Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Can people tell me what the de facto hot shoe mounted flash is for Olympus? I have the em10mk4 and would like an external flash.

I ordinarily use a Nikon SB800 on my Nikon camera so something like that.
The current Olympus flashes are very expensive as are the corresponding Panasonics. Used FL600Rs can be found at reasonable prices. Then there's the Godox system: TT350O or V350O for a small flash, TT685II-O or V860III-O if you want larger. The TT685 and V860 are probably close to the SB800 in size.

The current Olympus flashes are very expensive as are the corresponding Panasonics. Used FL600Rs can be found at reasonable prices. Then there's the Godox system: TT350O or V350O for a small flash, TT685II-O or V860III-O if you want larger. The TT685 and V860 are probably close to the SB800 in size.
Thankyou. Yes an initial google returned unusually’ odd pricing for oem flashes!

Yes, especially as some of them are made by Sigma and are sold by both brands. The lastest models have built-in radio for off-camera use and almost match the current Sony flashes for price. I'm firmly in the Godox camp.

A few days spent shooting the Spa Six Hours event. From blue sky to hours of heavy rain.
The good - Olympus size, weight and weather proofing (this last a massive advantage given the conditions).
The bad... OM-1 locking up on mechanical shutter (I usually use electronic only), and the not-trustworthy subject recognition mode (which too frequently failed to find focus, so I ended up turning it off and shooting old school...).

Pic for interest - this is the ultimate winner of the headline Spa Six Hours race itself.

GT40 78-1.jpg

A few days spent shooting the Spa Six Hours event. From blue sky to hours of heavy rain.
The good - Olympus size, weight and weather proofing (this last a massive advantage given the conditions).
The bad... OM-1 locking up on mechanical shutter (I usually use electronic only), and the not-trustworthy subject recognition mode (which too frequently failed to find focus, so I ended up turning it off and shooting old school...).

Pic for interest - this is the ultimate winner of the headline Spa Six Hours race itself.

View attachment 369013
.... Nice one Chris!!

- Olympus weatherproofing can and does make all the difference! All day on surf beaches in winter, hot temperature footplate rides on steam railway locomotives, are all proof. Gently shower in fresh water after a session and it all comes up looking like brand spanking new. Why on earth are some people scared to do that!?

- I don't use mechanical shutter at all now, except to 'clean' the sensor onboard. I much prefer the EVF experience when shooting bursts with Silent Shutter. Plus no-one else near you knows if/when you are firing.

- Try not enabling Tracking with C-AF. Subject Detection should work well on cars. I'm getting higher hit rates when panning since not adding Tracking, and it's also how someone at OM TechSupport advised me from their own personal experience.

Out of curiosity, which lens did you shoot this on?

That corner at Spa looks like Rivage. I've got photos of me driving on that corner at Spa - It's my favourite track of all to drive.

Lovely shot Jeff, you've gotta love a wagtail :).

nicely posing hen pheasant at the weekend
bright eyes by jeff cohen, on Flickr

..... Superb quality, Jeff! Excellent! Is it a selfie? :ROFLMAO:

And this is a great example, IMO, of how m4/3 background bokeh due to DoF, shows a hint of habitat rather than flat wallpaper background on typical D-SLR full-frame.

Last edited:
..... Superb quality, Jeff! Excellent! Is it a selfie? :ROFLMAO:

And this is a great example, IMO, of how m4/3 background bokeh due to DoF, shows a hint of habitat rather than flat wallpaper background on typical D-SLR full-frame.
Weirdly enough I was talking to another convert yesterday , instructing him how to reduce noise levels easily .. during the conversation I thought back to my days with canon , and remembered even with the ultra sharp 400mm f5.6 if you wanted detail in the bird beak to tail the lens had to be stopped right down thereby pushing up I.s.o and noise levels , or shoot wide open and get the eye sharp with a steep degrading of feather detail at rear of bird .
So how refreshing it is these days to shoot at a 800mm EQIV lens wide open at f6.3 and get the bird sharp front to back .. you have to have gone through the mill to realise how things have improved

another recap on the weekends cettis warbler ,still chuffed with these even if there a tad soft
treading carefully by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Well done indeed

Last edited:
I spotted this on DPReview

.... BIG Thanks @Box Brownie !! Such an excellent read and highly recommended to those here who care deeply about the Olympus / OMDS camera gear they shoot with.

To quote a small part :

"OMDS: We believe that our camera systems provide unique values, by offering easy handheld shooting and computational photography that allow users to expand their photographic abilities. We hope to convey the fact that our systems are optimal for a broad range of shooting scenarios both indoors and outdoors."

^ ^ ^ I have highlit in bold the bit which I think is the heart of the OMDS ethos. It is certainly why I personally am an OMDS / Olympus fanboy!

I haven't finished reading this long interview yet so it's highly likely that I might post some more quotes from it.

@Chris_911 There's a whole section to read about C-AF and AI Tracking differences.

Last edited:
next ,surprised to find a abundance of dragonflies this far north in October . must be climate change 1mkiii+100-400+1.4 tc handheld
the last dragon by jeff cohen, on Flickr
.... Not unusual at all for that species, Jeff. Nice shot and composition.

Common Darters (Sympetrum striolatum) can be seen even in late November and anywhere in the UK which they usually inhabit.

This individual is aged, hence the red turning brown.

Last edited:
.... Not unusual at all for that species, Jeff. Not shot and composition.

Common Darters (Sympetrum striolatum) can be seen even in late November and anywhere in the UK which they usually inhabit.

This individual is aged, hence the red turning brown.
I’ll bow to your knowledge on this Robin ,but unusual for this area

Last edited:
I look at those Cornwall shots and your change of equipment and think why ? ?????

I look at those Cornwall shots and your change of equipment and think why ? ?????
.... My thoughts exactly too! These pictures are excellent would be somewhat difficult to improve.

So what is your thinking, Justin? @justa1972

Last edited:

.... My thoughts exactly too! These picturesare excellent would be somewhat difficult to improve.

I take it you've both heard the story of the field of green green grass, the farmer put up a fence to cut it in half but the sheep in the right-hand field wanted to get into the left-hand field because the grass was greener. Moral to the tale is it wasn't :D :D
:exit:

Superb photos Justin. (y)

Last edited:
.... My thoughts exactly too! These picturesare excellent would be somewhat difficult to improve.

I completely agree - like I said it was just GAS - the S5 is a lovely camera and with the 20-60 not much bigger and heavier than the Oly set up. I guess there’s just always a part of me that wonders what the photos would look like with a FF camera.

I am pretty sure I’ll be back with an Olympus camera again - the EM1 mk 3 was my favourite camera ever - which of course makes the decision to swap look even more odd !

Already thinking how much I will miss the built in ND filters……

a change of subjects and a chance to try out my little used four thirds lenses today to take some photos of the threatened wrecks on the dee estuary before the local council remove them as threatened
boneyard 1 by jeff cohen, on Flickr

boneyard 2 by jeff cohen, on Flickr

boneyard 5 by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back