Outdoor portable power ?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I've got studio lights which I'd like to use outdoors. Is there any device that can be charged at home, then taken outdoors to provide 240v power with a mains socket ?

I know I could use a diesel generator, but that's not feasible because of noise etc.

I hope I've described what I'm looking for properly :)

Some of the suitcase type petrol gennies are pretty quiet..........(y)

How about a 12v caravan leisure battery and an inverter (12v - 240v)

A car battery could be used as well. Both would need charging before you left.

When you say both, you mean whichever I choose (a caravan or a car battery) would need charging I assume ? Then once it is charged I can use an inverter which
converts the power to 240v. Is that correct ?

Yes.

Car batteries are designed for high current for short periods of time, whereas caravan leisure batteries are designed for a lower current but for longer. A battery is silent but would need charging on a battery charger before leaving the house.

A power inverter from Maplins for example could turn a 12v output into a 300w 240v output. This could fairly easily be weatherproofed.

For safety and ease of use I would look for a sealed gel type battery.

Be very careful!! You inverter needs to be a "pure sine wave" type or it will fry most monoblocks. I have a link somewhere that does batteries and inverters combined, will have to look for you.
Mart.

A DIY portable power link

HERE

Mart

do check that watever you get has a clean output, can upset electronics,

though this is part of the reason I use speedlights, that and needing to be able to get all my kit on my back

Try this: http://www.thesolarcentre.co.uk/products/PowerPack_135-340-5.html
They're heavy and limited to a 300w output but they work for me. I use them to power both lights and recharge batteries in the field. I also recharge the power pack in the field using a P3 solar panel. The one in the link has a compressor but they are available without which saves a few lbs.

Having said all of the above, I prefer to use a couple of strobist kits over a full lighting set up.

How about adapting something like this? I carry one similar in the car in case I find the odd dark place.

Be very careful!! You inverter needs to be a "pure sine wave" type or it will fry most monoblocks. I have a link somewhere that does batteries and inverters combined, will have to look for you.
Mart.

I second that - any diy solution MUST produce a pure sine wave or you are asking for trouble.

For what you are going to pay for a power pack, I would look at the Lencarta safari kit. Very well built, nicely powerfull and best of all, small and portable.
Mart.

One of the neatest solutions would be a small Bowens head and a travel pack. Fairly cost effective compared to a generator (which could wreak your head anyway).
In short made for the job, does the job.

Back