Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

It does make more sense in that context, I agree its fine when viewed at those resolutions
Once you go 1:1 for sharpening 20mp soon loses detail especially on the latest 4k monitors.

Personally cannot see myself investing in any new m4/3 gear, will keep what iv'e got, its fine for my uses.
20mp is enough for my printing purposes, but the prints from my daughters 42mp camera are nicer detail wise at A3+
Yeah it's all dependant on the individual. I've printed at A3 and above and not see much difference, but then I always output to 300dpi so I'm not sure whether lightroom adds extra 'detail' to make it 300dpi or not, I've never done the math tbh.

4K is only 8.3mp though, so even with the older m4/3 cameras you've got twice as many as you need (y)

Last edited:
Yeah it's all dependant on the individual. I've printed at A3 and above and not see much difference, but then I always output to 300dpi so I'm not sure whether lightroom adds extra 'detail' to make it 300dpi or not, I've never done the math tbh.

4K is only 8.3mp though, so even with the older m4/3 cameras you've got twice as many as you need (y)

I seem to recall that 16mp was a bit shy of pixels to print A3 at 300dpi, but 20mp gave the required amount with a little bit of leeway.
A3 is the largest I print at hence my comment of sticking with what I have, decent enough for hanging on my wall.

Last edited:
I have my foot in both Canon and Olympus camps and really like them both. I have the Canon R5 with lots of Megapixels - don't ask me how many because actually it is something I have never considered important, BUT... I can crop in so much, it really is a bonus when your subject is distant. So where I did think it was all hype and snobbery, I can now see the benefit of having more pixels. However I wouldn't want them at the expense of more noise or a degradation in quality, so it is horses for courses.

I am planning on upgrading to the OM 1 as the better noise handling and better eye detect will be very welcome.

I seem to recall that 16mp was a bit shy of pixels to print A3 at 300dpi, but 20mp gave the required amount with a little bit of leeway.
A3 is the largest I print at hence my comment of sticking with what I have, decent enough for hanging on my wall.
I can’t honestly remember, all I know is that my EM10 and EM1 have printed fine at A3. I actually have one EM10 photo printed at 75cm but that’s on a canvas so not the best to assess IQ, however it stands up against images from my D750 that’s either side of it (y)

I can’t honestly remember, all I know is that my EM10 and EM1 have printed fine at A3. I actually have one EM10 photo printed at 75cm but that’s on a canvas so not the best to assess IQ, however it stands up against images from my D750 that’s either side of it (y)
.... Image files from my 20MP E-M1X print out extremely well at A3 size on Giclee - Well enough to sell prints for wall hanging. I haven't had an order for bigger size prints yet.

Last edited:
I have my foot in both Canon and Olympus camps and really like them both. I have the Canon R5 with lots of Megapixels - don't ask me how many because actually it is something I have never considered important, BUT... I can crop in so much, it really is a bonus when your subject is distant. So where I did think it was all hype and snobbery, I can now see the benefit of having more pixels. However I wouldn't want them at the expense of more noise or a degradation in quality, so it is horses for courses.

I am planning on upgrading to the OM 1 as the better noise handling and better eye detect will be very welcome.
.... Having more megapixels is a bonus beyond any doubt but, as you say, you don't want them at the expense of not improving noise and other compromises in a m4/3 camera and that is exactly the point and one which Olympus/OM have realised for their OM-1 offering.

If someone needs more megapixels there are plenty of other cameras in the market to choose from.

Quality of lenses are also a factor in achieving image quality.

We’ve got a similar set up I think, I’ve got R5 and a few lens and also run a Panasonic kit and Olympus along side it..

51892661033_54d363a0b4_k.jpg

Another one from our winter trip to Devon - sorry about this photo being taken on a 20 MP camera :(
This is my first photo to make Explore on Flickr ! Not totally sure what that is !

This is my first photo to make Explore on Flickr ! Not totally sure what that is !
It’s a selection of the best photos of the day, no-one’s 100% sure on the algorithms though. Part of it appears to be number of likes and/or comments but then I’ve had photos that have only had around 10 likes before being ‘explored’ :thinking:

It’s a lovely shot, and I also “liked” it on Flickr. I’ve had a number “explored” but to this day I have no idea of the criteria. Some of mine which did, I thought they were only so-so, and others which I thought were really quite good were ignored. Just one of life’s great mysteries, second only to what is past our universe. :D

It’s a selection of the best photos of the day, no-one’s 100% sure on the algorithms though. Part of it appears to be number of likes and/or comments but then I’ve had photos that have only had around 10 likes before being ‘explored’ :thinking:
It’s a lovely shot, and I also “liked” it on Flickr. I’ve had a number “explored” but to this day I have no idea of the criteria. Some of mine which did, I thought they were only so-so, and others which I thought were really quite good were ignored. Just one of life’s great mysteries, second only to what is past our universe. :D

.... Yes, it's guesswork about what algorithms 'Explore' uses and certainly totally unpredictable.

However, it is always encouraging when anyone else likes your best efforts and 'Explore' does greatly expand the views of your photos.

Well done Justin! @justa1972 - It's a lovely picture and worthy of Explore in my opinion.

.... Yes, it's guesswork about what algorithms 'Explore' uses and certainly totally unpredictable.

However, it is always encouraging when anyone else likes your best efforts and 'Explore' does greatly expand the views of your photos.

Well done Justin! @justa1972 - It's a lovely picture and worthy of Explore in my opinion.

Thanks Robin that’s very kind of you :)

Lack of NVIDIA GPU here, obviously no love for AMD
Wasn't impressed with the software, so not much of a loss for me.

I checked it out yesterday with my new Mac Mini M1 (16gb Ram), and surprisingly it downloaded the AI plugin and shows it in the tabs on the right and seemed to work when I tried it. I saw no mention of it being able to use the GPU of M1 macs (just Nvdia).

I'm the same both systems have their uses
Canon for low light and cropability.
Olympus for traveling weight benefits and size in windy conditions.
2 systems one perfect answer to any photographic problem.

Mike I have both lenses both a very good if you are considering buying the OM 1 with its improved iso performance and dynamic range the 100-400 it may overcome the F6.3 problem of low light that these sort of maximum F stop faces in the dull winter days I do use both these lenses with the 1 4TC which is excellent The 300 with the 1 4tc gives F5.6 again a useful combination out of the 2 I would say my 300mm + my 1 4tc is my most used combo guess it also depends if you prefer zooms over fixed primes

I have been waiting for Sony or Canon to release a decent spec mirrorless crop for birding but the OM-1 has got me interested. Which would give the better results, the Olympus 100-400mm or the 300mm f/4 pro along with a 1.4x?
.... Like Terry @mazdaman, I have shot with both lenses too but found the 300mm focal length often a disadvantage when trying to track birds in flight < When I say "track" I mean regardless of the camera's optional Bird Detection tracking. Also a zoom lens is far more flexible for this subject.

But a lot of this is down to personal technique and preference and not solely the lens. In many ways the AF speed of the body is more important.

The most skilled birds in flight togger in this particular thread is Jeff @the black fox imo and he shoots on the ED 100-400mm a lot but doesn't have the Oly 300mm F/4 Pro.

Last edited:
but I do have a nikon 300mm f4 af-s and while only M/F I still get good results with it even on b.i.f .. there are virtually no differences across the brands as long as you know what your doing in the first place . yes with full frame you get more m/p to play with but you still have to be spot on with focus . with olympus you gain that 2x crop which helps plus the excellent i.b.i.s os normal i.s with the longer lenses its all swings and roundabouts .. but for value for money I find MFT is the best option

Another linked reviewer from DPR here

Range of ISO tests and a (simple?) BiF set

Still looks very promising for the ISOI performance and the AF :D

PS don't forget to click for Google Translate to do its magic ;)

Another linked reviewer from DPR here

PS don't forget to click for Google Translate to do its magic ;)
.... I'm using Safari browser on a Mac and can't see any translate buttons.

.... I'm using Safari browser on a Mac and can't see any translate buttons.
:thinking: I found this page that may or may not be of help
Which suggests that Safari does do translations............but perhaps not all languages :banghead:

The language in question is Romanian.

:thinking: I found this page that may or may not be of help
Which suggests that Safari does do translations............but perhaps not all languages :banghead:

The language in question is Romanian.
Many Thanks! I'm not seeing any options to translate but scrolling down the page it seems that the whole Romanian Preview is mostly showing image comparisons and personally I always find those, even the downloadable images, of very limited interest - I can't make realistic judgements based on other people's image files. OMDS have made claims of improved noise and have explained in detail how they are achieving it and that is sufficient for me until I actually shoot my own typical images and judge for myself.

Don't photographers understand that noise from the sensor is directly influenced in each individual image by the lighting, subject, and camera settings - Every capture is different and we can only generalise about a sensor's noise performance and judge it in relative overall terms.

Whenever I come across sample files in reviews I quickly move past them.

Last edited:
FWIW ?
More to look forward to, especially Dave Smith talking about menu & settings?

I spotted this thread on DPReview

Heads up: OM System Day: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

This link from there, if you scroll towards the end of the page gives ‘shop’ links and states the Pre-order ‘freebies’ for each global region

OM SYSTEM Day | 24 February 2022 - OM SYSTEM (idloom.events)

And these 3 youtube in English

Language: English

We're kicking off OM SYSTEM Day in style with the Cla(i)res who'll be sharing their first impressions of the new camera LIVE and catching up with OM SYSTEM Ambassadors Chris Eyre Walker & Michaela Skovranova to get their take on the OM-1. Grab a coffee and join us for the show!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgB3BMp6zIE

Expert David Smith goes LIVE to talk us through the new menu system found in the OM-1 and explain the features built into this exciting new camera: if the OM-1 is already on your wishlist, don't miss out!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTt7Abq6mYw

Get to know the new OM-1with OM SYSTEM Ambassadors Brooke Bartleson and Peter Baumgarten as they share some of their favorite shots, and talk about their expieriences using the new camera in many different shooting situations. We will cover the different, innovative features that help better their photography from wildlife to close-ups, landscape to night skies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58v2I8kugmU

Last edited:
Big thanks to @Box Brownie !

At 10am this morning I'm going to be watching the Claires plus Special Guests and have put this question in the Chat :

"Michaela, as an E-M1X wildlife photographer, how do you feel the OM-1 is an improvement please? Or are you waiting for the possibility of a next version E-M1X?"

I think I know what the answers will be but every individual perspective is interesting.

Oh dear!! The two Clares are absolutely awful! So little being discussed about the camera!

Last edited:

At 10am this morning I'm going to be watching the Claires plus Special Guests and have put this question in the Chat :

"Michaela, as an E-M1X wildlife photographer, how do you feel the OM-1 is an improvement please? Or are you waiting for the possibility of a next version E-M1X?"

I think I know what the answers will be but every individual perspective is interesting.

Oh dear!! The two Clares are absolutely awful! So little being discussed about the camera!

Totally agree Robin, time is precious with the limited time that was allocated to discuss the new camera. Your question has a lot of relevance to your position but I wonder if Gavin in the background is very selective with questions he puts up as regards impact on possible sales of the OM-1!

Totally agree Robin, time is precious with the limited time that was allocated to discuss the new camera. Your question has a lot of relevance to your position but I wonder if Gavin in the background is very selective with questions he puts up as regards impact on possible sales of the OM-1!

I did not watch it live but will have a look later.

Based on your remark about it, I wonder if the streaming video due at 10pm UK time with Brook Bartleson & Peter Baumgarten will address the usage comparisons that you mention and more about using the camera in the field and settings used to achieve particular results???

Oh, I noted in the chat for the video that it was suggested to look at the great pictures that Andy Rouse had taken...........I cannot find such a video on his webpages :thinking:

Last edited:

Based on your remark about it, I wonder if the streaming video due at 10pm UK time with Brook Bartleson & Peter Baumgarten will address the usage comparisons that you mention and more about using the camera in the field and settings used to achieve particular results???

Oh, I noted in the chat for the video that it was suggested to look at the great pictures that Andy Rouse had taken...........I cannot find such a video on his webpages :thinking:

I don't think Andy Rouse had an OM-1 to test, I looked on his site as well but couldn't find anything.

Andy has had a OM -1 for some time his image is on Facebook Andy Rouse Photography below is the photo in question not sure the legal bit of sharing this photo so image accredited to Andy Rouse Photography FB_IMG_1645707966780.jpg

Andy has had a OM -1 for some time his image is on Facebook Andy Rouse Photography below is the photo in question not sure the legal bit of sharing this photo so image accredited to Andy Rouse Photography View attachment 345025
Ah! well strange that he has not posted more widely about his usage & thoughts???

.... I'm not bothered that my question wasn't answered. Afterall there were dozens of other people in the chat but the Clares answered so few of them at all. We heard more about where the Clares like to go on holiday!! They were so bad that I want to write to complain - I'll ask my friend in Olympus who to send an email to. They really were that bad!

Actually if my question had been answered (and others asked a very similar question) it probably would have persuaded M1X owners to buy OM-1 because it's new technology is a big leap forward and leapfrogs the M1X.

.... I'm not bothered that my question wasn't answered. Afterall there were dozens of other people in the chat but the Clares answered so few of them at all. We heard more about where the Clares like to go on holiday!! They were so bad that I want to write to complain - I'll ask my friend in Olympus who to send an email to. They really were that bad!

Actually if my question had been answered (and others asked a very similar question) it probably would have persuaded M1X owners to buy OM-1 because it's new technology is a big leap forward and leapfrogs the M1X.
Sounds like poor moderation and a sit for a chat & a coffee by the fireside does little to inform those 'who wish to know....more'.

As I said I wonder if the stream on at 10pm will be more informative :thinking:

PS Dave Smith's stream in about 33 mins might give some deeper insight into the Menu & settings....we shall see ;)

.... I'll be very interested to hear your opinions about it. The guest Chris Eyres was good.

I Follow Brooke on Instagram and love her wildlife photography and her absolute dedication. Sure, as visionaries/ambassadors they will be soft selling the latest products but they are not forced or even paid to use them. Tesni Ward and Andy Rouse used to shoot other brands - Cameras are just tools.

Last edited:
Sounds like poor moderation and a sit for a chat & a coffee by the fireside does little to inform those 'who wish to know....more'.
.... Nail on head!! You are absolutely right.
As I said I wonder if the stream on at 10pm will be more informative :thinking:
.... I think you mean 8pm (with Brooke). Historically Brooke usually describes a camera or lens's features in the context of her wildlife work. She is very down to earth (literally!!) as you'll see if you are not already familiar. She lives outdoors in Canada most of the time.
PS Dave Smith's stream in about 33 mins might give some deeper insight into the Menu & settings....we shall see ;)
.... Am going to watch it live. He is usually very good and I have already watched him talk about the OM-1 generally with lots of useful information.

Last edited:
That's my perception.
I must admit I don't have the inclination or time to sit through these presentations.
I'm hoping that the shipping date for orders is at the beginning of March (7th) rather than at the end (which I've heard from one dealer).
.... I sit through them because I have pre-ordered an OM-1 (and because I'm a GAS addict!) :D

@Box Brownie and @the black fox can confirm with me that all pre-orders for the UK will leave Germany (near Cologne) on 7th March. What we don't know yet is whether that is directly to the OMDS appointed dealers or OMDS UK as a single consignment. The bad news is that all will have to clear UK Customs and that could cause delays.

We were all told this after I asked the question in a zoom meeting with Michael Guthmann, OMDS Senior Product Specialist.

.... I sit through them because I have pre-ordered an OM-1 (and because I'm a GAS addict!) :D

@Box Brownie and @the black fox can confirm with me that all pre-orders for the UK will leave Germany (near Cologne) on 7th March. What we don't know yet is whether that is directly to the OMDS appointed dealers or OMDS UK as a single consignment. The bad news is that all will have to clear UK Customs and that could cause delays.

We were all told this after I asked the question in a zoom meeting with Michael Guthmann, OMDS Senior Product Specialist.
Don’t suppose there were any figures given for “all the pre orders”. Mine is with wex but assume Olympus direct orders will be fulfilled first..

That's my perception.
I must admit I don't have the inclination or time to sit through these presentations.
I'm hoping that the shipping date for orders is at the beginning of March (7th) rather than at the end (which I've heard from one dealer).

Yes, it is my understanding the 7th March is the shipping date for all(?) 'orders' to leave the OMDS warehouse in Germany, that will include all direct webshop orders and UK retailer orders.

I can only surmise the first customer user reports/reviews will come from other EU customers and likely USA.

PS the last order I had directly from the webshop I think took about 4 days....................but in the past I had one that took 10 days door to door!. It is possible with all customs pre-approved shipments things will run more smoothly but only time will tell :thinking:

Back