Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

One part of the grip is always on my OM-D - I can't recommend it highly enough. Interesting the way some people are using both parts of the grip with no battery in the camera, though.

The biggest problem is the way that my right thumb still twitches after releasing the shutter - never did on my e-620 :nuts:

One part of the grip is always on my OM-D - I can't recommend it highly enough. Interesting the way some people are using both parts of the grip with no battery in the camera, though.

The biggest problem is the way that my right thumb still twitches after releasing the shutter - never did on my e-620 :nuts:

I use both batteries but select the camera to use the one in the grip first. I then replace that one when it runs out and the one in the camera is the backup which I run down less often or when both my spare batteries run out. Not that I have ever ran out of battery power yet on one days shooting. :D

Hmmmm that video is good off to look for some batteries

Ulfric M Douglas said:
While you're on the subject : do you have any other issues which cause you to type like this : it seems very unusual and certainly quite different from typical entries on deaf forums.

In what ways you referring to please. May I ask do you know much about the deaf culture?

Last edited:
Right getting fed up. 2 of you now moan about my English.

Ulfric M Douglas said:
I know NOTHING about deaf culture.

I'll get me coat...

Why you edited your post hmmmm

Lindsay D said:
I've been very BAD. I've just ordered the PannyLeica 25mm f1.4. That's it for lenses for a while, that and the 40-150 zoom will do me just fine. Well chuffed with my OMD!

Well done, I bet you be well please with it :) may I ask where did you get it from?

Amazon will be doing the same cash back it's an eligible retailer. Same price anyway.

Last edited:
I looked at Amazon just now, there was no mention of the Cashback so I went back to WEX.

EDIT: I'm going blind as well as dyslexic - you are indeed perfectly correct! Apologies for that. They need to make the writing bigger for people like me!
In hindsight I'm wishing I'd noticed that and gone through Amazon, their customer service appears to be better than normal retailers.

Last edited:
Lindsay D said:
I looked at Amazon just now, there was no mention of the Cashback so I went back to WEX.

EDIT: I'm going blind as well as dyslexic - you are indeed perfectly correct! Apologies for that. They need to make the writing bigger for people like me!

They same price so not missing much really WEX are great.

Great buy Lindsay, I really like the 25 f1.4 tis a great lens and it looks the part too on the om-d.

While I am at the shop tomorrow to look at the battery grip, I am going to have a demo of the 25mm 1.4 while I am there :)

Never know I may come home with the Lens rather than the Grip :LOL:

While I am at the shop tomorrow to look at the battery grip, I am going to have a demo of the 25mm 1.4 while I am there :)

Never know I may come home with the Lens rather than the Grip :LOL:

Never know you might come home with the lens AND the grip.:LOL:

Never know you might come home with the lens AND the grip.:LOL:

Dont say that :bang::bang:

But you never know :shrug:

But I be in trouble if I did by the who we must obey.

Good choice Lindsay I love my 25mm not had it long its a lot heavier and bigger than the 20mm which I had before but gives lovely creamy bokeh. The manual focus ring glides like a dream as well. I ordered mine through wex never had a problem with them in fact you've reminded me I've not claimed the cashback on the lens yet!!!

Andy

Good choice Lindsay I love my 25mm not had it long its a lot heavier and bigger than the 20mm which I had before but gives lovely creamy bokeh. The manual focus ring glides like a dream as well.

Yes, I looked at the 20mm Andy, but decided the jump from 'like' to 'love' would be well worth the extra cash. I'm quite excited about it. I just need a day off to get out and test everything!

Good thing about the Panny lenses over the Ollys is they come complete with a case and hood which is what I hate about Olympus, take a lesson off Panasonic Olympus and supply the lens kits complete.

Anybody using Lightroom 4.x for RAW handling of OMD files? The images look really poor to me in Lightroom, yet in that awful Olympus RAW viewer software and DxO they look lovely. The default RAW settings look fine for my Panasonic G5 and Olympus EP-3 images in Lightroom. Just interested to know if anybody else is using Lightroom?

I dumped my 20mm as I never used it having the 25mm, as Alby say's it's a beautiful lens

Just had a look on your flickr profile Julian, if that is your up todate gear list you have really slimmed down the hardware.

Just had a look on your flickr profile Julian, if that is your up todate gear list you have really slimmed down the hardware.

Yep, dumped - G1, GF3, G3, 14mm, 20mm & 14-42mm (6 m43 bodies in total was a bit silly)

Now have:
Bodies:
Panasonic G5
Olympus EP-3
Olympus OM-D EM-5

Lenses:
Samyang 7.5mm
Panasonic 7-14mm
Panasonic Leica 25mm
Olympus 45mm
Panasonic 100-300mm

And the lovely Sony RX100 for the pocket :)

Yep, dumped - G1, GF3, G3, 14mm, 20mm & 14-42mm (6 m43 bodies in total was a bit silly)

Now have:
Bodies:
Panasonic G5
Olympus EP-3
Olympus OM-D EM-5

Lenses:
Samyang 7.5mm
Panasonic 7-14mm
Panasonic Leica 25mm
Olympus 45mm
Panasonic 100-300mm

And the lovely Sony RX100 for the pocket :)

Well I have 5 and the Fuji x100 now lol

I'm guessing you have: G10, G2, GF3, G3 & OM-D, am I right ?
Yes but the G10 is Infra-red so a little different I suppose.
I like using the gf3 and should use it more than I do as I think it produces great quality results. will be leaving the 14mm on it most of the time and using it alongside the x100 when going ultra light. :D

ShrubMonkey said:
Anybody using Lightroom 4.x for RAW handling of OMD files? The images look really poor to me in Lightroom, yet in that awful Olympus RAW viewer software and DxO they look lovely. The default RAW settings look fine for my Panasonic G5 and Olympus EP-3 images in Lightroom. Just interested to know if anybody else is using Lightroom?

In what ways they look bad?

I saw that yesterday at Park Cameras, it's a beauty. I would have got if I didn't have an XE1 with a more or less identical zoom on it. I've decided on a fast prime and long zoom for my OMD. But I've heard amazing things about the 12-35, I don't think you can go wrong with it. Pricey though.

Thanks,been keeping an eye on it,hopfully the price will drop a bit more :)

I'm bothered by the base ISO of some cameras creeping up and from reading the specs it looks like the Oly's base is 200. I like to shoot at wide apertures even in good light and on a sunny day at ISO 100 and limited by the max shutter speed of 1/4000 sec I sometimes have to use ND's on my G1 or shoot at f2.8 and smaller. I assume with the OM-D I'd be using ND's a lot more or have to limit myself to f5.6 in good light?

I've been following the OM-D with interest and the image quality, DR and in body IS are very attractive but to be honest I doubt I'll buy one as I want a built in flash and carrying an add on one would almost certainly rule it out for me on its own but faffing on with ND's more (I find using tem a pain) or being limited to f5.6 would be the final nail in the coffin.

How do you lot manage in good light?

Back