OS X Yosemite

Yes, I am confident however it won't fit my needs as well as Aperture so will just get LR and move accross. If it does, I won't bother- but initial reading wasn't encouraging.

Like many more Mac users, I have also been waiting to see what Aperture replacement has to offer. In the interim, I downloaded a trial version of LR, but sadly was not impressed, so uninstalled it and this week downloaded a trial version of Elements 13, which I like a lot, but it's still too early to make a decision as to whether I purchase or not.
:)

Reactions: ST4
Just a caution I ran Mavericks all was good did upgrade for yosemite now lightroom maps module won't work, not alone a number of folk on Adobe have the same issue

Also bluetooth connection on mouse and keyboard is temperamental I find wifi and Ethernet fine (except lightroom) but many are reporting issues

So if you use LR give maps module a go wish I had left on Mavericks Adobe reported that CC was fully functional but it ain't I also have apple care rang tech and they have had several issues in PS

Good luck with yosemite

I don't have FileVault active mine estimates 38 hours for conversion

Time machine works however I formated and started from scratch

I updated my Late 2012 Mac to Yosemite last week and mostly it's been OK. One issue is my WiFi connection seems to be less reliable/stable, with random dropouts. Though oddly since I switched WiFi off/On this morning (on the computer, not the router), it's been reliable.

WiFi dropping out seems to be a common Yosemite experience, well there is plenty of stuff on the web about it including on the Apple Support forum page.

LR5 seems OK to me, but I don't know about/use the maps module so can't comment on that. I'm also using PSE 11 and that seems fine.

I updated my Late 2012 Mac to Yosemite last week and mostly it's been OK. One issue is my WiFi connection seems to be less reliable/stable, with random dropouts. Though oddly since I switched WiFi off/On this morning (on the computer, not the router), it's been reliable.

WiFi dropping out seems to be a common Yosemite experience, well there is plenty of stuff on the web about it including on the Apple Support forum page.

LR5 seems OK to me, but I don't know about/use the maps module so can't comment on that. I'm also using PSE 11 and that seems fine.

See I found that with Mavericks the issue to be dreadful with the Wifi. So bad, I connected the Mac Pro to a lap top via LAN and had the lap top (windows thing) connect to wifi.

I've found Yeosmite usable as it old drops occasionally rather than all the effing time so I can put my old lap top and CAT 5 cable away

WiFi seems to be an inherent problem on OSX spanning back years. For all the compliments on build-quality, its still a point which causes considerable issues for our Mac users, and yet our windows users have no issues. Pings of around 400-500ms rendering the WiFi connection useless, additional expense was needed to purchase the gigabit thunderbolt adapter, although that was far from stable initially!

A free upgrade isnt an upgrade at all if it affects your productivity, and unfortunately Snow Leopard was the last reliable release in my opinion....

I wonder if you guys who run LR in Yosemite would just check see if your map module works please. I know many don't bother with geotag but i admit i like it. A number who have Adobe CC and Yosemite can not use the maps in the map module not only do they often fail to load but its been measured that LR will use lots of internet data until you exit Lr and restart it.

So you can if you wish see the issue in Adobe the link below may help
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photo..._lightrooms_map_module_in_os_x_10_10_yosemite

I just paid my monthly subs again for CC it makes me cross that it does not work

Cheers

Allan

Just tried to use Map (LR 5.6, OSX Yosemite 10.10, Late 2012 iMac 27, 8GB, GeForce GTX 660M 512MB)

It loads the navigator window and then tries to load the main map panels, but it pretty much fails to do that.

Yes it is happening like that for me as well.

In aperture it is instant.

At least Adobe are looking into it, its no easy task for them as the renderer used in LR5 is no longer developed as it is changing in LR6, so support must be a major issue with this at the moment.

They'll have it resolved soon, 10.10 has only been out a few weeks officially!

I'm reading nothing here that convinces me to upgrade from Mountain Lion which has been running with absolutely no problems on my 18 month old iMac.

Hi guys, those of you who have discovered maps are not working as they should it would be fantastic if you could comment on the Adobe thread I put up, you will see that one of Adobes defence issues is few are reporting this happening of course I am unsure but I susspect many don't use maps but wow I miss it

Thanks again for looking I installed a Yosemite and Adobe 3 times thinking it was something I had done wrong :ty:

I'm reading nothing here that convinces me to upgrade from Mountain Lion which has been running with absolutely no problems on my 18 month old iMac.

I'd consider ML better than Mavericks TBH - lower memory overhead for one thing. I have 2 drives for my Macbook: 1 running 10.8 and the other 10.9. I might try 10.10 on the 10.9 drive, because it's not good for anything else.

I did a clean install of OSX Yosemite on my late 2009 i7 27" iMac (reformat boot drive and install from USB memory stick, re-install apps, reinstate data - the whole 9 yards). I did this mainly because I had a few problems after 4.5 years and many Operating System Upgrades. My Mac was running a bit slow, it didn't like SD cards being inserted into the reader, so anyway I decided it was time for a complete referesh.

Oh how I regret that decision - in my experience Yosemite is the most unstable, bug ridden, quality control disaster in the history of my (8 year) involvement with Apple Macs. It randomly locks up, takes ages to copy file from one external drive to another (it just sits there with the beach-ball for ages), leaves icons randomly on the screen which sit above other windows and can only be removed by a reboot, wont write DVDs in the internal drive, etc etc etc

If my experience is anything to go by - think twice about downgrading to Yosemite until Apple have woken up and released a stable version.

Is that before or after you installed your applications on top?

I can't say I've experienced anything like it. Heck the last week alone I've had constantly three virtual machines running, had my IDE, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Omnigraffle, Talend Big Data studio. And mail calendaring etc open all the time. No so much as a slow down to be noted.

Perhaps you are having some underlying hardware issues considering before the upgrade you were having issues already b

I did a clean install of OSX Yosemite on my late 2009 i7 27" iMac (reformat boot drive and install from USB memory stick, re-install apps, reinstate data - the whole 9 yards). I did this mainly because I had a few problems after 4.5 years and many Operating System Upgrades. My Mac was running a bit slow, it didn't like SD cards being inserted into the reader, so anyway I decided it was time for a complete referesh.

Oh how I regret that decision - in my experience Yosemite is the most unstable, bug ridden, quality control disaster in the history of my (8 year) involvement with Apple Macs. It randomly locks up, takes ages to copy file from one external drive to another (it just sits there with the beach-ball for ages), leaves icons randomly on the screen which sit above other windows and can only be removed by a reboot, wont write DVDs in the internal drive, etc etc etc

If my experience is anything to go by - think twice about downgrading to Yosemite until Apple have woken up and released a stable version.
Just a couple of things

Are you totally confident the USB install stick was not in some way not complete
as i mentioned i installed 3 times in the end i did mine clean install ethernet and all other internet based item in my home got switched off disconnected i feel sure that it is easy to get corruption in the download

Thankfully i don't have these issues you have even on the first install perhaps a second attempt may prove positive but i do feel for you as i admit i am not sure if i would not have staid with Mavericks

I have Yosemite running on a 2009 and a late 2012 iMac. Don't have any issues like this.
I use my Mac for work so is used 10 odd hours a day. I find it very stable

I really don't think it is a hardware problem. Ironically enough the problems I had with the old installation have cleared up (Spotlight continually indexing and SD cards being randomly ejected) - but I have a bunch of new problems.
These did occur after I installed a number of apps. Thinking about it there is one app inparticular (the Crashplan client) which might be implicated in some of the issues I have been having. I will have to do so testing with it not running in the background and see how I get on....

Just found a bug/issue with PSE 11 and Yosemite, where if you drag a selected object it snaps back to the original position when the mouse button or track pad is released. I've had look for a work around on the web and haven't seen anything yet. I have however noticed that when the object has been dragged into the desired position, pressing ESC before letting go of the mouse button or trackpad stops the object from snapping back.

An additional issue seems to be trying to use the brushes via the magic trackpad. Basically you can't, apart from spraying blobs of colour. I have seen a work around for this, but haven't tried it yet as the fix seems to need some sort of patch code.
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/pse-stops-responding-yosemite.html

Last edited:
put Yosemite on a spare 2009 Macbook Pro last week for testing. In place upgrade took a while from ML but it seems okay.

no major headaches other than it may not be 100% compatible with CS4 as it has a few odd "moments". but thats not a huge issue as any new kit will have CC purchased with it anyway.

Just found a bug/issue with PSE 11 and Yosemite, where if you drag a selected object it snaps back to the original position when the mouse button or track pad is released. I've had look for a work around on the web and haven't seen anything yet. I have however noticed that when the object has been dragged into the desired position, pressing ESC before letting go of the mouse button or trackpad stops the object from snapping back.

An additional issue seems to be trying to use the brushes via the magic trackpad. Basically you can't, apart from spraying blobs of colour. I have seen a work around for this, but haven't tried it yet as the fix seems to need some sort of patch code.
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/pse-stops-responding-yosemite.html

Just updated to the latest version (10.10.1) and it seems to have solved these problems.

Will have to wait and see if the WiFi connection is more stable. It was dropping out from time to time on the earlier version.

Back