Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

A nuthatch from the other day. ISO 6400 on the OM-1

Topaz AI, this time with no additional sharpening.

I have recently been given an EM5 mkI body. I bought a second hand Oly 12-50 lens for it and I am concerned that there may be a problem with the lens. As the camera is new to me and I don't have any other lenses to compare it too I am not sure whether the behaviour I am seeing is normal or not. I have tried reading the manual but haven't found a clear answer in there.

The issue is that when I half press the shutter button to focus there is a green square that appears in the evf or rear screen and the lens does move internally to focus but the green square only appears very briefly and then disappears again even though I am holding the shutter button half pressed. The behaviour I am expecting is for the green square to remain lit showing the focus point while the shutter button is half pressed? There is a small green circle at the edge of the evf/screen that from reading the manual I gather is a 'focus confirmation lock'. This lights up and remains lit but the square showing the focus point just flashes very briefly and then turns off.

If there is a problem with the lens I have bought I need to try and return it. Is the behaviour I am seeing normal or should the AF target square remain lit? Is there a setting somewhere that I haven't found yet that could alter this behaviour?

thanks

It’s more than likely a setting in your cog menu , I’m not familiar with 5 series bodies so hang on someone will see it soon .. you can also switch on electric zoom on that lens from the camera menu .. unfortunately olympus menus often need a degree in gobbledygook but once learnt it’s easy

I'm with @Mike.P really isn't my cup of tea.
o.k just bored nothing about ,just been out for a drive round best shots were of a crow .. high tides tomorrow so might improve things

Agreed that’s a cracker alby

New OM5 announced - have to say this is really disappointing, I hoped it would use the new OM1 sensor but it’s the same as the 5 mk iii.

Wonder if it also comes with the EM5 MK III's party piece - a self-detaching bottom plate (i..e breaking off) :D

If you don't destroy this edit immediately I'm going to delete my like on the original. :oops: :$
I'm with @Mike.P really isn't my cup of tea.
70s wedding style is defo of the time and shouldn’t ever be shown in the 21 century.:D:D
.... C'mon guys! Don't be so conservative and narrow minded.

Personally I much prefer the original posted without the white vignette but it's always worth exploring alternatives and it really doesn't matter when a style was popular. Each to their own.

:)

Wonder if it also comes with the EM5 MK III's party piece - a self-detaching bottom plate (i..e breaking off) :D
Just a few minor upgrades, so its an E-M5 iiis, poor effort and more to the point overpriced

Last edited:
Waste of ti

Just a few minor upgrades, so its an E-M5 iiis, poor effort and more to the point overpriced
The only things relevant to me from my new E-M5iii would be the Live ND and the hand-held high res. Seeing as it’s almost 3 times the price I just paid, I’m not losing any sleep over it.

Last edited:

New OM5 announced - have to say this is really disappointing, I hoped it would use the new OM1 sensor but it’s the same as the 5 mk iii.
I don't think that is going to be a big seller. Get the OM System branding on but don't charge an arm and a leg to do it. Still on a positive it might even bring down the prices of the Olympus e-m5 mkIII ;)

.... C'mon guys! Don't be so conservative and narrow minded.

Personally I much prefer the original posted without the white vignette but it's always worth exploring alternatives and it really doesn't matter when a style was popular. Each to their own.

:)

Yeah because Jeff is so slow coming forward when he doesn't agree with something :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, this is a photography forum and if people post pictures here they should expect feedback ( there are other places here to post if you don't want it). When I post mine I am happy to accept comments either way and if I don't agree then I will say so and explain why.

Last edited:
Yeah because Jeff is so slow coming forward when he doesn't agree with something :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, this is a photography forum and if people post pictures here they should expect feedback ( there are other places here to post if you don't want it). When I post mine I am happy to accept comments either way and if I don't agree then I will say so and explain why.
More like I don’t spend my whole day on here lurking , I actually go out and take photos most days .. I know it’s weird and my computer bleeds real tears at times but I can’t help myself , must go now tides coming in LOL

.... I wasn't questioning whether feedback should be offered or not but rather the somewhat conventional attitudes of some photographers, mostly on TP unfortunately.

Besides, this thread is in the Talk Equipment section - Is that a Critique section?

Isn't Talk Equipment more about how its title describes? - Discussions about camera gear or related software etc.

Last edited:
.... I know you are super conscious about prices but not everyone agrees with you :

It's not a camera body I want anyway but technology never stands still even if it sometimes only progresses in small steps.

Some photographers might be happier if they learn to manage their expectations.

.... I know you are super conscious about prices but not everyone agrees with you :

It's not a camera body I want anyway but technology never stands still even if it sometimes only progresses in small steps.

I still think it is overpriced for a near same product unfortunately, you are getting very little extra for nearly double the cost. Sounds like a energy company has taken over the pricing dept. ;) :D Not one im looking at either, even if it was half the price.

Last edited:
I still think it is overpriced for a near same product unfortunately, you are getting very little extra for nearly double the cost. Sounds like a energy company has taken over the pricing dept. ;) :D Not one im looking at either, even if it was half the price.
I agree that on the face of it, it does seem over-priced however a) all technology is shooting up in price due to many factors - chip availability, cost of power, etc ., b) the price will stabilise in time, and c) see what the price is when it hits the “grey” market.

I agree that on the face of it, it does seem over-priced however a) all technology is shooting up in price due to many factors - chip availability, cost of power, etc ., b) the price will stabilise in time, and c) see what the price is when it hits the “grey” market.
It will start at a high price due to being just introduced and the grey market will bring the cost down too. The e-m5 mk3 at hdew is £649 (£639 in black)atm so you could buy 2 almost for the same cost of the om-5. Don't know why I am getting involved with this because im not interested in the 5 series om system or olympus camera. lol

Last edited:

Of course there is always an alternative view. ;)

Last edited:
Back