"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Ooops... Just put my money where my mouth is and ordered a G9 :) I've long said that when used prices dip below £400 I'd get one, and finally they have. £381 for a G9 described as excellent condition and low (<8000 mechanical shutter count). Not boxed, but free postage and six months warranty. This is from Park Cameras, from whom I've bought before several times (GX80, D700) so fingers-crossed! Had been thinking about getting a brand spanking new one, but for this price I thought why not? Hopefully be here soon and then I will post some pretty pictures :)
I'm sure you didn't, but at that price it makes me think you bought a GX9 :)

I see all their other G9s are £100 more

It's a G9. Was originally £479 or thereabouts, Reduced in their sale down to £431 - still too much, but then I saw a £50 off voucher code on their site. So I added it to the basket, applied the code, and hey presto! £381.
Well done is seeing it and putting it together, couldn't be happier for you, went just as you had planned :)

It's a G9. Was originally £479 or thereabouts, Reduced in their sale down to £431 - still too much, but then I saw a £50 off voucher code on their site. So I added it to the basket, applied the code, and hey presto! £381.
A definite bargain for a quality camera.

Seriously ? The best Panasonic camera for wildlife in 2022 - the FZ2000 ???

Looks like that was written by one of these click bait authors sitting in a bamboo hut. :)

Well I have to say I feel like a dog with two tails... The G9 arrived - free P&P, and it's here in just over 24 hours! It looks immaculate. The description was "Excellent" but I'd say "Like New". Furthermore, despite the description saying it was unboxed and only came with the USB charger and battery, it is boxed and the box looks brand new. Also included was the strap, the eyepiece, and all the covers that are listed on the box. In fact the only two things not included are the manual and the USB cable for things other than charging. I charged the battery (a little) and ran outside to test the camera (see below), and all seems fine. Now to download the latest firmware, the manuals, and try to get it set-up as I want. Probably a bit of a learning curve coming on.

Size-wise it's so similar to the G80, not much in it all.

Now waiting for the battery to charge fully.

Quick shot of Woody in the garden on the 100-300:

52593806569_d2169bc9ae_o.jpg

Glad it arrived and you like it so far.
I didn't think the size difference was significant either :)

Saw this and thought I would share just in case anyone was looking:

Well I have to say I feel like a dog with two tails... The G9 arrived - free P&P, and it's here in just over 24 hours! It looks immaculate. The description was "Excellent" but I'd say "Like New". Furthermore, despite the description saying it was unboxed and only came with the USB charger and battery, it is boxed and the box looks brand new. Also included was the strap, the eyepiece, and all the covers that are listed on the box. In fact the only two things not included are the manual and the USB cable for things other than charging. I charged the battery (a little) and ran outside to test the camera (see below), and all seems fine. Now to download the latest firmware, the manuals, and try to get it set-up as I want. Probably a bit of a learning curve coming on.

Thank you for showing this, I have been considering a g9 for the last few days as I wanted an improvement to the focus on my om10 mk3 and this photo is a massive improvement on my wood pidgins shot last week with the 100-300 and the Olympus.

It is a good discount if you want one, but still 3 times the prices I paid for my G9 with the same lens.
I think from what I have read they are more for video users, though I'm sure they must also be good for stills

It is a good discount if you want one, but still 3 times the prices I paid for my G9 with the same lens.
I think from what I have read they are more for video users, though I'm sure they must also be good for stills
That certainly seems to be the market which Panasonic is aiming for these days

Potentially looking to upgrade my GX80 to the GX9 as i love the portability. Is there much difference between the two?

I’m also considering the G9 which I know is a big upgrade but I’m just concerned it’s a little big for my small prime lenses (15 & 45) and 12-60…
Also, think I’ll be less likely to take it out with me if it’s too bulky

Potentially looking to upgrade my GX80 to the GX9 as i love the portability. Is there much difference between the two?

I’m also considering the G9 which I know is a big upgrade but I’m just concerned it’s a little big for my small prime lenses (15 & 45) and 12-60…

I have the GX80 and GX9 and I'd say IQ wise there's nothing in it but the GX9 gives you a slightly bigger file with no apparent drop in quality and it has more physical controls and a tilting EVF and those things could make the difference.

On just image quality I can't recommend the GX9 over the GX80 as for me there just isn't enough in it.

Thanks - that’s what I thought.. I’d like the extra physical controls but they’re not reason enough for me to upgrade. I think the only upgrade path for me would be the G9 but I don’t think I want the added bulk :(

I’d like better iso performance and af

I think the SLR style cameras have better focusing systems than the RF style ones and they may well have different JPEG processing but if shooting raw and not needing better focus I don't know if the IQ differences would be that great.

You may be able to download some raws from somewhere of if not I could send you a raw from each, GX80 and GX9.

Also available on Amazon for £1799 from the Panasonic Store I believe.

I do worry sometimes whether these companies with multiple cameras actually send the right one.

Would you be concerned with a dust particle in a used Leica 100-400mm lens?

It's supposed to be environmentally sealed so could that be a sign that the seals are not as good as they should be?

Or am I just being a newbie plonker and expecting too much?

In terms of image quality there isn't much difference between the G9 and GX9
Both are better that the G80, the biggest noticeable difference is they have less noise (better low light sensitivity) and more pixels.

If you are happy with the noise levels on the G80, and don't want to enlarge or make heavy crops to you images, and you don't need the extra features then you are not likely to gain much extra above what the G80 offers.

The GX9 would do the same as the G9, excluding the extra features, and as you say is far less bulky, especially with one of the pancake lenses or the 12-32 zoom.

The G9 isn't too big for small lenses, they work the same on the G9 as they do on any other M43 camera, I quite enjoy using the G9 with the 20mm 1.7 lens

It's supposed to be environmentally sealed so could that be a sign that the seals are not as good as they should be?

Or am I just being a newbie plonker and expecting too much?
You will notice that most of the retailers will say there is a small amount of dust in a lens, often there isn't that I can see, but they put it in in case you see some, as most lenses will have some signs of dust.

On the 100-400 I would think as you have, especially if there was a lot. However, it is often said that some dust could be there from the manufacturing process (which surprises me as I though they were manufactured in sterile dust free environments)

To decide whether there is a problem with the sealing, I think other things could be indicators, such as how much dust, age, signs of usage, signs of wear or use on the mounting, how tight the controls are, any signs of play in the barrel, price etc.
A much cheaper than usual lens with lots of paint marks and sloppy/loose movement is more likely to have a problem.

In terms of image quality there isn't much difference between the G9 and GX9
Both are better that the G80, the biggest noticeable difference is they have less noise (better low light sensitivity) and more pixels.

If you are happy with the noise levels on the G80, and don't want to enlarge or make heavy crops to you images, and you don't need the extra features then you are not likely to gain much extra above what the G80 offers.

The GX9 would do the same as the G9, excluding the extra features, and as you say is far less bulky, especially with one of the pancake lenses or the 12-32 zoom.

The G9 isn't too big for small lenses, they work the same on the G9 as they do on any other M43 camera, I quite enjoy using the G9 with the 20mm 1.7 lens

I currently have the GX80 not G80

hi ... I don't think there is much difference between the two. The tilt up efv sounds neat, but would you use it? some find it a nuisance and tape it down.

I've thought about "upgrading" my gx80, thought about downgrading too! The little gx800/880? as a second camera, something more pocketable on occasion.

In the end I went for something completely different: the tiny Ricoh GR. Life's a GAS.

Thanks - yeah I think it would have to be the G9 or a different brand entirely
The GX9 is almost the same performance as the G9, and both better than the GX80 or G80

All depends on what you need and what the GX80 can't do that you want it to.

It wouldn't worry me. Most if not all lenses and especially zooms will collect some dust particles but they're so far from the sensor they'd have to be pretty enormous to show up in a picture.

You will notice that most of the retailers will say there is a small amount of dust in a lens, often there isn't that I can see, but they put it in in case you see some, as most lenses will have some signs of dust.

On the 100-400 I would think as you have, especially if there was a lot. However, it is often said that some dust could be there from the manufacturing process (which surprises me as I though they were manufactured in sterile dust free environments)

To decide whether there is a problem with the sealing, I think other things could be indicators, such as how much dust, age, signs of usage, signs of wear or use on the mounting, how tight the controls are, any signs of play in the barrel, price etc.
A much cheaper than usual lens with lots of paint marks and sloppy/loose movement is more likely to have a problem.
Ah well this was a very good condition example with "one spec of dust on the lens which won't affect performance in any way" (approx £650)

I don't think I would worry about that.
Cheers Steve, my 100-300mm has dust in the lens but that wasn't environmentally sealed when made so I expected that with older and used.
Seems a bit weird that a weather sealed lens should let dust get in, but as I said at the start maybe I'm expecting too much.

Last edited:
Cheers Steve, my 100-300mm has dust in the lens but that wasn't environmentally sealed when made so I expected that with older and used.
Seems a bit weird that a weather sealed lens should let dust get in, but as I said at the start maybe I'm expecting too much.
Like I said, I tend to agree, however if it is only one speck, it might just have always been in there.
I can't see any dust in my 100-300, must admit haven't looked carefully on the 100-400, and I have not seen any dust in any of the other Panasonic lenses.

Post focus mode - does this mean that if the camera focusses on a twig in front of a bird, the software can pull focus onto the bird behind after the shot?

Post focus mode - does this mean that if the camera focusses on a twig in front of a bird, the software can pull focus onto the bird behind after the shot?

Dunno if that's possible.

Maybe it takes a series of pictures and blends them?

ah, seems so... just Googled it and it seems to take a burst of pictures with different focus points.

Last edited:
Post focus is like in camera stacking. I've used it on the G9 and it's pretty good. You can select certain focus points within the image to remain sharp or blend them all together.

I was messing around with it when playing macro photography.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2nNJuEc

Last edited:
Post focus is like in camera stacking. I've used it on the G9 and it's pretty good. You can select certain focus points within the image to remain sharp or blend them all together.

I was messing around with it when playing macro photography.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2nNJuEc
I was thinking.....I have a spot where small birds sit in a red bush, and often the camera locks on to the twig in front of the bird, a common issue. I don't know how many focus points you can get in the post focus modes but I wondered if the option gave more chance of picking out the bird from the twigs.

I was thinking.....I have a spot where small birds sit in a red bush, and often the camera locks on to the twig in front of the bird, a common issue. I don't know how many focus points you can get in the post focus modes but I wondered if the option gave more chance of picking out the bird from the twigs.
On the G9 you have a setting exactly for that. I programme the top button next to the lens to focus on the bird if it is behind the twig (far) and the bottom button if it is in front of the twig (close).
Of course it might be something else to a bird and a twig.

Last edited:
On the G9 you have a setting exactly for that. I programme the top button next to the lens to focus on the bird if it is behind the twig (far) and the bottom button if it is in front of the twig (close).
Of course it might be something else to a bird and a twig.
It's a proper box of tricks innit !

Back