Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Two shots taken from the same position within a couple of minutes of each other then blended. I had been waiting for about 20 minutes for geese to take off from a large flock in front of me.

Two shots taken from the same position within a couple of minutes of each other then blended. I had been waiting for about 20 minutes for geese to take off from a large flock in front of me.
Only 2 canada geese? looks like you have stamped extra geese on the shot to me as they are very much the the same 2 geese just replicated into a flock. Nice picture overall though Gordon. ;)

A couple of shots with the OM1 from a visit to the Lake District.
Fly past.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
untitled (91 of 200)-Edit-Edit.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

As some of you probably know ( :LOL: ) I'm not a big fan of composites so maybe I'm biased anyway. But even as composites go this is pretty crude. A flock of birds will very rarely have synchronised wingbeats and it would have been far better to have given one or two individuals a bit of space rather than cram them in as you have done. It's not as if the image needs them, anyway.
The photograph of the bridge, stream and autumn colours, on the other hand, is close to perfect.:)

Can people tell me what the de facto hot shoe mounted flash is for Olympus? I have the em10mk4 and would like an external flash.

I ordinarily use a Nikon SB800 on my Nikon camera so something like that.

I think the m4/3 Nissin i40 is good match for a camera that size

I like either the FM-LM3 that came with the EM1 MK II (and later deleted from the MK III and OM-1), if all you want is a little catchlight etc for fill in flash. It's not very powerful but does have the benefit of being incredibly small, with a titling / rotating head and takes its power from the camera (so no batteries).

If I want something more powerful, then i use my Olympus FL-600R (later replaced by the FL-700WR), which is sort of my Olympus equivalent of my Nikon's SB-800/900's, but smaller and with a slightly smaller guide number of 36 (ISO100) or 50m (ISO 200), compared to my SB-800 which has a guide number of 38m (ISO 100). The 600R I think is now discontinued but can still be got second-hand fir a reasonable sum. Like the SB800, the FL-600R can be used wirelessly in 4 channels with 4 groups and can be used as a commander or receiver for the wireless group. Of course, the heads tilts, rotates etc and even has a video light built in. It's a really nice flash but not quite as cheap (even second-hand) as the Nissin unit that Alf mentioned above.

Last edited:
I like either the FM-LM3 that came with the EM1 MK II (and later deleted from the MK III and OM-1), if all you want is a little catchlight etc for fill in flash. It's not very powerful but does have the benefit of being incredibly small, with a titling / rotating head and takes its power from the camera (so no batteries).

If I want something more powerful, then i use my Olympus FL-600R (later replaced by the FL-700WR), which is sort of my Olympus equivalent of my Nikon's SB-800/900's, but smaller and with a slightly smaller guide number of 36 (ISO100) or 50m (ISO 200), compared to my SB-800 which has a guide number of 38m (ISO 100). The 600R I think is now discontinued but can still be got second-hand fir a reasonable sum. Like the SB800, the FL-600R can be used wirelessly in 4 channels with 4 groups and can be used as a commander or receiver for the wireless group. Of course, the heads tilts, rotates etc and even has a video light built in. It's a really nice flash but not quite as cheap (even second-hand) as the Nissin unit that Alf mentioned above.
I've got a FL-600R, put batteries in to see if it worked and took them out again. Thought I should have a flash, not really sure why though. Bought a couple of books a while back to learn more, but its just not my thing.
Panasonic sell the same model, just rebadged as FL-360E, often seems to be cheaper than the Olympus equivalent.

.... That looks absolutely ideal forr my typical wildlife close-up work (I don't think of it as 'Macro').

- No batteries needed - Will draw power from my OM-1 + HLD-10 and portable battery pack if needed. The battery pack fits in a pocket and connects via the Olympus USB-C cable. I have used this method quite a few times on a long day's shoot. I only have 2 BLX-1 batteries.

- Weatherproof - Important for what/where I shoot.

- Compact enough to easily fit in a pocket.

- Flash output controllable via my OM-1 body.

- Will even output enough flash when my 150-400mm TC PRO is mounted and shooting at Minimum Focus Distance. Same with 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO + MC-20.

- £69 not expensive for all that it offers.

Robin Wong's Review :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj4oDtUlpsI

So, thank you Andrew!

Last edited:
.... That looks absolutely ideal forr my typical wildlife close-up work (I don't think of it as 'Macro').

- No batteries needed - Will draw power from my OM-1 + HLD-10 and portable battery pack if needed. The battery pack fits in a pocket and connects via the Olympus USB-C cable. I have used this method quite a few times on a long day's shoot. I only have 2 BLX-1 batteries.

- Weatherproof - Important for what/where I shoot.

- Compact enough to easily fit in a pocket.

- Flash output controllable via my OM-1 body.

- Will even output enough flash when my 150-400mm TC PRO is mounted and shooting at Minimum Focus Distance. Same with 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO + MC-20.

- £69 not expensive for all that it offers.

Robin Wong's Review :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj4oDtUlpsI

So, thank you Andrew!

Just be careful Robin, as due to its diminutive size, longer lenses will tend to block it as the flash head is sat relatively close to the lens axis, so I would imagine that gorgeous white lens of yours will cast quite a shadow ?

Just be careful Robin, as due to its diminutive size, longer lenses will tend to block it as the flash head is sat relatively close to the lens axis, so I would imagine that gorgeous white lens of yours will cast quite a shadow ?
.... I think you are probably right and it's a good point. However, I would get one to work primarily with my 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO + MC-20 and possibly shorter wide-angle lenses. IF I get one I shall certainly report if a shadow is cast from the gorgeous big white one or not.

.... I think you are probably right and it's a good point. However, I would get one to work primarily with my 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO + MC-20 and possibly shorter wide-angle lenses. IF I get one I shall certainly report if a shadow is cast from the gorgeous big white one or not.
The Godox TT350O is said to be a fine flash and fully functional TTL if needed for a few quid more. I did have it's bigger brother for a while and that preformed faultlessly. I do get the little Olly flash is so handy being so small and not needing batteries though. That is why I have one which came with the OM-1.

The Godox TT350O is said to be a fine flash and fully functional TTL if needed for a few quid more. I did have it's bigger brother for a while and that preformed faultlessly. I do get the little Olly flash is so handy being so small and not needing batteries though. That is why I have one which came with the OM-1.
.... Being compact and not needing extra batteries such as AA is exactly why I am interested in it even if there are good cheaper alternatives available. Also, weatherproofing is extremely important to me as I spend long hours shooting outdoors in all conditions.

The OM-1 body should control things like TTL etc.

Out of curiosity where did you buy your OM-1 which included the FL-LM3? Not the UK?

.... Being compact and not needing extra batteries such as AA is exactly why I am interested in it even if there are good cheaper alternatives available. Also, weatherproofing is extremely important to me as I spend long hours shooting outdoors in all conditions.

Out of curiosity where did you buy your OM-1 which included the FL-LM3? Not the UK?
I got mind from e-infinity and it came with the flash plus it was cheaper than the UK.

Last edited:

I bought mine a few weeks ago off a seller on here

Last edited:
I managed to get two FL-LM3s, one with the Pen-F and one with the 1 mark II

They are great for fill-in, catchlight, bounce in smaller areas. And as has been said, no batteries to worry about.

I managed to get two FL-LM3s, one with the Pen-F and one with the 1 mark II

They are great for fill-in, catchlight, bounce in smaller areas. And as has been said, no batteries to worry about.
.... If you still have two, are you interested in selling one of them please?

If so, it is important that we take our transaction into the TP Classifieds so we comply with the forum rules. [ @Cobra ]

EDIT :
I have now posted in the Wanted section of TP.

Last edited:
I have thought about selling one, but they are so small I am often mislaying at least one of them!

I have thought about selling one, but they are so small I am often mislaying at least one of them!
.... Aaah, but if you only had one you might not mislay it :LOL:

But thanks for your reply and I'll continue looking (unless you change your mind and want to sell one).

EDIT :
@Pound Coin, I have now bought one from another TP member who responded to my Wanted post.

Last edited:
I managed to get two FL-LM3s ... They are great for fill-in, catchlight, bounce in smaller areas. And as has been said, no batteries to worry about.
.... I think they are probably similar in output to a pop-up flash built-in some camera bodies but the FL-LM3 has the big advantage of being swivel and tilt.

A very handy and easy to use optional flash. If someone made a small diffuser it would be even better.

I really must use my STF-8 Twin Flash more but its physical nature means planning to go out specifically to find insects etc to shoot with it. Still, that's not a good excuse for not using it enough!

Last edited:
Although I haven’t as yet used it Robin , Last year I bought a film era flash bracket to take my godox flash gun set to slave mode which will now be triggered by the flm3 on camera . Am yet to try it ,not in fact doing much at the moment but it’s another got it when I need it jobby

A very handy and easy to use optional flash. If someone made a small diffuser it would be even better.

I have been known to use a piece of paper for that...

Although I haven’t as yet used it Robin , Last year I bought a film era flash bracket to take my godox flash gun set to slave mode which will now be triggered by the flm3 on camera . Am yet to try it ,not in fact doing much at the moment but it’s another got it when I need it jobby
.... That would be a good use of one although personally for me it would contradict the point of the very compact FL-LM3. I may as well use my STF-8 Twin Flash which I have mini ballheads on.

My typical FL-LM3 use will be having it in my pocket when on wildlife walkabout and, like when we both encountered those oversexed beetles on Portland together, being able to quickly mount it for a bit of extra light when needed to help the shot.

"Got it when I need it " isn't this the mantra of the seriously addicted gear slut!? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There are various folks (via Google) that have "created" diffusers for that little flash but this link has piqued my interest.....

Couple of good ideas in that article ,the off camera flash lead and the use of butter tubs as diffusers brilliant

Back