Oystercatcher in flight....

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes

^ Canon 70D, 400mm f5.6L, handheld, more EXIF on Flickr.

My first visit to an estuary for photography. Shot from behind a hedge, not from a hide. River Axe, Devon and the only Oystercatcher I saw.

All comments welcome :)

Very good and a ringed bird to boot, quite unusual. Fabulous in-flight with good exposure.

That's a good one Robin - caught nicely and good exposure given the strong sunlight

Normally I'd be suggesting that you need to take the shot before the bird gets level with you - more of a head on type shot - but the low wing position and background interest have made the shot interesting.

Excellent control over the exposure, good stuff

i would suggest that this is your best shot ever robin ,all the struggles and arguing have now started to reap dividends ,makes buying your equipment seem worth the time and money :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

You are certainly Rocking now Robin ,

....The Chuck Berry version!

Great shot you have to be pleased with it.

....Indeed I am. I did wonder if I could have captured it sharper but I'm sure that the TP birders crew would have been the first to tell me so! And quite rightly too. Thanks to @the black fox Jeff's 'training' (shouting at me on the phone to shut up and listen!) I got the most out of it with post-processing in Aperture.

Normally I'd be suggesting that you need to take the shot before the bird gets level with you - more of a head on type shot - but the low wing position and background interest have made the shot interesting.

Excellent control over the exposure, good stuff

....And ideally I would be attempting the same - I've taken too many shots where the bird's head is hidden. In this case I had a limited view between hedge bushes and I think that Lady Luck smiled on me too.

You just gotta try your best with what circumstances are presented to you at the time. I got one more shot with the wings level and primary feathers nicely turned upwards but the beak looks as if it's dipping into a pile of weed on the mud 'beach' (it was low tide) and also the bird is a bit too soft.

I've set up my Canon 70D on a central single focus point activated by the AF-ON back button to separate it from the shutter and exposure. Metering is set to Partial rather than Spot.

i would suggest that this is your best shot ever robin ,all the struggles and arguing have now started to reap dividends ,makes buying your equipment seem worth the time and money :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

....I'm not sure it's my "best shot ever" but I'm very happy that I am making progress and it's certainly up there. Judgement of it might be influenced by what species the bird is.

When I bought my 70D last December I only planned to buy a Canon 100mm f2.8L IS Macro (for Dragonflies and mini-beasts), not even a kit lens and perhaps later a 70-200 zoom but I idly looked on TP Classifieds and four months later I currently have four Canon prime L lenses and a Canon 1.4x Extender! (all from TP Classifieds).

If I can achieve good enough results when the 1.4x is on the 300mm (making it 420mm without the crop-sensor calculation) then I will probably sell my 400mm. I'm testing the 300 with 1.4x to see what I think and know that scientifically the 400 will be superior to the 300+1.4x combo but it's probably good enough for my non-professional use. My photos only get seen online.

I'm not arguing, Jeff, but just openly sharing my thoughts at the time.

Robin - Wonderful shot young man! - well not too young … I read your profile ……. looks like we retirees are starting to hold our own

Great achievement - you must be thrilled

Also a good debate which I like to see and read …… helps everyone

I also put a proviso in - what are the colours/info on the ring - there will be a site somewhere where you can find out where the bird was ringed …… just adds a little bit of interest

With good shots like this I also think that it's Latin name adds a bit more interest ……. but that's just me …….Eurasian Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus)

now can you take another from the hide and on a tripod as that's the proper way!!

Last edited:
....I'm not sure it's my "best shot ever" but I'm very happy that I am making progress and it's certainly up there. Judgement of it might be influenced by what species the bird is.

When I bought my 70D last December I only planned to buy a Canon 100mm f2.8L IS Macro (for Dragonflies and mini-beasts), not even a kit lens and perhaps later a 70-200 zoom but I idly looked on TP Classifieds and four months later I currently have four Canon prime L lenses and a Canon 1.4x Extender! (all from TP Classifieds).

If I can achieve good enough results when the 1.4x is on the 300mm (making it 420mm without the crop-sensor calculation) then I will probably sell my 400mm. I'm testing the 300 with 1.4x to see what I think and know that scientifically the 400 will be superior to the 300+1.4x combo but it's probably good enough for my non-professional use. My photos only get seen online.

I'm not arguing, Jeff, but just openly sharing my thoughts at the time.

Very nice Robin...can't beat a good flight shot.
I use the 300 + 1.4 and have found the IQ to be very good and with the convertor on you're still getting f5.6 and the added bonus of a 300mm if you need a bit less length

Very nice Robin...can't beat a good flight shot.

I use the 300 + 1.4 and have found the IQ to be very good and with the convertor on you're still getting f5.6 and the added bonus of a 300mm if you need a bit less length

....That's very encouraging to hear and so it seems likely that I will offer my 400mm f5.6L for sale which this Oystercatcher was taken on.

If I'm out hunting for mini-beasts and Dragonflies I take the 300 without the 1.4x (in a belt pouch ready to use if needed for a bird) on the 70D around my neck but also carry a lightweight carbon compact Manfrotto MT293C4 with just my Canon 100mm f2.8L IS Macro mounted on it. So I can get as near as 5ft/1.5m distant with the 300 without spooking the subject, get a shot in the bag and then put the 70D body on the tripod mounted Macro to shoot closer, or drop the tripod if handheld is easier. With a Lowepro Lens Exchange bag on my belt it's a very practical set up. I have only used this set up once so far on a 3 hour session around my 'Backyard' but it worked very well indeed.

Result here.... http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/peacock-butterfly-close-up-on-a-telephoto.538320/

Robin - Wonderful shot young man! - well not too young … I read your profile ……. looks like we retirees are starting to hold our own

Great achievement - you must be thrilled

Also a good debate which I like to see and read …… helps everyone

I also put a proviso in - what are the colours/info on the ring - there will be a site somewhere where you can find out where the bird was ringed …… just adds a little bit of interest

With good shots like this I also think that it's Latin name adds a bit more interest ……. but that's just me …….Eurasian Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus)

now can you take another from the hide and on a tripod as that's the proper way!!

....Yes, I'm very pleased with it - We all need to take a good photo occasionally to keep us encouraged.

Thanks for the Latin name. Is this species resident in the UK all year? There was only one and not a flock as might be expected.

I know that there is a survey being conducted in the estuary and that Shelducks are ringed and we are asked to email ID info - The request was on a notice in a hide. I'll send them this photo.

....Yes, I'm very pleased with it - We all need to take a good photo occasionally to keep us encouraged.

Thanks for the Latin name. Is this species resident in the UK all year? There was only one and not a flock as might be expected.

I know that there is a survey being conducted in the estuary and that Shelducks are ringed and we are asked to email ID info - The request was on a notice in a hide. I'll send them this photo.

Yep I think that is an "all year round" resident, just in the UK and Northern France and maybe Iceland
They are also found as winter visitors along the African coasts and Asia to breed in Italy, "Russia" and other places.

Last edited:
you will regret selling the 400mm robin ,if at some time in the future you move on to a pro body i.e 1d or 5d you will need that extra reach the 400 plus t.c gives .i suspect you will do that the way your leapfrogging with your G.A.S

you will regret selling the 400mm robin ,if at some time in the future you move on to a pro body i.e 1d or 5d you will need that extra reach the 400 plus t.c gives .i suspect you will do that the way your leapfrogging with your G.A.S

....You may be right! I hate to say this but you often are right!! (and have cost me sooo much money!)

I should try out my 400mm+1.4x on tripod at wetland bird hides. On the 70D you can enlarge in LiveView to check focus as my current combo loses Autofocus (as you already know).

What is "G.A.S" ?

its Gear Acquisition Syndrome robin

Back