Panamoz - prices are irrelevant if you never have stock

Edit My Images
No
I've been keeping an eye on Panamoz for the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART for three months now with no luck. The price may be good but they never have any stock.

Actually, I tell a lie, they briefly had stock towards the end of April but, despite my filling out the "notify me when in stock" thing on their website, I got no notification of this at all.

I know the Sigma has been in short supply, especially with the imports, but most other places now have it, albeit at slightly higher prices. Panamoz you can quote any price you like but, if you never have the thing for actual sale, what's the point?

Well of course they have stock of some stuff!

My point is that they continue to advertise the Sigma 35mm at the best price around yet they've not had any stock for months. If you're not going to have any stock for that long then stop touting a price as it's irrelevant!!

Sorry I know I'm just ranting, I just have a real bee in my bonnet about online stores that continually tout good prices for stuff they never have in stock.

I wouldn't be buying from a site like that, even with your money...
Why? They are well established and a good reputation from some of the feedback i've seen. Some stuff they are cheap on and other stuff more expensive e.g. their Canon pricing is similar to the UK.

Because they ship from inside the EU (Spain i think) there is no duty or vat to pay.

https://www.facebook.com/carlosonlinestore

Generally, what they and similar sites are doing is probably by using a "tax loophole" - if you look at the invoice, although it is shipped from the EU or even the UK, there is no mention of a VAT number or VAT being charged.

As it is shipped from within the EU if they have not charged VAT and should have, it is their problem ……. but as I indicated I would think that all such are operating legally using a EU tax loophole.

Only time will tell if it will last.

Last edited:
Why? They are well established and a good reputation from some of the feedback i've seen. Some stuff they are cheap on and other stuff more expensive e.g. their Canon pricing is similar to the UK.

Because they ship from inside the EU (Spain i think) there is no duty or vat to pay.

https://www.facebook.com/carlosonlinestore

They claim to be in Gibraltar, have very little reputation from a google search, show no real contact details, no phone number, no payment methods shown, and it's a brand new website.

Plenty of barge pole thoughts...

I would not touch anyone who has not got a good review off this and similar forums …….. good reviews from people who have traded with them ……… there are a few "good" ones around

They claim to be in Gibraltar, have very little reputation from a google search, show no real contact details, no phone number, no payment methods shown, and it's a brand new website.

Plenty of barge pole thoughts...
Have you actually bothered to look or is that just your random musing?

http://www.carlos.gi/pages.php?pageid=3

Carlos
87-89 Main Street
GIbraltar
email: info@carlos.gi

Shop Tel. number: +350 200 78841
Website Tel. number: +350 200 49611

MON TO FRI: 9.00 - 19.30 SAT: 9.00 - 17.30

Website registered in 1999, yeah a dodgy organisation...

Domain ID:D51321-LRCC
Domain Name:CARLOS.GI
Created On:05-Oct-1999 04:00:00 UTC
Last Updated On:21-Mar-2014 14:02:06 UTC
Expiration Date:05-Oct-2014 04:00:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GibNet Registrar (R43-LRCC)

:EDIT:
A quick Google shows they are distributors for:

Sekonic : http://www.sekonic.com/wheretobuy/gibraltar/dealers.aspx
Vax (trading name L B Alwani Ltd) : http://www.vax.co.uk/international-contacts/
Tamron : http://www.tamron-usa.com/about/international_dist.asp

Last edited:
I tried emailing Carlos with a simple query regarding stock, no reply, so wont bother with them.

Which point of mine don't you actually agree with while defending your new best retailer? Which of my "musing" can you show to be wrong?

• No actual contact details on the website
  • No phone number showing
  • No real history on google from customers
  • No payment methods shown
  • Website is new (as in 2014), I didn't mention the actual domain.
But you go ahead and keep bigging them up, I'm sure there are still mugs out there who will be willing to take a chance and then end up like the marks customers of the other "reputable" Gibraltar online retailer that took peoples money before disappearing last year.

Which point of mine don't you actually agree with while defending your new best retailer? Which of my "musing" can you show to be wrong?

But you go ahead and keep bigging them up, I'm sure there are still mugs out there who will be willing to take a chance and then end up like the marks customers of the other "reputable" Gibraltar online retailer that took peoples money before disappearing last year.
I'm disagreeing with you on these points:

Click on their website and click "contact us", it shows there shop location on Google maps, their address, telephone numbers, email address and opening hours. If that lot isn't actual contact details then please explain to me what you're expecting from them? Go to their Facebook page (again i linked you to it) and have a look there, the same information is present.
See above.
Can't argue here, they pop up on DPreview a few times as far back as 2002. Not extensive i grant you but they appear to be mainly a shop front store.
Just tried their checkout and you're taken to a PayPal so i would assume as well as credit card protection you are also covered by PayPal as well.
Woe betide any company updating their website. Maybe they should still have the one from 1999, would that make you happier?

As for me, my last big order (6D) was from Panamoz (a review you can find in this part of the forum, it was glowingly and i highly recommend them), used T-dimension before that for my Tamron 70-200 2.8 USD and Amazon most recently for my 35mm Sigma ART. I go after what i see as the best price, service and support.

Last edited:
I'm disagreeing with you on these points:
Just tried their checkout and you're taken to a PayPal so i would assume as well as credit card protection you are also covered by PayPal as well.

Never assume your are covered with Paypal for anything, ever! Your credit card company would be the best bet if it ever came to that.

I contacted Carlos about their Sigma lenses and warranty and their answer was flakey to say the least, it was an attractive almost £200 saving on the 50mm ART lens but something just didn't feel right with the warranty situation.

Clifton cameras claimed to have stock of sigma dp merrills yet didnt and duped many people into ordering then notifying them they were awaiting stock after they had paid! So its not just oversea sellers that do this.

Never assume your are covered with Paypal for anything, ever! Your credit card company would be the best bet if it ever came to that.

I contacted Carlos about their Sigma lenses and warranty and their answer was flakey to say the least, it was an attractive almost £200 saving on the 50mm ART lens but something just didn't feel right with the warranty situation.
Very true, the assumption really with PayPal is it doesn't manner what side you're on buyer or seller, PayPal put themselves first ;)

It's a calculated gamble with any overseas seller if you go down that route which i've done quite happily many times, i've even used the dreaded Simply Electronics a few years ago (without issue i might add). It's weighing up the pros / cons, in this case you don't get to save £190 on the Amazon price (£670) without sacrificing something e.g. 2 additional years warranty with Sigma UK and a great deal of piece of mind!

Last edited:

http://www.carlos.gi/pages.php?pageid=3

Carlos
87-89 Main Street
GIbraltar
email: info@carlos.gi

Shop Tel. number: +350 200 78841

The only trouble is that google seems to show that address to be a PO box / virtual office type facility - with the Carlos business registered to box 214 (and as a trading name with the actual box Leasee being L.B. Alwani Ltd ) - now call me mr suspicious but a google search on that company throws up a lot of links to china and east asia where they are selling (typos are theirs) "Package materials, scraf, shawl, citric acid, pretective glove, ocean transportation"

People can draw their own conclusions and make their own minds up , but personally I'd suspect that the gib address is about as legitimate as a lot of the "uk Addresses" some grey importers use.

The only trouble is that google seems to show that address to be a PO box / virtual office type facility - with the Carlos business registered to box 214 (and as a trading name with the actual box Leasee being L.B. Alwani Ltd ) - now call me mr suspicious but a google search on that company throws up a lot of links to china and east asia where they are selling (typos are theirs) "Package materials, scraf, shawl, citric acid, pretective glove, ocean transportation"

People can draw their own conclusions and make their own minds up , but personally I'd suspect that the gib address is about as legitimate as a lot of the "uk Addresses" some grey importers use.
They have a physical store, unlikely to hold all there stock for the website as i imagine they drop ship the bulk of their orders hence the lead times and the fact they ship from Spain.

https://www.facebook.com/carlosonli...0.1406299905./248212385329821/?type=1&theater

Carlos the only official GoPro dealer in Gibraltar and an image of their shop display:
https://www.facebook.com/goprogibra...0191230676693/843993888963092/?type=1&theater

so why is their address a PO box ? (and why are four other companies (trading names) based at the same address ?

Back