Out of date stuff.

Depends what it is in my opinion; tinned and vacuum packed stuff is usually ok for years so wouldn't worry too much, anything that's more loosely packaged still gets used way past it's date unless it's obviously off and fresh stuff is on a case by case basis.

I like mature Leicester cheese, The deli section of the supermarket mark it down and put it on the short dated shelf, when it gets to the stage that I like it best.
I much prefer it dry to rubbery.
Brie on the other hand tastes of ammonia when it goes over the top. So I prefer that well in date.

I am pretty keen on dates but then again I eat a lot of fresh stuff, like fruit and veggies as part of my year of change. I have discovered that yes stuff will go a little longer but limp salad and veggies are no good, bean sprouts are especially poor. milk is always good for a few more days. if I buy fish its eat on same/next day. If I buy fresh meat I prepare it and pack it in the freezer in portions using old plastic take away tubs. up in Scotland our waste food has its own bin so I can tell how little food I waste now adays.

My wife's one of these individuals who'll just go by use by date alone whereas I'm more of a common sense type of person. For example, we had some yogurts for our little girl in the fridge which were out of date by one day, the tops hadn't "blown", they smelt & tasted absolutely fine but she refused to let Evie eat them.... I polished off 3 (they were very small pots) and had no problems whatsoever.

If it looks & smells OK and it's not something that's renowned for poisoning you 1 day after the use by date then I'll give it a go. Found some BBQ sauce that went OOD back in May, was still using it up until a week ago when it finally run out.

On the flip side..... found some protein powder in the cupboard which went OOD back in 2011..... that went straight in the bin :LOL:

After being very ill after a Pot Noodle..... I had a look in the bin for the lid to check it as...I did remember I was looking in the bottom cupboard where all the dry goods are and it was at the back...but was hungry enough not to look at date at the time...to my surprise it was 4 years and 6mnths out of date..it tasted and smelt and look like normal pot noodle though....I have not had one or a curry since...I never eat pot noodle or anything like it normaly.

I am a little more stringent on out of date now though.

I spread it on the bread and it was awful
I don't see the problem the in date stuff tastes just the same :D

Cheese only gets better with age, just remove the fur coat.

And just think of all these people out there buying mince pies sausage rolls etc etc,( for Christmas) with a self destruct date of 24/12/15

Having had food poisoning on a few occasions my constitution tends to be more susceptible to bugs so anything that reaches it's sell by date gets binned
+1. I had this happen to me many years ago. I can't remember if it was something like cream or milk but it was past its date by a couple of days. Thought nothing of it but became very unwell. Within a few weeks of that, I once had a trifle. It was in date and looked okay but the top layer of whipped cream had turned to cheese. :puke: After that, I've been meticulous about best before and use by dates. Anything like milk or yoghurt gets chucked if it's been open 3-4 days. Cheese - I examine for mould and chuck it away or chop the relevant bit off.

And just think of all these people out there buying mince pies sausage rolls etc etc,( for Christmas) with a self destruct date of 24/12/15
I used to think WTH but apparently this is so people can buy it and try it out before the big day.

I used to think WTH but apparently this is so people can buy it and try it out before the big day.
Those product placement / marketers aren't as daft as they seem are they ? ;)

Well I popped out a few minutes ago to buy a couple of things for dinner. Retail park was rammed full and everyone's buying Christmas food and Christmas presents. In November! :eek:

Well I popped out a few minutes ago to buy a couple of things for dinner. Retail park was rammed full and everyone's buying Christmas food and Christmas presents. In November! :eek:
At least now we have freezers so panic buying can last a whole month, ( and then some) and not like the good old days, when it was just a couple of days :D

They're late to the game. It's been going on since September!

Those product placement / marketers aren't as daft as they seem are they ? ;)

Mince pies have been available in Morrison's all year :(

Mince pies have been available in Morrison's all year :(
And all set to self destruct on Dec 24th ( no matter when they were placed on the shelves :D )

i once drank half a bottle of baileys that was 7 years out of date( i found it at the back of the cupboard one night whilst hunting for a drop of port and i never realised booze had a use by date)...it never tasted so bad and i never s*** my pants....so i drank the other half the next night :D

Not all water been around as water (potable or not) for ever. We're off out shortly and will be converting some hydrocarbons into energy, carbon dioxide and several other compounds including dihydrogen monoxide...

i once drank half a bottle of baileys that was 7 years out of date( i found it at the back of the cupboard one night whilst hunting for a drop of port and i never realised booze had a use by date)...it never tasted so bad and i never s*** my pants....so i drank the other half the next night :D

Spirits are fine for pretty much ever, and unlike wine do not continue to mature (in quality) once bottled.

But oh my word....I'm amazed that Baileys hadn't evolved when you opened the bottle :LOL:

Yeah, I'd be reticent to touch cream that was several years old.
Beer has a BBD as well, although a decent ale will mature like a wine. I don't mind - out of date beer gets sold cheap ;)

Not all water been around as water (potable or not) for ever. We're off out shortly and will be converting some hydrocarbons into energy, carbon dioxide and several other compounds including dihydrogen monoxide...
OMG that WMD known as dihydrogen monoxide :eek:

Don't even really bother looking at the date. If i smells bad, it goes, if it doesnt, I eat it.

I bought some milk a while back for a weekend trip I was going on. In the end I didn't use it, as I stole someone else's, but it went in the fridge when I got home along with the other one that was already open. 4 weeks later, It was still there and I thought I better use that soon... I forgot.. Another week later I finally get around to opening it. Gave it the sniff test, smelt fine, drank some... no problem.

Looked at the date and I noticed its use by date was actually the date I went away on the trip! So Milk can easily go a month past its "use by" date.

Ive had 3 year old bitter before, no issues.
2 year old crisps, bit cardboardy, but edible.
Our ketchup has 2012 on it, still going strong.
Found a tin of all day breakfast in the cupboard about two weeks ago, 2011 date.. Tasted as good as a tinned all day breakfast can.

I think my oldest item was a ration pack from an ejector seat out of a 1960's jet.. It had some chocolate and some soup, plus some weird boiled sweet type things, none of which tasted great, but Im not sure they would have when new TBH. So 40 years old or so past its expected life.

I like mature Leicester cheese, The deli section of the supermarket mark it down and put it on the short dated shelf, when it gets to the stage that I like it best.

That's one of the ones that really confuses me.
You have this lovely mature cheese, that's been aged for months & months if not a year or more, but suddenly at the stroke of midnight on some arbitrary date it . . . what? :shifty: turns into a pumpkin? self-destructs?
It's absolutely ridiculous :LOL:

I think my oldest item was a ration pack from an ejector seat out of a 1960's jet.. It had some chocolate and some soup, plus some weird boiled sweet type things, none of which tasted great, but Im not sure they would have when new TBH. So 40 years old or so past its expected life.

Ladies & gentlemen I think we have a winner

Talking about milk being 'off'. When I was an apprentice in the building trade (many many years ago) if there was any milk left in the bottle on the Friday aft. we left it there, Summer OR Winter.
On the Mon morn it would be curdled & rank, but there was an old Irish builder used to drink it! :puke: He said it was only like yoghurt.
The smell put me off milk in brews & I still have black tea & coffee these days.

There's no date on it, but the price should give an indication of age.
The contents is dry brown and powdery, but a wet-finger-to-tongue test says it tastes a bit stale.
I don't think I'd actually want to make a cup of cocoa with this, except as an absolute last resort...
TP_IMG_1620.jpg :cautious:

It'll be fine for visitors.

I once gave some hot chocolate to some customers and they enjoyed it, it was only later I spotted it was a year out.

Is that a crease in the label, or a triangle of yellow paper to make '3p' look like '3D', and hence pre-decimalisation?

It'll be fine for visitors.

I once gave some hot chocolate to some customers and they enjoyed it, it was only later I spotted it was a year out.
Decimalisation started in April 1968 with the introduction of 5p and 10p coins. Goods also started to be priced as 1/- (5p) in the run-up.
Since the cocoa has no hint of decimal pricing on it (it has 2/- written on the side in pencil), I'm assuming it's pre-1968.
That's a bit more than a year out... old.gif

Is that a crease in the label, or a triangle of yellow paper to make '3p' look like '3D', and hence pre-decimalisation?
No, no creasing, 'shoping, or other image trickery here. That really is a "D".

Woo.
The closest thing I could find to my tin is an undated one (the artwork looks '70s) on ebay for £22. :wideyed:

Decimalisation started in April 1968 with the introduction of 5p and 10p coins. Goods also started to be priced as 1/- (5p) in the run-up.
Since the cocoa has no hint of decimal pricing on it (it has 2/- written on the side in pencil), I'm assuming it's pre-1968.
That's a bit more than a year out... View attachment 51223

I think you owe it to science to test it out on someone.

There's no date on it, but the price should give an indication of age.
The contents is dry brown and powdery, but a wet-finger-to-tongue test says it tastes a bit stale.
I don't think I'd actually want to make a cup of cocoa with this, except as an absolute last resort...
View attachment 51220 :cautious:

Pretty much like the current version ever since Kraft bought up Cadburys recently . . . or so it seems. :(

Back to the topic in question, I am a bit OCD when it comes to food so anything kept in the fridge that are a few days past their sell by date are given to the local outdoors cats (eg, sliced ham, corned beef, etc), even though I still think that fridge-related items still sealed up could keep for a while beyond their sell-by date. I'm also careful not to have any butter on the knife when scooping jam or branson pickle out of jars as mould can quickly form even with the lid tight on and stored in the fridge.

I think you owe it to science to test it out on someone.

@Tori_T The next bunch of spammers that come through the door?
Instead of splatting them, let's welcome them in and invite them for a little sit down with a nice cup of cocoa.

I'm also careful not to have any butter on the knife when scooping jam or branson pickle out of jars as mould can quickly form even with the lid tight on and stored in the fridge.

Pah - Just scrape it off and throw the mouldy bit away.
The stuff underneath it is probably still fine (probably . . . :D)

None of my food gets to see a best before date, it's already been digested and disposed of in a Scrivens like manner. ;)

Back