"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

mrtoad said:
on the G1 and perhaps other G models
can the users please tell me if they leave the anti shake setting on on the lens and if so do they use no 1 in the menu..

or if not...are the results normally not easy to tell apart notwithstanding any shake present..?

be 70 in a few months..

My anti shake is always switched on with my lenses. The menu is on number 2.
This probably doesn't help you at all though as I haven't had the camera long enough to figure out what settings work best for what situations.

A few weeks ago I found a roll of undeveloped film taken with my Bessa R and 35mm f2.5 some time ago. I sold the camera last year sometime as I hadn't been using it since buying a GF1 and 20mm f1.7. Anyway, looking at the pictures again today just reinforced my thought that even though I can't remember what film speed I used with the Bessa I'm pretty sure that with MFT I can take pictures that are better in every way I can think of.

To many UK users like me our first reaction is "ouch, can't afford that" ...
And yet ironically the solution to over expensive new lenses is already in our hands.
Oly lenses plus cheapo adapters plus great EVF makes manual-focus heaven, with the cheapest and oldest m4/3rds body (Lumix G1) being about the best ergonimically for the job.
No dosh for the new 75mm? Hunt around for something similar from an old Pentax or whatever and (up to a point) job done.
The Olympus 45mm is a case in point, I have three lovely 45-50mm primes from three different systems that make comparable photos and each cost me less than a tenner. Deep joy.

I'm just getting ready for my trip to Kazakhstan :) As usual I will be going to Almaty, apple city :) and quite possibly the region where the first apples came from :) There certainly are a few of them there :)

I haven't decided what gear to take yet... I'll take my LX5 and either 5D+50mm f1.4 or G1+25mm f0.95. This will be my longest trip to Kazakhstan and indeed my longest holiday... EVER!!!!!!! :D

I do like my G1+25mm but obviously it's manual focus and the 5D offers AF which is despite some poor reports quite good IMVHO. I could zone focus with the G1 though :thinking:

Anyway, just to get me in the mood this is a GF1 shot. Not an image to set the forum on fire, just a scenic shot of apple trees below and mountains in the distance taken at a nice ski resort. Temp about -20 :)

P1020499.jpg

Last edited:
Take it out of pinpoint AF mode...

Mandoo said:
This probably doesn't help you at all though as I haven't had the camera long enough to figure out what settings work best for what situations.

That's exactly the same as me. I read it somewhere I think :)

Caribbean Princess Cruise Line 112894 GT and 3080 Passengers. Leaving Invergordon last Tuesday Evening with G3 and 14-45mm

Just a Floating Block of Flats really.

Last edited:

that'll do...i have it on and setting no1 although i cant really decide between the two...some of the manual explanations are difficult for me to understand...especially the flash types...
i have emailed panasonic to ask what they really mean...regarding speeds for forced flash and S flash...my book shows 1-1/4000 speed range
which is impossible as i found out
i use forced now with manual settings to get a synch speed of 1/180 for hand held with fill flash
cheers
geof

mrtoad said:
that'll do...i have it on and setting no1 although i cant really decide between the two...some of the manual explanations are difficult for me to understand...especially the flash types...
i have emailed panasonic to ask what they really mean...regarding speeds for forced flash and S flash...my book shows 1-1/4000 speed range
i use forced now with manual settings to get a synch speed of 1/180 for hand held with fill flash
cheers
geof

Is the flash sync seed not 1/160?

I was under the impression that CSC was getting it's own little sub-forum, but it appears only this thread is prefixed with CSC. Am I missing something, or have I just picked it up wrongly?

mrtoad said:
cheers
geof

Just found that you are right what it says.....but it seems unbelievable!!

"The flash can sync with shutter speeds as fast as 1/4000 second, an unusually high speed and very welcome addition"

I was under the impression that CSC was getting it's own little sub-forum, but it appears only this thread is prefixed with CSC. Am I missing something, or have I just picked it up wrongly?

just a thread prefix for now, we'll see how it goes

"The flash can sync with shutter speeds as fast as 1/4000 second, an unusually high speed and very welcome addition"

Where did you find that? The G2 manual states 1/160 on page 71. (unless there is a section for high speed flash with compatible flashguns elsewhere in the manual).

7275221636_0dc5d9e2db_b.jpg

so are we being encouraged to create a new thread in the equipment section, prefixed with CSC for every CSC related post rather than expand this one any further? :help:

this is a dead thread, more a social event
you ask a question and you have to wade through loads of chit chat to get an answer
come come friends...lets be friends
:geek:

Caribbean Princess Cruise Line 112894 GT and 3080 Passengers. Leaving Invergordon last Tuesday Evening with G3 and 14-45mm

Just a Floating Block of Flats really.

Golly. What a sight to see, it's hardly graceful looking but it's impressive in its own way.

PS. Have you got a dust bunny up in the top quarter there?

It says there underneath that when the flash is activated the shutter speed can't be set to faster than 1/160th second which is the sync speed as we all know.
So in the table, why does it show for all those flash modes that you can set it up to 1/4,000th second? I think thats what Geof was asking?

It says there underneath that when the flash is activated the shutter speed can't be set to faster than 1/160th second which is the sync speed as we all know.
So in the table, why does it show for all those flash modes that you can set it up to 1/4,000th second? I think thats what Geof was asking?

by God Janice....you have raised the bar here..and clarified a bit of what i was asking
i have contacted panasonic..as well
a big thanks to you
:love:

:love:

very surprising as i thought as well

cheers
geof

You are misinterpreting the table, it shows in forced mode a max of 1/160, but if you are in auto flash mode the camera can set any shutter speed (the flash wouldn't fire above 1/160 in auto flash mode).

The * next to the shutter speeds in the table clarifies the maximum of 1/160 when the flash fires.

Dave1 said:
You are misinterpreting the table, it shows in forced mode a max of 1/160, but if you are in auto flash mode the camera can set any shutter speed (the flash wouldn't fire above 1/160 in auto flash mode).

The * next to the shutter speeds in the table clarifies the maximum of 1/160 when the flash fires.

Ah thanks, Dave, I get it now!

The thing is........... if it was a section on shutter speeds then fair enough, tell people it will go up to 1/4000th second. (except when using flash)

But it was a section on flash use. So why even bother mentioning 1/4000th second when you cannot use it above 1/160th. It seems ludicrous. Or is it a marketing ploy to lead some people to believe they can use it faster? :shrug:

bl0at3r said:
so are we being encouraged to create a new thread in the equipment section, prefixed with CSC for every CSC related post rather than expand this one any further? :help:

You can carry on this thread but if you start a new one you have a prefix to use

Or is it a marketing ploy to lead some people to believe they can use it faster? :shrug:

Anything is possible, but I think being a little ambiguous definitely helps their marketing this time.......

Where did you find that? The G2 manual states 1/160 on page 71. (unless there is a section for high speed flash with compatible flashguns elsewhere in the manual).

7275221636_0dc5d9e2db_b.jpg

the G1 must be a misprint and vaguely follows what you show
i am beginning to think the 1-1/4000 is for no flash
although your table shows 1-1/4000 for S=slow???
i think panasonic may answer my email someday

i really dont expect the G1 or any focal plane to do better than 1/160
all my old nikons were synch at 1/60 and no problems..
if you wanted to do fill you used a flash gun
with the modern toys they build the flash in without a thyristor and confuse everyone
i will decide if i need a separate gun later
cheers and thanks
geof

carry on!

Last edited:
One of the things I like about my Panasonics (GX1, G3, GH1) is that they let me use shutter speeds of 1/500 with my Pannie external flash unit even when flash is bounced.

the G1 must be a misprint and vaguely follows what you show
i am beginning to think the 1-1/4000 is for no flash
although your table shows 1-1/4000 for S=slow???
i think panasonic may answer my email someday

i really dont expect the G1 or any focal plane to do better than 1/160
all my old nikons were synch at 1/60 and no problems..
if you wanted to do fill you used a flash gun
with the modern toys they build the flash in without a thyristor and confuse everyone
i will decide if i need a separate gun later
cheers and thanks
geof

carry on!

And yet ironically the solution to over expensive new lenses is already in our hands.
Oly lenses plus cheapo adapters plus great EVF makes manual-focus heaven, with the cheapest and oldest m4/3rds body (Lumix G1) being about the best ergonimically for the job.
No dosh for the new 75mm? Hunt around for something similar from an old Pentax or whatever and (up to a point) job done.
The Olympus 45mm is a case in point, I have three lovely 45-50mm primes from three different systems that make comparable photos and each cost me less than a tenner. Deep joy.

I feel it is time I asked for some assistance with this. I will admit that despite being "into" photography for the past decade (digital) adapters are something I have always shied away from. Could yourself or someone tell me where I can start reading about them? Can you buy adapters for m43rds for say Canon EF? Nikon lenses?
I would like to use some of my father's old original Olympus OM lenses if possible. That would be cool. :)

Also, I assume (haven't checked yet) the Panasonic G2 when you focus in manual mode and it zooms in some what to aid focus checking, you can adjust how much it zooms?

PrinceCorum said:
One of the things I like about my Panasonics (GX1, G3, GH1) is that they let me use shutter speeds of 1/500 with my Pannie external flash unit even when flash is bounced.

Is that because the external flash has hi-speed flash? My G2 has a sync speed of 1/160, so unless the ext flash has hi speed capacity, it will sync at 1/160 as well.

I use hi speed flash on the canon with ext flash for fill in at weddings on sunny days. With hi speed turned off, the camera will sync at 1/250.

now that is interesting
i can get up to max speed on my panasonic FZ but i thought that was because the lens was fixed and the shutter might be a leaf type
so...is the shutter in the GX1 that type or if its removable lens...the shutter is in the body and a focal plane type
cheers
geof

Back