Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I just haven't gelled with it. Maybe I should give it a bit more time but I miss my old setup. Can't fault the IQ or the high iso performance though, it is amazeballs!!

That's a shame, I'm getting on quite well with mine - it has its idiosyncrasies but I'm getting used to them and the more I use it the better it gets :)

I've booked the trip to Marrakech and will deffo only be taking the EM10.

That's a shame, I'm getting on quite well with mine - it has its idiosyncrasies but I'm getting used to them and the more I use it the better it gets :)

I've booked the trip to Marrakech and will deffo only be taking the EM10.
You booked the olympus trip to Marrakech?

Looks good. Also like the 11 day india trip. They have some great tutorial days and trips run by olympus.

Please don't. :D

I've got to sell off all my Nikon kit first and see (now probably unlikely) if i have any spare money.

If I could buy the 40-150mm without the otherhalf finding out I would be on it straight away :-(

Well it comes with the little bag so you could tell her that you've bought her a nice bag... maybe? :D

LOL :)

I'll be putting all my stuff on ebay this week as interest on the forum has dried up. However, I'm guessing by the time it is all sold the lens will be as well.

An assylum...

Probably a d7100 Lee.
How long have you had the em10?
What did you have before and how long did you have that camera for? Just curious as i think you may actually have Gas worse than i had......lol

I've had it less than a month. :LOL:

Had a d7000 beforehand with a 17-55 f2.8, 35mm f1.8 and an 85mm f1.8. Had it nearly a year with various lenses dependent upon what genre of photography I was doing at that time.

The way to find the shutter count is ridiculous on these Oly's. What a palarva!

Oh then its not to bad as you had a camera for a year. I did not manage to keep the same for more than 3 months...hehe.

David, I think you are a Nikon Guy! Simple As. You always seem to refer back to Nikon and your old set up and I can understand why as I still own nikon gear and I'm loath to sell it, because.........:nikon:....( it takes great photy's and it's CHUNKY:D. If I sold it I'd loose a s*** load of money on it . But I have had to move on due to the weight issues (found it really hard last year in greece carrying a bag with all my gear in.(so did the missus:)) I've tried other kit even bought a fuji x10 to compliment my nikon it takes great pic's but could not get away with the physical size. Then I was introduced to the olly line up and that I'm afraid was it. Love at 1st sight:eek:I've tried ( held and caressed the 10 and the 1 believe me they are totally different.., maybe not in the tech/spec dept but just the feel which I do believe makes a difference>
Understand what you mean about the olly menus. they are a bit strange to the likes of Nikon.
I'm sure that you will find your way in the end. Do you still own your nikon gear or have you sold it on?

I sold my Nikon stuff in December and went to an e-m10 due to size. I now have a 45 1.8, 14-42, 60 macro, 40-150R and 75-300. The cost to change system for me will be £230 ( inc a flash which I haven't got yet ) which is perfectly acceptable to me. I will sort out some better glass for the wide end when my finances calm down a bit.

I love the size of it compared to the d7000 - my only concern is still Motorsport but I'll see how that is in the spring. That said, I do understand that they aren't for everyone - the menus aren't as easy to access for example which isn't an issue for me but I guess is a deal breaker for some.

I hope that David's passion returns

Edit...err...passion for photography :eek:

I've held onto my Nikon gear as it is as good as new (to me anyway) I have a D200 which from new was about £1250 same with the D300s about £1200. I would not get a great deal for them even in the super condition they are in so I'd rather keep them as to let them go for nothing. The way that I see it is that if I still have them then I can at least have the option of a change every now and then as opposed to being stuck with one set up. Feels weird though........picking up the D300s after using the Olly.feels like I'm picking up a house brick:)

Last edited:
The E-M1 will require less menu usage in fact I hardly use them.

I sold my Nikon stuff in December and went to an e-m10 due to size. I now have a 45 1.8, 14-42, 60 macro, 40-150R and 75-300. The cost to change system for me will be £230 ( inc a flash which I haven't got yet ) which is perfectly acceptable to me. I will sort out some better glass for the wide end when my finances calm down a bit.

I love the size of it compared to the d7000 - my only concern is still Motorsport but I'll see how that is in the spring. That said, I do understand that they aren't for everyone - the menus aren't as easy to access for example which isn't an issue for me but I guess is a deal breaker for some.

I hope that David's passion returns

Edit...err...passion for photography :eek:
Have you caressed :naughty: the EM-1 though........... My mate has the 1 and his missus has the 10. I found that even with the grip on the ten there was something not quite there. Maybe I was comparing it to my nikon ,But I just love the feel of the EM-1
So my Olly kit at the moment comprises of The EM-1, the 45mm f1.8 and the 40-150mm R which I have just bought, the 12-40mm pro which was part of the EM-1 kit deal( what a cracking lens ) My wants now are the 60mm macro (Super photos of your watch by the way! Watch could do with a clean though;) then when I win the lottery the 40-150mm f2.8 and 1.5 TC drool !!!!

No, I sold up to get the em10. I have a d7100 coming next week and if my em10 doesn't sell then I guess I will also have both setups. :LOL:

I do believe that the em1 would probably be the answer, BUT if it isn't then I've forked out another shed load of cash for no reason. At least I know I get on with the Nikon setup.

My ideal setup would be to have a DSLR with a couple of fast zooms and keep the em10 with probably the PL15/O17 and perhaps the 45. If all my stuff sells then I will pick up a 70-200 f2.8 I think then either pick up a 50 1.4 or the awesome but mahoosive 17-55 f2.8.

With all that new outlay of cash you could have gone on the Olympus trip to Marrakesh......hehe

For all you M43er's out there, when considering a travel kit (lens wise), for the area above 80mm (on my 12-40 F2.8 Olympus), say up to 300 or 400mm, what's the best bang for buck zoom lens.

I know the Panasonic 35-100 F2.8 or the new Olympus 40-150 F2.8 reign supreme, but as this will be an occasional travel lens (where I feel the gap between the 12-40 and my Panasonic 100-300 is a little too large), what do people think. It would seem the choices are:

Panasonic 45-175mm f4.0-5.6 Lumix G X Vario

Panasonic 45-150mm f4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS

Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega O.I.S

Panasonic 35-100mm f4-5.6 Lumix G Vario ASPH OIS

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6

I've discounted the Olympus 75-300 units as I think they are a bit near in FL to my Panasonic 100-300.

Anyone have any experience of the above and can give some advice. Want decent quality (although they won't necessarily be spectacular), fairly light and compact and going as said from about the 40mm ish range to 150-200mm

The only one of those I have (apart from the Pan 100-300) is the Oly 40-150 and although I don't use it often because if I'm going long I take the 100-300 but at £99 is a very nice lens indeed (link) and its much smaller and lighter, so for a travel lens I think its a winner.

The 40-150R is a great pocketable lens, weighs nothing and is super sharp with nice rendering of the OOF areas. There's also a bargain one in the classifieds for £75... :whistle:
I forgot about that - yes there is :D

I notice that Olympus have (or had) two versions of this lens (the 40-150 that is) . What's the difference between the "R" and non "R" models ? (The "R" seems cheaper from camera price buster).

Yes. Here it is. It solves all my Mk 1 dislikes. I'm glad I didn't rush out and buy that silly E-M10 now.
oly_e-m5ii_silver_f001.jpg

You can see from the 1-2 switch, it has the 2x2 dials from the E-M1 and EP-5. That is the worst bit about the E-M5. (for me)
The height is improved by removal of the accessory port above the viewfinder. Like the E-M10. But no pop-up flash is visible.
I presume Wifi and Focus peaking have been added over the Mk 1.
Interesting new button on the lower front. I wonder what that does.
40 mega pixel is nice. How did we ever mange with anything less? This has the potential to make it the ultimate medium format camera. The fidgety sensor is not designed for action. But for studio and landscapes it could make fools of big chunky camera owners. (except Hasselblad H5D-200c owners)

Last edited:
Yes. Here it is. It solves all my Mk 1 dislikes. I'm glad I didn't rush out and buy that silly E-M10 now.
oly_e-m5ii_silver_f001.jpg

You can see from the 1-2 switch, it has the 2x2 dials from the E-M1 and EP-5. That is the worst bit about the E-M5. (for me)
The height is improved by removal of the accessory port above the viewfinder. Like the E-M10. But no pop-up flash is visible.
I presume Wifi and Focus peaking have been added over the Mk 1.
Interesting new button on the lower front. I wonder what that does.
40 mega pixel is nice. How did we ever mange with anything less?
I see the rear screen bezel is cracked already. And the self ejecting eyecup can be replaced with a firmware upgrade.

As always this comes at a price. If I make progress with the EM5 mk1 no doubt I might in the future face the option of going Mk2 or EM1. 40 mp wow iirc that was not on the cards.

Looks nice but it does not excite me at all - sure the sensor shift thing could be nice under specific circumstances, and the improved 5 axis, yeah perhaps but lets see if its the small sort of improvement as a 1p raise.

No not impressed really - just as well really as I don't want a third body.

Edit: The actuated screen is a bonus though.

Last edited:
Wonder if the sensor shift function to produce the 40mp images is something that will be added to the flagship EM1 via firmware, or if it needs new hardware and will be part of a forthcoming EM1 MK II ?

I expect they'll got for the II - its headliine ability to produce such large files will sell a new body and the Mk1 is pretty long in the tooth.

Wonder if the sensor shift function to produce the 40mp images is something that will be added to the flagship EM1 via firmware, or if it needs new hardware and will be part of a forthcoming EM1 MK II ?

Based on the 40 mp being sensor shift technology I doubt a firmware upgrade will provide that.

Back