Panda internet security

I wouldn't touch panda with a ten foot barge poll it's use less I had it on my system ages ago and it let in a nasty virus that destroyed my system. Not to mention the pop ups from it every so often can be mighty annoying.

A few things to consider, you can get free av protection from microsoft for use with w7 - microsoft security essentials it's called, seems to work fine for many people. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

Also worth checking what the isp provides, some provide excellent av s/w at little or no cost, e.g. Virgin supply the excellent f-secure.

I wouldn't touch panda with a ten foot barge poll it's use less I had it on my system ages ago and it let in a nasty virus that destroyed my system. Not to mention the pop ups from it every so often can be mighty annoying.

Thanks Mandy! Doesnt sound good.

Microsoft security essentials is a good bet too, and its free

I have that on my system, didnt realise it was available for download, i thought it was a preinstalled job.

A few things to consider, you can get free av protection from microsoft for use with w7 - microsoft security essentials it's called, seems to work fine for many people. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

Also worth checking what the isp provides, some provide excellent av s/w at little or no cost, e.g. Virgin supply the excellent f-secure.

Thanks for the link. There bb is with sky, as is ours not sure if they offer anything.

for free software I would go with avast and zonealarm. If you want to pay don't renew Norton via the software, buy it new from Amazon for £20 for 3 PC's for a year.

Amazon link

With all of these it's about the tuning and that can take time, so are set up to stop most things until you turn them off, better than letting everything in and not knowing you needed to turn things on. Some have easier interfaces than others

If he banks with barclays you can get free kaspersky.

I'll go with Avast and the Windows firewall if you're looking for a free solution, but nothing's bulletproof. I've known a few people who installed multiple anti-virus applications too, on the assumption that they'd get better protection - anything that got through one programme would get caught by one of the others. Not a good idea!

Avast and windows firewall here too. Nothing much gets through a router anyway, the PC firewall is only really protecting you from other infected devices on your side of the router plus any trojan horses that want to open ports (but not many - any? - work that way as you have to hack the router to pass the ports onto the hacked PC).

Back