Panasonic LX100

One thing I've been thinking about recently... I'd like the ability to specify different aspect ratios in landscape and portrait. What I'd like to do is specify, for example, 3:2 in landscape and 4:3 in portrait. I know you can do it in post but it'd be nice to see the display reflect the aspect ratio and get the framing right in camera.

Just a thought.

So is this your next camera then?

Not sure - I'd like a flippyflappy screen really but I guess it's not the end of the world. We'll see what next year brings with the price - as you know, I've got other things to spend my pennies on...

I got one a couple of weeks ago, and must say loving the IQ performance in low light.

This was taken at my daughters nativity in low light.
http://i.imgur.com/kE1WLCA.jpg

I was testing to see how much detail it could get from the same church during day time.
GNUUbfw.png

hb7Alyb.png

Still not sussed the focusing modes yet :p coming from a Nikon D90 its all a bit different!
The video is pin sharp though!

Last edited:
Ikelite have been the first to release a underwater housing for this camera

ikelite+panasonic+lx+100+housing

I just had a short play with the LX100. And I found zooming to be quite slow. Both on the rocker and the ring where it was laggy. Is that normal, or just me?

Last edited:
In actual use its not super laggy, I am wondering whether they have done that artificially to stop zoom popping on videos.
Its a gradual zoom on videos but seems to be a bit faster when doing photos. Obviously not as fast as zooming with a nice lens on a DSLR.
I took a portrait yesterday. Just this one picture makes me realise I need a DSLR somewhere along the line, but also makes me realise you can get okay portraiture from this.
I'd advise getting using the pin sharp face recognition mode which seems to focus well on the eyes etc.

2Hh3hRN.jpg

Aperture priority seems to work best for me, but still don't know what some of the settings are.. using youtube as resource to find out what all the Panasonic Jargon means.

Thanks. I can understand power zoom for video. But I much prefer manual zoom for stills. It's a deal breaker for me. Sadly. My m43 Olympus kit zoom let's you switch between power and manual zoom. Maybe I'll take another look at the Panasonic GM5.

Last edited:
There are certain things about an SLR I really miss and that is definitely one of them!
I am quite tempted by the D610 now. Ahh hate it when this hobby resurfaces..

DSLR's are so last century :D I can understand a dislike of power zooms but DSRL's are not the only way to get a manual zoom as there are plenty of CSC's and lenses offering that option.

Yes. Hence my mention of the tiny GM5 with interchangeable lenses. If you are going to leave the same lens on the GM5 all the time, then LX100 would seem to make better sense. But you'd lose the tactile control of a manual zoom.

Last edited:
I'm sort of interested in the LX100 as it appeals as a holiday and day out camera (cheaper than an interchangeable lens body and a wide aperture zoom lens and possibly cheaper than just the lens!) but it all hangs on the power zoom. I have an LX5 and its power zoom is simply awful (IMVHO) and the only other one I've tried was a kit lens on a Nex 6 and that was (again, IMVHO) awful too and I found it impossible to get accurate framing. If I don't like the LX100's power zoom it'll be a deal breaker as it's too expensive a piece of kit to put up with a big minus point, if the power zoom is.

Last edited:
This thread has gone a bit quiet - are you all too busy shooting?

I'm thinking of getting one of these now the price has dropped, butI haven't managed to play with one in a shop yet.

Can someone please advise how quick the zoom is? A few reviews talk about it being slow, but without being specific about how long it takes. Does using step zoom make a big difference?

Thanks all :)

This thread has gone a bit quiet - are you all too busy shooting?

I'm thinking of getting one of these now the price has dropped, butI haven't managed to play with one in a shop yet.

Can someone please advise how quick the zoom is? A few reviews talk about it being slow, but without being specific about how long it takes. Does using step zoom make a big difference?

Thanks all :)

Takes around 2.5s (give or take .2s) to zoom all the way out or all the way in. Enabling Step Zoom does not appear to make any difference to the time if you keep your finger on the zoom control.

I tried it a few times with both options - each time I get roughly 2.5s - this is using the Zoom lever on the top of the camera.

If I use the Control Ring (i.e. the one next to the aperture ring) then I find it takes me even longer as I have to take my hand off at least once to re-grasp and continue turning - in other words it requires probably around 360degree turn to complete the full zoom - awkward for full zoom. But I normally prefer the Control Ring as I would not expect to zoom in and out so much for the kind of stuff I photograph.

Comparing this to the 12-35mm lens on the GX7 - I can zoom in or out in under a second with less approx 90degree twist of the lens zoom - if I ever need to.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I keep toying with the idea of getting one of these but I've been a bit put off by the power zoom. If zoom and focus could both be done on the lens (with 2 rings...) I think that I'd be even more tempted but as it is I think I'd rather have the focus on the lens and use the toggle thing on the top of the camera for the zoom. I've downloaded the manual but I'm still not exactly sure what can be assigned to the lens ring in what mode, so...

Can any user let me know... can the lens ring be assigned as focus in aperture, shutter and manual modes?

I assume by focus you mean manual focus?

I have just tested and if I set the Control Ring to OFF in the settings and then set the focus switch to manual, then I can use the Zoom Lever (top of camera) to Zoom in and out and use the Control Ring to manually focus (with MF Assist + Peaking etc) - tried in A, P, M and S mode.

If I set the Control Ring to Zoom in the settings and set focus switch to Manual, the Control Ring still acts as manual focus, with the Zoom Lever for zooming.

Even in iA mode, if manual focus is selected the Control Ring does the focus and the Zoom Lever the zooming.

In other words, whenever manual Focus mode is selected, the Control ring is used to adjust focus.

When in Autofocus mode, the function of the Control ring can vary depending on your settings. It can be left to Default in which case it function depends on whether you are in A,P,S,M mode. e.g. in S and M the control ring selects shutter speeds not covered by the S dial. In iA and P mode it operates the Step Zoom etc. You can override the Default behaviour and set the Control Ring to adjust ISO, zoom, WB etc.

Hope this helps. If like me you find the official manual clear as mud, you may want to invest in the LX100 guide on Amazon - the Kindle version is now only £4.54.
I would off course be happy to answer any further questions - if I can - but you may find the above far more helpful in your purchase decision making.

Cheers!

Only just seen your post but I haven't used step zoom but from wide to standard zoom it takes 2.7 seconds

Gah! I hate you all!

£550, incl case and 5 year warranty...

Have any of yours crashed recently? I took mine around for a trip yesterday, and when I switch to EVF for focus peeking it seems to crash completely.. I am not looking forward to the RMA process

Can anyone tell me about the ring on the lens... is it possible to assign focus to the lens ring in all modes including aperture, shutter and manual?

Can anyone tell me about the ring on the lens... is it possible to assign focus to the lens ring in all modes including aperture, shutter and manual?
Already answered above...If I misunderstood your question - please clarify...

......, whenever manual Focus mode is selected, the Control ring is used to adjust focus.

When in Autofocus mode, the function of the Control ring can vary depending on your settings. It can be left to Default in which case it function depends on whether you are in A,P,S,M mode. e.g. in S and M the control ring selects shutter speeds not covered by the S dial. In iA and P mode it operates the Step Zoom etc. You can override the Default behaviour and set the Control Ring to adjust ISO, zoom, WB etc.

Last edited:
Have any of yours crashed recently? I took mine around for a trip yesterday, and when I switch to EVF for focus peeking it seems to crash completely.. I am not looking forward to the RMA process
Not experienced any crash. I used mine over a 3 hour period in London on Saturday - worked fine. I used EVF on a few occasions - though not for focus peaking. However, I have played with the Focus peaking at home on a few occasions and it worked fine....

Already answered above...If I misunderstood your question - please clarify...

......, whenever manual Focus mode is selected, the Control ring is used to adjust focus.

Nearly but not quite answered :D I've had a look at the manual and I appreciate that in manual focus mode the lens ring acts as a focus ring and I've read that the action of the ring varies with the exposure mode selected but what I'd like to know is if focus can be assigned to the ring in AF mode in aperture, shutter and manual exposure modes.

As I said, I've looked at the manual and unless I'm missing something obvious it's far from clear.

What I'd like to be able to do is have the camera in AF mode and take manual control of focusing as and when I wish without switching to manual focus as I can with a USM/HSM/fly by wire AF lens in the three main exposure modes, aperture shutter and manual exposure mode.

With my MFT cameras obviously I can focus manually in AF and without switching to MF by simply turning the focus ring. With these cameras I also have the option of setting the camera to automatically display a magnified view or not when I turn the focus ring.

So the way I'd like to use a LX100 would be in Aperture, shutter or manual exposure mode, with AF selected but with the option of focusing manually by simply turning the lens ring and without having to switch to manual focus.

Is this possible?

I suppose that if it is possible to assign focus to the lens ring in AF mode and in all exposure modes it would create a difficulty selecting faster than 1/4000 shutter speeds... from what I can gather from reading the manual.

Any help will from users will be appreciated as I don't seem to be able to find the answers I'm looking from in the manual and the cameras don't seem to be in the local shops.

Last edited:
Hi,
I will need to check this when I get home - but I am pretty sure the only option would be to override default and assign Zoom to the Control ring and then you would lose the ability to select alternative shutter speeds as you mention.

Hi,
I will need to check this when I get home - but I am pretty sure the only option would be to override default and assign Zoom to the Control ring and then you would lose the ability to select alternative shutter speeds as you mention.

Thanks a lot :D

Thanks a lot :D
Hi,
Ok - had a quick test.
In A and P mode with Control Ring set to Default it activates the Step Zoom (24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, and 75mm).
In S and M mode it allows you to select the additional shutter speed settings.

Back