old Hands.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Trying to think out of the box a little for an up and coming, themed competition. Theme here is 'Contours'.

I got creative today, taking a basic photo and processing it quite heavily and also with some textures and layers.

I might have one ticked off.

Comments welcome.

5Div, Sigma 24-105Art, ISO 200, f8, 1/200 sec, 80mm.

Old Hands. by Dale, on Flickr

Lighting is excellent imho, and the texture is also bang on. Nice idea

This is great - loads of contours in those hands! May I ask how you dealt with lighting and PP?

As has been said it is good, engaging and punchy with intense emphasis on the subject and an interesting take on the theme but I guess you might be wanting some detailed crit? Overall, for me, the fall-off between the brightest part of the fingers and wrists is a little too much, I would tone down the highlights a smidge. Also I am little confused as to where the light is coming from, for example the thumbs, one is catching the light and the other is in shadow and yet some of the fingers on the right of the image are catching the light.

I know you know what you want so take this with a pinch of salt, just my thoughts.

Well executed!

Love this, it's an excellent shot. Great detail and composition.

This is great - loads of contours in those hands! May I ask how you dealt with lighting and PP?

Thank you all.

loads of contours in those hands! May I ask how you dealt with lighting and PP?

Yup, my own hands, 55 years young but they've done lots of miles. :LOL:

The lighting was simply a single flash, bounced off the ceiling. I was experimenting with it and bouncing it off the ceiling. The difficult part was getting things sharp, as I was using a 10 second timer, focusing on one hand, then jumping round in front of the camera and setting my hands up in front of the lens whilst waiting on the timer. I lost count but it was about 30 shots before I got one sharp. I think being close to the lens and the shallower DOF involved made nailing focus difficult.

Processing was just some radial masks, heavy handed (no punn intended) on the texture slider, and some clarity too, although a bit more careful with that. A mask all around it then, inverted to darken the corners and edges. I then did normal processing in PS, levels, curves, just the normal basic stuff, then put a texture over it that I'd created during one of the lockdowns.

As has been said it is good, engaging and punchy with intense emphasis on the subject and an interesting take on the theme but I guess you might be wanting some detailed crit? Overall, for me, the fall-off between the brightest part of the fingers and wrists is a little too much, I would tone down the highlights a smidge. Also I am little confused as to where the light is coming from, for example the thumbs, one is catching the light and the other is in shadow and yet some of the fingers on the right of the image are catching the light.

I know you know what you want so take this with a pinch of salt, just my thoughts.

I appreciate that Chris thank you.

The flash was quite close, on a kitchen worktop. I did have the inbuilt flash diffuser over the flash but I tried to subdue it by bouncing it off the ceiling. There's also a large, window looking over the garden to my right and I think this might be where I made a mistake, as I didn't expose just for flash, so maybe some of the ambient from the window makes the shadows/highlights look a bit odd. We also have a silver fridge/freezer, that could possibly be bouncing some light too.

The highlights caught my eye during processing, the second finger down was very bright, so I put a radial mask over it and pulled down the exposure. Now you mention it, I think I need to put a few more masks on some areas to balance the lighting.

take this with a pinch of salt, just my thoughts.

Not at all, I always have time for good, honest crit. It's a great way to improve, I wish there were more of it. (y)

Last edited:
Thank you all.

Yup, my own hands, 55 years young but they've done lots of miles. :LOL:

The lighting was simply a single flash, bounced off the ceiling. I was experimenting with it and bouncing it off the ceiling. The difficult part was getting things sharp, as I was using a 10 second timer, focusing on one hand, then jumping round in front of the camera and setting my hands up in front of the lens whilst waiting on the timer. I lost count but it was about 30 shots before I got one sharp. I think being close to the lens and the shallower DOF involved made nailing focus difficult.

Processing was just some radial masks, heavy handed (no punn intended) on the texture slider, and some clarity too, although a bit more careful with that. A mask all around it then, inverted to darken the corners and edges. I then did normal processing in PS, levels, curves, just the normal basic stuff, then put a texture over it that I'd created during one of the lockdowns.

I appreciate that Chris thank you.

The flash was quite close, on a kitchen worktop. I did have the inbuilt flash diffuser over the flash but I tried to subdue it by bouncing it off the ceiling. There's also a large, window looking over the garden to my right and I think this might be where I made a mistake, as I didn't expose just for flash, so maybe some of the ambient from the window makes the shadows/highlights look a bit odd. We also have a silver fridge/freezer, that could possibly be bouncing some light too.

The highlights caught my eye during processing, the second finger down was very bright, so I put a radial mask over it and pulled down the exposure. Now you mention it, I think I need to put a few more masks on some areas to balance the lighting.

Not at all, I always have time for good, honest crit. It's a great way to improve, I wish there were more of it. (y)

Thanks Dale, I appreciate the information and the original is useful too - it helps me in my efforts to ’reverse engineer’ images to better understand the lighting arrangements.

Back