Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

They could have put another, perhaps industry standard socket next to the other sockets and let the camera be smaller. And be better for everyone. This MkII is the best of both worlds camera for me. I don't need an EM 1 any more.

Last edited:
Could it not be a variation of the 5 axis stabilisation technology ?

I hope so but doubt it

Olympus have started to offer real upgrades via firmware so heres hoping.

Only to their flagship model, as soon as the mk ii is close they'll stop and move to that, otherwise it'll just be bug fixes and art filters

- the menus aren't as easy to access for example which isn't an issue for me but I guess is a deal breaker for some.

I have to ask just in case...you have changed the menu display to the SCP menu (Super Control Panel) rather the crazy confusing one that is set as standard when you get the camera?

Certainly have sir :)

Well my EM-1 arrived yesterday and very nice it is too, now to start trawling tinternet for hints and tips on setting it up.

Me too actually, I'll have to dig up what I've found.

E-M1 Manual with v2 firmware updates (link)
Olympus Q&A for E-M1 (link)
PhotoIsLife Users guide (link)
How to setup, configure and cutsomise your camera (link)
Robin Wong's Colour creator guide (part of the review) (link)

...and a general note I found - "turn off - keep warm colours"

Hope that help and feel free to post up any you find.

Edit: I've started to compile an online list (link), but please if you know a better online resource for this sort of stuff tell me as I don;t like this one much.

Last edited:
No probs - great name by the way, it was my mum's old cats name :D

Was an old TVR didn't have a cat on it, one wedged underneath once, made a helluva noise

anyone got an opinion on 17mm or 20mm lenses ? At the moment, I've just got the kit lens but don't use it much as its not as sharp as the quicker lenses. Ideally, I'd like to go for either a P12-35 or O12-40 but at £500 or so I can't justify it so have started looking at a O17 or P20...

The P20 appears to be pretty good value ?

Marcus uses the 20mm on his epl5 and is very happy with it. It seems a stellar lens but comes under some criticism for being slow to focus, but i've read quite a few things about it being a none issue and it's just a case of it not being as quick as say the 25 or the 45. It's also tiny and would make your em10 really small. The Oly is a nice lens for sure, but it's alot more money and bigger. Looks the biz though.

Try your kit lens at 17 and 20 and see which you prefer. Both are sharp.

It depends what I'm shooting of course and the amount of distortion. When I shot cars, they were almost always with the 35 unless I was panning at close range when I used the 17-50 probably at 20mm.

If I do a landscape, then the kit lens suffices as it'd be at f8-f11 so sharpness isn't critical..

Hmmm - that doesn't look good. Not sure where it starts - 6400 maybe which I don't use ..

Back