Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

a change of subjects and a chance to try out my little used four thirds lenses today to take some photos of the threatened wrecks on the dee estuary before the local council remove them as threatened
boneyard 1 by jeff cohen, on Flickr

boneyard 2 by jeff cohen, on Flickr

boneyard 5 by jeff cohen, on Flickr
A real juxtaposition of new and old in that first shot. I'm really fond of old wrecks. You can't help but wonder where they've been and who was on them.

Very nicely captured. Did you get muddy feet?

A real juxtaposition of new and old in that first shot. I'm really fond of old wrecks. You can't help but wonder where they've been and who was on them.

Very nicely captured. Did you get muddy feet?
Oh yes ,wellies were order of the day

A few red deer from last weekend on Exemoor Somerset the yearly rut has started Using the OM1 and the 150-400 with the x2 converter ISO 2000 for most of these and F11 and 1/1000 sec Pretty insane shooting at 2000mm the full frame equivalent the 150-400 lens continues to amaze me

Having the reach at the weekend saved me trying to stalk too close as you are probably aware deer are great at picking up scent and will scatter quickly so to be able to move into position downwind with the reach of the lens was another bonus plus the deer are less disturbed The light was very variable at times high moving cloud hence the settings above

Camera and lens combo supported on some these shots with a monopod

52420221407_49dd3757f4_b.jpg

done roaming by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Last edited:
A few red deer from last weekend on Exemoor Somerset the yearly rut has started Using the OM1 and the 150-400 with the x2 converter ISO 2000 for most of these and F11 and 1/1000 sec Pretty insane shooting at 2000mm the full frame equivalent the 150-400 lens continues to amaze me

Having the reach at the weekend saved me trying to stalk too close as you are probably aware deer are great at picking up scent and will scatter quickly so to be able to move into position downwind with the reach of the lens was another bonus plus the deer are less disturbed The light was very variable at times high moving cloud hence the settings above

Camera and lens combo supported on some these shots with a monopod

52420221407_49dd3757f4_b.jpg

.... I especially like that first shot of the stag - A very classic pose.

Keeping your distance when stags are rutting is also a good idea for reasons of your own safety. A male animal in heat would attack you if you were perceived to be interfering. I have heard stories of photographers getting regularly injured during the rutting season in Richmond Park.

The OM-1 + 150-400mm TC PRO + MC-20 @ 2000mm is a practical combo, especially when mounted on a monopod. The lens has superior ability to deal with long distance atmospherics and haze compared with any other Olympus lens. It's one of several valuable advantages over the ED 100-400mm.

.... I especially like that first shot of the stag - A very classic pose.

Keeping your distance when stags are rutting is also a good idea for reasons of your own safety. A male animal in heat would attack you if you were perceived to be interfering. I have heard stories of photographers getting regularly injured during the rutting season in Richmond Park.

The OM-1 + 150-400mm TC PRO + MC-20 @ 2000mm is a practical combo, especially when mounted on a monopod. The lens has superior ability to deal with long distance atmospherics and haze compared with any other Olympus lens. It's one of several valuable advantages over the ED 100-400mm.
Agree Robin ref keeping ones distance I know someone who was hospitalised by a Stag on Exemoor On Saturday one came out of the woods bellowing to another Stag no more than 30 mtrs from me fortunately I was in a prone postion and fully kitted in dark camo to match the moorland think the Stag was more interested in the other Stag very noticeable during the rut lots of movement in areas where they would not been seen normally

A few from my walkabout today

lngtail by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

redrob by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

I was surprised to see so many Dragonflies/Damselflies about today.

dmslfly by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

drgnfly by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Anyone know how to avoid the blow out in the eye, it happens with every shot I take of dragonflies.
.... Dragonflies apparently have the most advanced eyesight of any creature and have allround 360 degree vision. Consequently the nature of their eyes collecting light is that a 'white spot' cannot expect to be avoided.

.... Dragonflies apparently have the most advanced eyesight of any creature and have allround 360 degree vision. Consequently the nature of their eyes collecting light is that a 'white spot' cannot expect to be avoided.
Thanks Robin, your knowledge of such matters is rapidly becoming legendary :).

Last edited:
Thanks Robin, your knowledge of such things is rapidly becoming legendary :).
.... Credit must largely be due to the fact that I admin a Facebook group of over 8,500 members some of whom are far more expert than myself and we share a lot of information and learn from each other.

It's a Private rather than Public group on Facebook to help keep out the spammers and miscreants which means people have to join as a member to see what the page has to offer.

Even close-up or macro photos can show white reflections from their eye's light receptors through the glassy surface.

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND NOT SHY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ Photographed on a Canon

magpie showing what the naked eye doesn't normally see , the real mix of colours in what we see as a black and white bird
technicolour dreamcoat by jeff cohen, on Flickr
.... I think I can say that that is one of the best photographs of a Magpie showing its plumage that I have ever seen! But because it's you, Jeff @the black fox, then I won't say it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: < Just joking of course.

.... I think I can say that that is one of the best photographs of a Magpie showing its plumage that I have ever seen! But because it's you, Jeff @the black fox, then I won't say it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: < Just joking of course.
Cheers Robin . Simply can’t fault the mkiii I still have no inclination to upgrade either

Both shots taken from the mobile Honda hide

Cheers Robin . Simply can’t fault the mkiii I still have no inclination to upgrade either
.... If it works, and it certainly does for you, don't mend it.

It's a lovely photograph Jeff, and I know you're going to love me for this, but I think that's a meadow pipit.....:exit:
to close to call jerry , I'm going on actual size on the day and if a pippit the largest one ive seen

a unusual sight a flock of shelduck in flight .distant record shot but worth taking
distant ducks by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Decided to give Topaz Photo A1 a go, as the "upgrade" price was only $99. I have to say to being mightily impressed. These were taken with the OM-1 and the Olympus 100-400 at 400mm and still only resulted in a 3.2mp image after cropping (these Eurasian Wren's as most of you know are tiny - they only weigh about 10g). I ran these thought Topaz Ai and in the same program up-res'd them to 24mp (just to see). I also think it's a testament to Olympus's resolving power (both lens and sensor), that from a tiny 3.2mp image, the detail still holds up incredibly well when upsized to 24mp

Now if Topaz labs could add to the program the ability to blur the background as if shooting with a FF camera (with a choice of focal lengths and DOF settings etc) it would be unbeatable.

Last edited:
to close to call jerry , I'm going on actual size on the day and if a pippit the largest one ive seen

Agree with Meadow Pipit; face pattern is wrong for Skylark and no sign of crest.

Just ran it through Merlin photo ID as well - top match is MP, followed by Tree and Red-throated. Highly recommend Merlin if you're unsure, Jeff.

Agree with Meadow Pipit; face pattern is wrong for Skylark and no sign of crest.

Just ran it through Merlin photo ID as well - top match is MP, followed by Tree and Red-throated. Highly recommend Merlin if you're unsure, Jeff.

If any software can identify separate meadow pipit from the two other pipits it must be damn good! For me it was the size of the eye (small) and the rather fine bill that gave it away as a MP. Sometimes a skylark can show no sign of a crest as well but it is still a slightly chunkier bird.

Cheers I’ll lookup that merlin app

I could not have got this shot without the OM-1. The Hobby flew directly towards me for quite a distance. None of my previous equipment could focus on birds coming head on and especially not at speed.
Many in that sequence were oof but the important one wasn't.
Its amazing to see the Hobby not able to look at the prey at the last nanosecond and just sort of predict the Dragonflies path and go for a grab. (It did catch the Migrant Hawker)

hobby031022.jpg

If any software can identify separate meadow pipit from the two other pipits it must be damn good! For me it was the size of the- eye (small) and the rather fine bill that gave it away as a MP. Sometimes a skylark can show no sign of a crest as well but it is still a slightly chunkier bird.

I think it's AI-powered and uses eBird photo submissions as the training set (both are from Cornell University). It will also do ID from sound. Very useful for international birding as well - there are bird packs available for many of the popular birding destinations. Best of all, it's free.

I could not have got this shot without the OM-1. The Hobby flew directly towards me for quite a distance. None of my previous equipment could focus on birds coming head on and especially not at speed.
Its amazing to see the Hobby not able to look at the prey at the last nanosecond and just sort of predict the Dragonflies path and go for a grab. (It did catch the Migrant Hawker)

View attachment 370250
That's great! I think it could be a real winner if you opened up the shadow areas a little, if it's possible...... :)

Agreed peat that’s a cracker

View attachment 370250
Simply superb BiF in action shot (y):jaffa::jaffa::jaffa:

That's great! I think it could be a real winner if you opened up the shadow areas a little, if it's possible...... :)
.... I agree and think it would make all the difference.

Lighten the mid-tones using Curves would be my first step rather than a global lightening of the shadows.

But otherwise, a fabulous shot and we are just being picky.

Decided to give Topaz Photo A1 a go, as the "upgrade" price was only $99. I have to say to being mightily impressed. These were taken with the OM-1 and the Olympus 100-400 at 400mm and still only resulted in a 3.2mp image after cropping (these Eurasian Wren's as most of you know are tiny - they only weigh about 10g). I ran these thought Topaz Ai and in the same program up-res'd them to 24mp (just to see). I also think it's a testament to Olympus's resolving power (both lens and sensor), that from a tiny 3.2mp image, the detail still holds up incredibly well when upsized to 24mp

Now if Topaz labs could add to the program the ability to blur the background as if shooting with a FF camera (with a choice of focal lengths and DOF settings etc) it would be unbeatable.

.... At the risk of being unpopular I think these are a good example of what I don't like about Topaz AI. They look just a wee bit over sharpened in my very honest opinion. I have the same criticism of some of Jeff's images which use Topaz - Too much contrast in the sharpness. It's only a little bit and they look better on second viewing but that was my honest initial impression for what it's worth.

Btw, ON1 RAW 2023 (just launched this week) offers the ability to blur backgrounds but I haven't installed it yet as I want to be sure everything else in my workflow is compatible.

It's the magic of AI throughout the software industry.

I've lifted and curved it as much as a dare before the image starts to fall apart too much for my liking.
It was low light when I took it but that's another plus point of the OM-1 and its high ISO capability. In the past I doubt I would have taken a shot of a static bird in that light let alone a bif. :)

View attachment 370250
That's brilliant !!

Back