"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Very nice.

Every time I see one of these I have a 35mm lens mounted and it's a speck in the distance :D

I think the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 is such a nice lens.

P1080471.jpg

P1080478.JPG

P1080483.JPG

P1080499.jpg

P1080500.jpg

P1080501.JPG

It's a shame Panasonic don't make anything like the GX80/GX9 any more,

I think the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 is such a nice lens.

View attachment 410017

View attachment 410018

View attachment 410019

View attachment 410020

View attachment 410021

View attachment 410022

It's a shame Panasonic don't make anything like the GX80/GX9 any more,
I think that style of camera is heading for extinction, the latest casualty of the smartphone. Phones are pocket sized and getting much better for all sorts of scenarios, I don't think there's enough of a market for the form factor of the GX series to make more models worth the investment to produce them. It's a shame though, for those that would like newer better models, but I just don't think enough people out there desire them.

It's a shame if that is the case as I love my GX9. I paired it with my PL 12-60 for my trip to Disney and it's produced some lovely images for the family album (wife likes to do a photo book after every holiday).
I would love a GX9, but I drew the line at 2 cameras, G80 was first, and nearly bought a GX9, but went G9 in the end.

I hav the GX9 and G9 for the M43rds. Still think the G9 is the nicest handling camera I have (have had). I went to WEX BHAM last week to have a nose around and I had missed the fact the new G9ii is in the S5 body. It's a nice handling camera but not as nice as the original

I hav the GX9 and G9 for the M43rds. Still think the G9 is the nicest handling camera I have (have had). I went to WEX BHAM last week to have a nose around and I had missed the fact the new G9ii is in the S5 body. It's a nice handling camera but not as nice as the original
I agree, and the GX9 is a wonderful companion for it.

There are still some vf in the corner cameras but just maybe not for MFT.

I have a Fuji X100f but I never use it, I pick my Sony A7 or MFT cameras over it every time. There's also the Sony offerings, the APS-C A6xxx series and the FF A7c range but sadly for me there's something about all of them I don't like and I can't see myself owning any of them until the issues they have (for me) are fixed. If Sony ever do fix them. Plus of course I'd struggle to match the compactness of a MFT vf in the corner camera and something like the 20mm f1.7 or 14mm f2.5 or even the 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8 Olympus primes I have.

Reactions: CSB
I love my GX80 for how compact it is when using primes or even some of the smaller MFT lenses like the Olympus 9-18 or Panasonic 12-32. You can't get that level of quality from a smartphone and aps-c or full frame cameras are just too big once you add a lens.

I really wish Panasonic would update the GX line of cameras using one of the newer sensors without removing the existing features in the GX80 or GX9, like they have with the G100. Omitting IBIS from the G100 was a mistake IMHO.

I think the buttons are better on the G80 than the G9. Thumb and forefinger front and back shutter speed and aperture, much easier than the second rocker in the middle on the G9. I also have a bad habit of turning the G9 on when putting it in the bag, but that isn't an issue with the placement of the on-off switch on the G80.

I have a G100. I bought it to try and recreate the experience I had with the G1 and because I read that it has a nice evf.

I don't mind that it doesn't have IBIS as most of my subjects move if only slowly which means I need a fast enough shutter speed to freeze movement and this negates the need for IS but I do mind that it's missing a second top of camera control or even a clickable dual control like the G1 had. I really don't like using the back of camera wheel to adjust major setting and I find it way too easy to accidentally jog and inadvertently change settings in use. The handling issues really do spoil the camera for me and I think that's such a shame as it's small and light, has a very nice evf and it gives the best image quality I've had from any MFT camera.

I really do not like the move away from having near top of camera controls for the major functions such as aperture and shutter speed. Sony did this too with both their A6xxx and A7c ranges but thankfully they're now putting them back on some cameras.

Hope you are all having a good Christmas.

I'm also hoping someone has seen this fault before...

My GX9 was fine yesterday but today when I half press the shutter button the image both in the evf and on the back screen constantly pulses. It's quite pronounced. The target under the focus box is relatively stable but areas around it shimmer and the further away from the point of focus the more pronounced the pulsing. There's a slight noise too, I don't know if it's IBIS or the lens being driven into overtime. I tried three lenses and the results were the same.

I suppose it's a fault of some sort but I just wondered if it could be some obscure menu option which miraculously changed by itself since yesterday. I have tried a reset from the menu and it's just the same.

If it is indeed just a fault can anyone recommend a repairer?

Hope you are all having a good Christmas.

I'm also hoping someone has seen this fault before...

My GX9 was fine yesterday but today when I half press the shutter button the image both in the evf and on the back screen constantly pulses. It's quite pronounced. The target under the focus box is relatively stable but areas around it shimmer and the further away from the point of focus the more pronounced the pulsing. There's a slight noise too, I don't know if it's IBIS or the lens being driven into overtime. I tried three lenses and the results were the same.

I suppose it's a fault of some sort but I just wondered if it could be some obscure menu option which miraculously changed by itself since yesterday. I have tried a reset from the menu and it's just the same.

If it is indeed just a fault can anyone recommend a repairer?
Is it on continuous or single shot auto focus?

I've had a similar pumping with two cameras, one A G3 and the other a 80D, but both time on each almost identical circumstances, under trees / shrubs and in a room lit be CFLs, and on each occasion taking the camera off continuos focus stopped it.

Last edited:
It was just on single shot as that's all I ever use, apart from MF.

But... Great News!

I reset it again yesterday, took the battery out and left it overnight, reset it yet again this morning and then tried it... Perfect! I then went through the settings and put them back how I like them and then gave it another try and... Still Perfect. So Gosh knows what it was but I guess it was either a fault which might I suppose come back again or something which had mysteriously changed in the settings (I rarely change anything) and has now been reset.

It was just on single shot as that's all I ever use, apart from MF.

But... Great News!

I reset it again yesterday, took the battery out and left it overnight, reset it yet again this morning and then tried it... Perfect! I then went through the settings and put them back how I like them and then gave it another try and... Still Perfect. So Gosh knows what it was but I guess it was either a fault which might I suppose come back again or something which had mysteriously changed in the settings (I rarely change anything) and has now been reset.
I think sometimes we forget it's now a computer we're using. Occasionally an event sequence can throw the software.
Glad it's sorted.

I think sometimes we forget it's now a computer we're using. Occasionally an event sequence can throw the software.
Glad it's sorted.

I just hope it doesn't come back...

I just posted the other day that it's a shame Panasonic don't make evf in he corner cameras any more and one of mine wobbles :D

Hi all. I hope you all had a good xmas. I have a question about lenses if I may, I currently use the Panasonic G5 and have the 14-42mm (mk1) and the 45-150mm. I am looking to replace the 14-42 for 2 reasons, ! is that I have read that it is probably the worst lens Panasonic ever made, and 2 the images I get from it seem a bit off, not sure exactly what but they seem unsharp, slightly out of focus and just not great images (not that I am any good at taking pics lol). So I am looking for advice on a replacement BUDGET lens, it will be just a general use lens for walking around with, I will take a photo of just about anything that takes my eye at the time. I would just like a decent lens that will replace the 14-42 and help produce better quality images. Plus one that would also be good if or when I ever upgrade from the G5 (maybe G80 or G90), but that may be a fair way down the road, although I keep looking at them lol. Plus I would like it to stop raining at some point so I can go out and take some pictures lol.
Cheers Andy

Hi all. I hope you all had a good xmas. I have a question about lenses if I may, I currently use the Panasonic G5 and have the 14-42mm (mk1) and the 45-150mm. I am looking to replace the 14-42 for 2 reasons, ! is that I have read that it is probably the worst lens Panasonic ever made, and 2 the images I get from it seem a bit off, not sure exactly what but they seem unsharp, slightly out of focus and just not great images (not that I am any good at taking pics lol). So I am looking for advice on a replacement BUDGET lens, it will be just a general use lens for walking around with, I will take a photo of just about anything that takes my eye at the time. I would just like a decent lens that will replace the 14-42 and help produce better quality images. Plus one that would also be good if or when I ever upgrade from the G5 (maybe G80 or G90), but that may be a fair way down the road, although I keep looking at them lol. Plus I would like it to stop raining at some point so I can go out and take some pictures lol.
Cheers Andy
Panasonic 12-60 is a nice lens and can be picked up quite cheap if you don't mind buying second hand.

Cheers Andy

The 14-42 is far from the worst kit lens I have used, in fact to me it seems quite OK.

Have you got a UV or similar filter on it? If so, take it off and try it.

The 12-60 I agree is a good lens, and the non Leica one is fine.

I use the 14-42 on my g10 infrared camera 99% of the time and I find it very sharp, it is the mk2 version though with the plastic mount.

Cheers Andy

I had a 14-42mm mk1 when I had a G1 and I thought it was a good kit lens.

Could you post a picture and maybe state the settings used?

I ask because I suppose things like camera shake, subject movement and shutter shock (an issue when using the mechanical shutter in a certain shutter speed range) need to be ruled out before you spend your money and the settings could help here.

The 14-42 is far from the worst kit lens I have used, in fact to me it seems quite OK.

The 12-60 I agree is a good lens, and the non Leica one is fine.
Hi Sangoma, no ther are no filters attached, apparently there are 2 versions of the Panasonic 14-42, the mk1 has a 52mm filter size the mk2 is 46mm, the one I have is a version 1, which people say is terrible, the mk2 they say is better. I am tempted to get the 12-60 non Leica and just use the one lens lol. that doesnt cure my itch for a new camera lol, but that is something else.

This is the only photo I have using that lens Alan, I realy should keep the pictures I take lol.
Taken at 42mm f5.6 1/80sec using electronic shutter.
It may well be me, but it just looks blah lol.
It could also be that I am finding things that dont exist due to having to much time and nothing better to do than look at other peoples images and other cameras and lenses if that makes sense. One of the first things I do when I see a nice image is to look at what camera and lens was used.
Baby 1.jpg

Last edited:
This is the only photo I have using that lens Alan, I realy should keep the pictures I take lol.
Taken at 42mm f5.6 1/80sec using electronic shutter.
It may well be me, but it just looks blah lol.
View attachment 410653

We should be able to rule out shutter shock as that was taken using the electronic shutter.

Other than that. This was a close up I assume as the DoF seems thin? I think I'd need to see more samples to make my mind up plus of course posting pictures here can make them look less good than on your screen.

Generally though I think that lens should be ok from wide open.

Hi Sangoma, no ther are no filters attached, apparently there are 2 versions of the Panasonic 14-42, the mk1 has a 52mm filter size the mk2 is 46mm, the one I have is a version 1, which people say is terrible, the mk2 they say is better. I am tempted to get the 12-60 non Leica and just use the one lens lol. that doesnt cure my itch for a new camera lol, but that is something else.
All mine have the 52mm filter (I have 5 or 6), and there is another version I have on a GX7, can't remember what that filter size is, i have had no problems with any of them, and they are better than a few other makes of equivalent length.

I also have 2 14-140 that I use all the time for general us, both later versions, and they are only very slightly bigger than the 12-60, so that may be another possibility

Yes it was a close up then I cropped it lol, the animal is less than 1 inch long including its tail, when it hatched

Thanks Sangoma, I have the 45-150 panasonic which I quite like, so I have not really looked at the 14-140, will look into in though, I have a feeling that this is all going to come back to pilot error lol, I also was wondering about the black screen I get between shots, I noticed yesterday when taking pictures of my sons dog, it seemed to take ages for the screen to come back (from being black aftter taking an image) if that makes sense, the card in my camera is empty (always delete images when I transfer them to my PC) so I cant see it being that.

Thanks Sangoma, I have the 45-150 panasonic which I quite like, so I have not really looked at the 14-140, will look into in though, I have a feeling that this is all going to come back to pilot error lol, I also was wondering about the black screen I get between shots, I noticed yesterday when taking pictures of my sons dog, it seemed to take ages for the screen to come back (from being black aftter taking an image) if that makes sense, the card in my camera is empty (always delete images when I transfer them to my PC) so I cant see it being that.
Mabe try a faster card, U3

Also check you are not recording RAW and JPEG

Last edited:
I've never understood , buying a lens ,computer designed, best glass for the budget, made to minute tolerances, and then sticking a £5 piece of glass in the way.

Oh dear. Another fault.

My Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 stopped focusing at anything past 12mm. It'll focus at its widest but as soon as it's zoomed out it wont focus at all. Changing the lens cures the problem so it looks like something has gone wrong with the 12-35mm f2.8. I have had it a long time.

Can anyone recommend a repairer?

Oh dear. Another fault.

My Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 stopped focusing at anything past 12mm. It'll focus at its widest but as soon as it's zoomed out it wont focus at all. Changing the lens cures the problem so it looks like something has gone wrong with the 12-35mm f2.8. I have had it a long time.

Can anyone recommend a repairer?

Clearer Images on ebay offer various Panasonic repairs, it might be worth sending them a message to see if they they can help.

Clearer Images on ebay offer various Panasonic repairs, it might be worth sending them a message to see if they they can help.

Thank you.

I had a look at used prices so I'll see if a repair is viable... but even if it's a bit more than a used lens I'll might still get it repaired as with a used one who knows how long it'll last anyway?

Just in case anyone else is looking for a repairer... Clearer Images (as above) estimated the repair will cost £110 including return postage so that definitely looks worthwhile.

I'll post it off and report back later :D

Reactions: CSB
It sometimes seems to me that there's no distant subject the G9 / 100~400mm cannot tackle well. An airliner in a spring sky...

Airliner vapour trail in blue sky G9 P1013771.JPG

Last edited:
Back