OS X Yosemite

Name
Sir will do
Edit My Images
No
With the candidate GM out and available now, who has made the upgrade?

I'm feeling brave today. Just done a fresh install on my MacBook Air and are now putting back data and apps.

Will be interested to see how you two guys get on with Yosemite.:)

Steve,
As an aside question. How do you rate Aperture? I have been waiting to see if Apple launch a new version, Photo seems to have gone a bit quiet since it was announced.

Will be interested to see how you two guys get on with Yosemite.:)

Steve,
As an aside question. How do you rate Aperture? I have been waiting to see if Apple launch a new version, Photo seems to have gone a bit quiet since it was announced.
I'm a big fan of aperture especially its digital asset management its probably better than any other software out there for that although it has fallen behind in the editing areas. As far as I understand aperture will not be developed further and will only be updated for Yoesemite.

I'm a big fan of aperture especially its digital asset management its probably better than any other software out there for that although it has fallen behind in the editing areas. As far as I understand aperture will not be developed further and will only be updated for Yoesemite.

Another Steve,:) thanks for your reply. I quite like iPhoto, but do find it limiting. I tried a trial version of Lightroom, but didn't like it. I also use CYberLInk PhotoDirector and find that easy to use and gives good results.

Aperture seems to work fine. I'm holding out for the new Photo app for then that comes and will see then what I'm going to do.

I quite like Yosemite looks and feels good.

How do you rate Aperture? I have been waiting to see if Apple launch a new version
Apple will not release new Aperture version, they have concede defeat to Adobe and it's far superior product, Photoshop Lightroom.

I'm running it in a seperate partition on my laptop, but will probably hold off a while before putting it on the desktop machine. I do like the UI though.

Apple will not release new Aperture version, they have concede defeat to Adobe and it's far superior product, Photoshop Lightroom.
No they haven't at all. Where do you get that from?

All they've said is that there will be one more update for Aperture and then the transition will go to a new application called Photo.

I've only just installed Mavericks. I'm not sure I could cope with more upheaval... although saying that Mavericks (apart from some arsey behaviour from the wacom tablet) has been fine. Barely noticed it's changed really as everything looks much the same.

Running Yosemite GM on my MB Pro, and do like the way they are gradually integrating Yosemite and IOS8, can now answer telephone calls on my Macbook, will be great when they get SMS messages on Macs, also looking forward to being able to drag/drop photos into iCloud from any Apple device.

I've been running it for today. All my apps seems to work just fine. It is very fast and love the sharing especially.

Aperture is finished and most users going over to Lightroom. Must admit I do prefer Lightroom for most everyday tasks and it's a great image library too, when you get the hang of it! Been using Yosemite for the last couple of months. Works great, definitely worth the free upgrade when it happens. Oh, and if anyone try's to put you off upgrading to the iPhone 6 plus, don't listen to them it's a cracking phone and great for viewing your hard earned images.

Absolutely love the improved spotlight. I was always a big fan and it has gotten a lot better now as well.

It's a delight of an OS. ^_^ AirDrop working across OS X and iOS, at long last, is very welcome, but it's Continuity/Handoff that really make it, for me - it's just so convenient to pick up URLs from one device and continue on another, be able to type an SMS reply on the iPad, or take a phone call on the MBP.

And yes, Aperture runs fine. Proviso: it does glitch occasionally, inasmuch as when I'm advancing through a project's photos, once in a while it'll keep presenting the preview from the same photo regardless. It's not a frequent occurrence, thankfully, and is easily cured with a quick quit/relaunch.

As ever, if there are applications you rely on, check first if there are any show-stoppers with Yosemite, particularly with older versions that won't be seeing any further updates.

I've been running it and using it daily since the initial Dev preview - the last update pushed it to the GM release. It's been remarkably stable all though to be fair, no issues at all on Photoshop / Lightroom. I'd say overall it's a lot nippier that Mavericks, especially on this late 2009 iMac!

Macbook went over a few weeks back too - so works on newer kit as you might expect too.

I must be getting cautious in my old age I will usually download updates on the date of release, I might watch this one for a while.

Cheers i'm keep us updated thanks.

Lets just hope the network stack is better than Mavericks. Clients upgrading OSX to Mavericks soon regretted it when they found SMB was borked, and not to mention inherent WiFi issues! It seems to be mainly resolved now, although I believe the apples hardware to be excellent in terms of build-quality, their testing and quality control over the OS seems much to be desired.

Will upgrade to Yosemite next week assuming I hear of no major issues (fingers-crossed!)

Been running it here since the first public beta, no issues at all on my MBA dual booting with windows 7 or running both at the same time with Parallels 10.
I've even switched to Safari 8 from Chrome as my default browser.

Anyone had any issues? I've had an alert come up to let me know that it was available. Will it work on my 5 year old iMac? I thought I saw somewhere that Mavericks would be the last OS upgrade available for a machine this old.

Loaded it onto my 6 year old MBP Slow install but then it's an old processor. Worked fine so installed on rMBP and iMac. No problems except it spotted a couple of out of date drivers an quarantined them. Up to now now problems. looking forward to the integration option with iOS8.1 on monday. ( won't be the first to install. I

Loaded it onto my 6 year old MBP Slow install but then it's an old processor. Worked fine so installed on rMBP and iMac. No problems except it spotted a couple of out of date drivers an quarantined them. Up to now now problems. looking forward to the integration option with iOS8.1 on monday. ( won't be the first to install. I

Thanks.

What's the "integration" option?

Once you have installed Yosemite you can upgrade Aperture to version 3.6 (said to be the last update). I haven't installed Yosemite yet, so can't report what the 3.6 version differences are. For what it's worth, iPhoto can also be upgraded in Yosemite.

Apparently, there is an Aperture plug-in for Adobe Lightroom but reports say it's buggy. I prefer to stay with Aperture but we'll see what the future brings. As long as it's not compulsory to use 'Cloud' systems - I prefer to keep my feet on the ground!

Thanks.

What's the "integration" option?

It enables Mac's and iPhones and iPads to collaborate. So you could be working on the Mac producing a presentation in Keynote, then move over to the iPad and continue there. Everything you have done on both machines is there .Works with iPhone ( I suspect it's 5 and upwards as you need iOS8.1 ) Connection is via Bluetooth. Without gong back and watching the presenation I think there is even an App to make it work with PC's ( but I could be wrong ). Will find more on Monday,

It enables Mac's and iPhones and iPads to collaborate. So you could be working on the Mac producing a presentation in Keynote, then move over to the iPad and continue there. Everything you have done on both machines is there .Works with iPhone ( I suspect it's 5 and upwards as you need iOS8.1 ) Connection is via Bluetooth. Without gong back and watching the presenation I think there is even an App to make it work with PC's ( but I could be wrong ). Will find more on Monday,

Ok, thanks. Will iOS8.1 not be available for the 4S then?

Don't know. Wouldn't let my 4 update to iOS8.x. If you have 8.02 installed you may be OK

Don't know. Wouldn't let my 4 update to iOS8.x. If you have 8.02 installed you may be OK

Ah yes, I seem to remember that the 4S was the oldest that could be upgraded to iOS8

I did my MacBook (late '09) yesterday evening. It was a slow install and I had the same screen for a while. It got there eventually.

My gut feeling is Safari is pretty slow, but Chrome seems OK. I like the look of it, and like the new iTunes.

I'm holding off my 2013 Mac Mini for a while.

Upgraded both Macbook & Mac Mini (Current version) to OS X Yosemite earlier and must say I feel my Mac Mini is running slightly better with the new OSX & Really liking the feel and look of the operating system and the new add-on of answering phone calls and texting via your mac is a really nice touch

Down to 5 minutes now so hopefully all will be well.

Been running it since release on my iMac 2013 (3.4ghz i5 quad, 32 gb's RAM, 512GB SSD) a lot more stable, less safari crashes, temps have even changed (as we speak it's running at 19c vs 48c previously according to MB monitor) it just feels a bit more stable, the flat look to the OS takes some getting used to, the sounds have changed etc but I think it's clear that this was long over due. Yes we can moan about it being better than Windows but each to their own etc. I wish Apple kept these updates to more of a regularity than a novelty.

I have just downloaded Yosmite but also surprised to see an Aperture update! I thought there were no plans to continue with this?

It was stated that the update would be the last such that it can be compatible with Yosemite and use its features.

I can't wait to see what the Photo application will be like.

There seem to be quite a lot of issues with wacom drivers and yosemite so I'm stuck on mavericks for the forseeable future.

Quick question, in safari, how can you tell if a page has been bookmarked. In chrome you see a gold star in the address bar.

There seem to be quite a lot of issues with wacom drivers and yosemite so I'm stuck on mavericks for the forseeable future.

Yosemite complained about an incompatible driver for my bamboo, but a new driver was available on the Wacom site. Works fine now on Yosemite.

Can't comment on the larger units

Back