Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I understand Panasonic do in camera CA correction, so some Panny lenses show purple flare problems on Olympus cameras but not on yer Panasonic.

Another reason to buy the new EM5 mk. 2. Which supposedly will have it. And that's only a few weeks away.

Last edited:
anyone got an opinion on 17mm or 20mm lenses ? At the moment, I've just got the kit lens but don't use it much as its not as sharp as the quicker lenses. Ideally, I'd like to go for either a P12-35 or O12-40 but at £500 or so I can't justify it so have started looking at a O17 or P20...

The P20 appears to be pretty good value ?
Why not get the sigma 19mm f2.8? Its a very good lens for around £120.

As a long term sufferer of GAS i have had many different systems. As far as m4/3 goes i have had EP-1, GF-1 and GF-3 was the last one i tried.
Having picked up a EM5 in he christmas deals i can honestly say i have been blown away with the image quality. I took out the O25mm yesterday and the sharpness this lens gives with the EM5 is incredible.

I am almost one month in and have had no urges to even look at another camera!

I really do believe this could be the one to settle down with and establish a long and meaningfull relationship!

That's what I thought. But it is clearly a mk1, first attempt camera with numerous flaws, such as the ergonomics. So I'm hoping the mk2 is the one to settle down with. Sure the mk3 will have further enhancements, but it will be diminishing returns, as Olympus have already learnt from the EM1, EP5 and EM10.

Well, I'm out atm with my e-m10 and one of my old manual lenses... whilst probably not anywhere near the optical quality of my af lenses, it's quite fun. Will probably feel a whole lot different when I get home and look at the pics but so far I'm enjoying it a little more than I have been.

Good call with the Siggy, @Photopaque (y)

anyone got an opinion on 17mm or 20mm lenses ? At the moment, I've just got the kit lens but don't use it much as its not as sharp as the quicker lenses. Ideally, I'd like to go for either a P12-35 or O12-40 but at £500 or so I can't justify it so have started looking at a O17 or P20...

The P20 appears to be pretty good value ?
I can't comment on the panny 20mm but I like my Oly 17mm

@ F1.8

Light A Candle For Me
by paulsilkphotography, on Flickr

@ F1.8

Scarlett

@ F3.5

Worcester Cathedral

The p20 appears to be a bit noisy from what I've seen in reviews and "slow" when it comes to low light focusing

Will have a look at the sigma later after I've taken more of the house apart...

I've got a p20 and had it for years. It was a very early m43 lens and I'm not sure they considered it for video for example when they introduced it. It makes a little bit of noise when focusing, but nothing really noticeable, olympus updated their camera body firmware to get rid of the issues of compatibility so now there are no issues. The focus speed is not that of the 45 for example but it's not shoddy. Clearly if you are trying to shoot hyper active toddlers you might struggle but otherwise it's a great little lens. The IQ is amazing, just check flickr for the thousands of shots with it.

I've got a 12-40 and it is great except it is massive and weighs a ton (in m43 terms)

The pany is a no brainer, there is always one floating about in the classified section I imagine and you'd get back what you paid for it if you didn't like it. It is small and compact, great dof and corner to corner sharpness.

Last edited:
I've got a p20 and had it for years. It was a very early m43 lens and I'm not sure they considered it for video for example when they introduced it. It makes a little bit of noise when focusing, but nothing really noticeable, olympus updated their camera body firmware to get rid of the issues of compatibility so now there are no issues. The focus speed is not that of the 45 for example but it's not shoddy. Clearly if you are trying to shoot hyper active toddlers you might struggle but otherwise it's a great little lens. The IQ is amazing, just check flickr for the thousands of shots with it.

I've got a 12-40 and it is great except it is massive and weighs a ton (in m43 terms)

The pany is a no brainer, there is always one floating about in the classified section I imagine and you'd get back what you paid for it if you didn't like it. It is small and compact, great dof and corner to corner sharpness.

Which lenses do you recommend for trying to shoot hyper active toddlers? The P20 on a Lumix G3 I have is clearly not up-to the task in most situations. I won't get much for the G3 hence have kept it but tempted with an Olympus set-up. Will see what the EM5 MK2 has to offer.

A selection from me today with an old manual lens, REALLY enjoyed myself! :D And i managed to pick 46 out to PP! Wowzers!!! :D

Portraits...

Being Nosy
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Lily

Wrapped Up!

Where she belongs?

Looking On

My Family

Really pleased with this one, failed miserably last week with AF... 30 year old lens, MF... Nailed it!

Lily

Lily

Nice collection - funny that I never got to grips with manual, but you've done well - especially the swinging shot :clap:

Which lenses do you recommend for trying to shoot hyper active toddlers? The P20 on a Lumix G3 I have is clearly not up-to the task in most situations. I won't get much for the G3 hence have kept it but tempted with an Olympus set-up. Will see what the EM5 MK2 has to offer.

When I had a G1 then 6 I was able to get faster focus with the P14mm and the O45. Although in certain situations I just didn't bother trying (inside with very high ISO for example). I also learnt to pick my moments very carefully and set opportunities up, as they have got older they are getting slightly slower! IQ and build is much better on the olympus although ergonomics and features are not.

I had something happen this weekend with my EM1 whilst messing around in the garden with some ice.

I had my setting setup for manual focus, with focus assigned to Ael/Afl button, for some reason it kept switching to C-AF, does anyone know why this would happen?

I have the 60mm on with a Meike extension tube

Yep, some people had banding with the 20mm and E-M5 at iso 3200 or above. Never saw it myself, but I swapped my 20mm for the 17mm/1.8, the 20mm couldn't focus on people walking about in evening/low light. Sort of made it useless as a night-time events/party lens I wanted it for, fine ofr daytime landscape though. The 17mm has no such trouble, got some lovely shots at a friends wedding reception after dark with it.

so i was thinking that instead of going for a prime at a FL that might turn out not to be for me, maybe the 12-35 panny is a better bet ...

just gotta find one for sale at a reasonable price now..

Yep, some people had banding with the 20mm and E-M5 at iso 3200 or above. Never saw it myself, but I swapped my 20mm for the 17mm/1.8, the 20mm couldn't focus on people walking about in evening/low light. Sort of made it useless as a night-time events/party lens I wanted it for, fine ofr daytime landscape though. The 17mm has no such trouble, got some lovely shots at a friends wedding reception after dark with it.

Thanks for sharing your 20mm and 17mm experiences. I find the 20mm is a real let down in the evenings for the same events/party/ wedding scenarios. The 20mm can make a real mess of things when trying to focus and keep things sharp. Do you mind posting some shots you got with the 17mm? Do you have any other praises for it over the 20mm? I wanted to pair it with the Lumix G3 and use in the evenings when out to get wider reach and faster focus for group shots.

Last edited:
size i think..the Panny is 305g, the Oly is 382g so the 12-35 should be better balanced and from what i've read, there's nothing between the IQ

Back