Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hmm AI works but creates some significant haloing around some parts of the photo that isn't there on the original ... may not be for me either.

Hmm AI works but creates some significant haloing around some parts of the photo that isn't there on the original ... may not be for me either.
.... Can you deselect the AI noise reduction in Workspace? You could then Export as a TIFF and noise reduce in your usual workflow.

Unless you are processing High Res ORI image files, why are you wanting to use Workspace?

Last edited:
Camerasize.com have already got the OM 1 and new lenses on their site
.... Click this link below to specifically size compare the OM-1 with both E-M1 MkIII and E-M1X :

https://biSPAM/3H2QFjm

Last edited:
.... Can you deselect the AI noise reduction in Workspace? You could then Export as a TIFF and noise reduce in your usual workflow.

Unless you are processing High Res ORI image files, why are you wanting to use Workspace?
Workspace is a general viewer/processor for Olympus, much like Nikon NX Studio is for Nikon and supports my E-M5 Mk3.
In theory it should have the best 'algorithms' for the Olympus RAW (ORF in my case) files but the AI Noise Reduction isn't a patch on DXO's Deep Prime for me.

Workspace is a general viewer/processor for Olympus, much like Nikon NX Studio is for Nikon and supports my E-M5 Mk3.
In theory it should have the best 'algorithms' for the Olympus RAW (ORF in my case) files but the AI Noise Reduction isn't a patch on DXO's Deep Prime for me.
.... Yes but being a freebie Workspace has limited options etc rather like Canon's own DPP(?) app has.

I prefer Capture One 22 and FastRawViewer. Others prefer Lightroom and ON1 2022 is also a contender.

Last edited:
Re: OM-1 raw files

I have downloaded a few of the raw files from the Imaging Resource site and examined them in OM Workspace.

IMO the new sensor in regard to noise seems like a bit of game changer.....................have a look for yourself at the ISO 16000 and ISO 25600 the noise is well controlled and oh so different to the older sensor in the EM-1 series (Mk2, MK3 and M1X)

So, it seems to bode well for using Auto ISO at up to perhaps ISO 8000 without breaking a sweat :thinking:

PS unless of course OMW is only reading the embedded JPEG and applying some type of pre-set processing
NB I have not installed the AI NR in Workspace ;)

Re: OM-1 raw files

I have downloaded a few of the raw files from the Imaging Resource site and examined them in OM Workspace.

IMO the new sensor in regard to noise seems like a bit of game changer.....................have a look for yourself at the ISO 16000 and ISO 25600 the noise is well controlled and oh so different to the older sensor in the EM-1 series (Mk2, MK3 and M1X)

So, it seems to bode well for using Auto ISO at up to perhaps ISO 8000 without breaking a sweat :thinking:
.... This news bodes very badly! Very badly indeed!! For all those being tempted to buy an OM-1, resistance is now futile and it's probably not too late to pre-order :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As we all know, the Achilles heel of the m4/3 sensor has always been noise when compared with full-frame. It has become acceptably manageable by shooting RAW and using third-party noise reduction software but the noise factor has always compromised other settings in the holy trinity. This new sensor's noise performance looks very promising indeed but I will reserve my judgement until post-processing my own RAW image files. However, I am trusting and expecting a significant improvement as claimed and reported.

Something often overlooked when comparing m4/3 with FF is the advantage of the slight increase in DoF which m4/3 sensors offer. This is particularly useful for macro and wildlife subjects. Adding significantly improved noise reduction is a potential game changer.

PS unless of course OMW is only reading the embedded JPEG and applying some type of pre-set processing
NB I have not installed the AI NR in Workspace ;)
.... I would hope that OM Workspace is definitely not applying any type of pre-set processing other than basic RAW conversion, otherwise it limits the photographer's subsequent editing options.

It's good news if there is the option not to install AI NR in Workspace - I think this is better left as a user's choice.

I doubt very much indeed if I will use Workspace, other than for Firmware updates, unless I shoot any RAW High Res ORI image files which other apps I use do not support - Capture One 22? ON1 2022? Yes, Workspace is OM's proprietary editor but it's a freebie which isn't receiving continual full-blooded development to rival the third party apps and it has a limited feature set. Or is that about to change? It would have a lot of catching up to do!

Some interesting thoughts from Chris & Jordan:

View: https://youtu.be/SE7pSEySG6I
.... Referring to what is being said in this video and btw I do like and always listen to what Chris has to say in his reviews :

- The whole megapixel subject is definitely a market perception. I thought most photographers had got past the more megapixels always equals a better camera era. Has he forgotten that a larger megapixel sensor usually results in bigger size heavier bodies and probably more *heat temperature to deal with? [* I stand to be corrected on the heat factor]

- Jordan's comments that OM and Panasonic should be "better friends" is totally unrealistic and impractical. Doesn't he know that the product development teams within brands work independently of each other to achieve their results. Also, marketing and financial profits would be severely compromised. Nice in theory but it ain't gonna happen buddy!

- O M G ! Jordan!! He wants cameras to be more like smartphones. That would take away all the control and art of photography. My opinion of his ideas has just nose-dived - He should stick to video.

- Video? I never shoot video and so can't comment.

- AF Tracking has to couple with the OM-1's AI Subject Detection mode for it to work as well as in its rival camera brands.

- They make some good points about simplifying the menu functions even further..

- Reading between the lines, as Chris says that the OM-1 is "the first in a new line" this strongly suggests that there will not be a E-M1X mkII.

Don't forget, guys - There is no such thing as a perfect camera. We each have to individually decide which camera tools suit us the best and, most importantly, which we enjoy using the most.

Last edited:
.... Referring to what is being said in this video and btw I do like and always listen to what Chris has to say in his reviews :

- The whole megapixel subject is definitely a market perception. I thought most photographers had got past the more megapixels always equals a better camera era. Has he forgotten that a larger megapixel sensor results in bigger size heavier bodies and probably more *heat temperature to deal with? [* I stand to be corrected on the heat factor]

- Jordan's comments that OM and Panasonic should be "better friends" is totally unrealistic and impractical. Doesn't he know that the product development teams within brands work independently of each other to achieve their results. Also, marketing and financial profits would be severely compromised. Nice in theory but it ain't gonna happen buddy!

- O M G ! Jordan!! He wants cameras to be like smartphones. That would take away all the control and art of photography. My opinion of his ideas has just nose-dived - He should stick to video.

- Video? I never shoot video and so can't comment.

- AF Tracking has to couple with the OM-1's AI Subject Detection mode for it to work as well as in its rival camera brands.

- They make some good points about simplifying the menu functions even further..

- Reading between the lines, as Chris says that the OM-1 is "the first in a new line" this strongly suggests that there will not be a E-M1X mkII.

Don't forget, guys - There is no such thing as a perfect camera. We each have to individually decide which camera tools suit us the best and, most importantly, which we enjoy using the most.
Yep completely agree with everything you have said here.

Really annoys me that they are still banging on about megapixels !

51892661033_54d363a0b4_k.jpg

Another one from our winter trip to Devon - sorry about this photo being taken on a 20 MP camera :(

Last edited:
The Nikon D3 only had 12mpx. It was crap. No pros ever used it.

And another horsey shot on a 20meg camera :

Caity Smith Equine by Robin Procter, on Flickr

There's no EXIF because of being a version with my overlay.

Really annoys me that they are still banging on about megapixels !
.... Number of megapixels used to be the only yardstick used by casual photographers to judge a camera. It became an established marketing tool. But technology never stands still and possibly one day there will be higher megapixel m4/3 cameras but there are pros and cons as I understand it. I don't doubt that the Olympus/OM engineers will have already considered it for the OM-1.

I should know because I used to have one but isn't the Canon DSLR flagship 1DX-2 'only' a 22megapixel camera?

It's a bit like the fact that zoom lenses were considered crap compared with primes. High quality primes, not all, still have an edge but the difference nowadays is pretty small. For example, compare the Olympus ED 300mm F/4 Pro which is renowned for its sharpness, with the ED 150-400mm TC Pro even when the built-in TC is inline.

Last edited:
Because I was bored, and for curiosity, I ran this image through DxO PureRaw. It was taken in 2008 on an Olympus E520. a 10megapixel camera.

In the sheds by Stephen Lee, on Flickr
.... And it works very well in B&W too in my opinion. I love steam trains as well as horses!

Regarding megapixels I’ve had cameras from 2mp to 61mp and currently have 16mp and 24mp cameras. Between 12-61mp I can’t see any noticeable difference in the final image unless cropping heavily.

High mp cameras have their uses but are not necessary (imo) for general shooting.

Surely it’s just not the m.p of the camera that counts it’s also the resolving power of the lens ? Otherwise we might as well use milk bottles as lenses .
I have tried loads over the years usually own brand ones are best ,but sometimes a odd variable shows up

Last edited:
Surely it’s just not the m.p of the camera that counts it’s also the resolving power of the lens ? Otherwise we might as well use milk bottles as lenses .
I have tried loads over the years usually own brand ones are best ,but sometimes a odd variable shows up
Yes this is correct, generally speaking though detail does tend to be higher even though lenses rarely resolve the max potential.

Last edited:
.... And it works very well in B&W too in my opinion. I love steam trains as well as horses!
Thanks Robin. I was impressed how much detail I was able to pull from the very heavy shadows with, to my eye at least, minimal noise.

Thanks Robin. I was impressed how much detail I was able to pull from the very heavy shadows with, to my eye at least, minimal noise.
.... When an image pleases the naked eye people don't really have to pixel peep. If someone pixel peeps before what an image communicates they are missing something, imo.

On the question about the HLD-10 Battery Grip and it only holding 1 battery and the other battery # 2 being in the camera body's chamber :

Fortunately you can select which battery to use up first before automatically changing to the other < page 253 in the Manual PDF. So I suggest selecting the body battery first in priority and auto selecting the grip's battery second and this means that you can replace the grip's battery when both are empty and so do so without removing the grip and exposing its terminals to the elements.

Obviously you can carry around a portable battery pack in the field but quite honestly that's a faff, especially in adverse weather conditions. It's not the same as tethering a camera to a powerpack or laptop in a studio.

Last edited:
I’m trying to persuade myself that as the world as we know it is at the beginning of coming to an end, an updated camera isn't going to make much difference….

Last edited:
I’m trying to persidae myself that as the world as we know it is at the beginning of coming to an end, an updated camera isn't going to make much difference….
Yep...go for it..

I’m trying to persidae myself that as the world as we know it is at the beginning of coming to an end, an updated camera isn't going to make much difference….
.... All the more reason to go for it. No-one needs a new camera but no-one needs a lot of things which we can enjoy using and enriching our lives with.

Regarding megapixels I’ve had cameras from 2mp to 61mp and currently have 16mp and 24mp cameras. Between 12-61mp I can’t see any noticeable difference in the final image unless cropping heavily.

High mp cameras have their uses but are not necessary (imo) for general shooting.

If there was no noticeable difference I doubt anybody would use the high res facility and would it even exist
I can see a difference in detail between 20mp and the HR 50mp file and i'm sure most people can.
All the talk of 20mp being enough is fine because it has to be, it isn't an option.
Would that still stand if you could have the rumoured Panasonic GH6 25mp sensor with no penalties?

How many people said I don't need more than 16mp, but still bought the 20mp models anyway.
No doubt it is a nice camera, but I think the GH6 will be the better seller with video being such a big thing these days.

Last edited:
If there was no noticeable difference I doubt anybody would use the high res facility and would it even exist
I can see a difference in detail between 20mp and the HR 50mp file and i'm sure most people can.
All the talk of 20mp being enough is fine because it has to be, it isn't an option.
Would that still stand if you could have the rumoured Panasonic GH6 25mp sensor with no penalties?

How many people said I don't need more than 16mp, but still bought the 20mp models anyway.
No doubt it is a nice camera, but I think the GH6 will be the better seller with video being such a big thing these days.
I'm not sure my point came across very well. I view mainly on a laptop or iPad, the laptop having a resolution of 1728 x 1117 which is roughly 2mp by my calculations, therefore at normal viewing sizes it's not doing to show any extra detail. Of course, when editing and viewing at 1:1, or cropping heavily the extra detail is apparent. There are times that I benefited from the 61mp, however most of the time I don't (y)

I'm not sure my point came across very well. I view mainly on a laptop or iPad, the laptop having a resolution of 1728 x 1117 which is roughly 2mp by my calculations, therefore at normal viewing sizes it's not doing to show any extra detail. Of course, when editing and viewing at 1:1, or cropping heavily the extra detail is apparent. There are times that I benefited from the 61mp, however most of the time I don't (y)

It does make more sense in that context, I agree its fine when viewed at those resolutions
Once you go 1:1 for sharpening 20mp soon loses detail especially on the latest 4k monitors.

Personally cannot see myself investing in any new m4/3 gear, will keep what iv'e got, its fine for my uses.
20mp is enough for my printing purposes, but the prints from my daughters 42mp camera are nicer detail wise at A3+

.... Was this back in the old days when the average photographer perceived that the higher the number of megapixels, the higher the quality of camera it was?

May I remind you that the Canon 1DX mk3 is only 20.1MP although of course it is full-frame. There are solid reasons why Olympus OM decided to develop a 20MP sensor rather than a higher one - All technically explained in numerous presentations online.

.... If the Panasonic GH6 is cheaper than the OM-1, then that might be a major factor in sales. It depends on the subjects you shoot and how seriously you take your photography.

But what about the Panasonic lenses compared with the Olympus/OM Pro lenses? - It's equivalent to Jaguar vs Aston Martin.

And then there's also the industry leading second-to-none weathersealing certification - This should not be underestimated, we live in the UK!

And as you mention video :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKIZhtOA60

There is no such thing as the perfect camera but ;)

Last edited:
Back