Panic Petrol Buying

I cannot believe that people in the papers are suggesting that Francis Maude should step down over the woman pouring petrol in the kitchen. Have we lost all common sense?

cambsno said:
I cannot believe that people in the papers are suggesting that Francis Maude should step down over the woman pouring petrol in the kitchen. Have we lost all common sense?

It's his job to advise people and he should be wise enough to know that many people are incredibly stupid. He gave bad advice and someone got badly burnt the very next day. It's an epic fail by anyone's standards.

Agreed. In addition the Fire Brigade Union Leader stating: "The Government needs to issue urgent advice to warn the public before we have another incident, perhaps with worse consequences."

I mean honestly, has personal responsibility disappeared completely??

Plus he's clearly made an arse of himself and made the panic worse with the advice he gave - and cameron will need a whipping boy for the allegations that the government hasnt handled this stuation at all well so i predict his departiure sooner rather than later.

Agreed. In addition the Fire Brigade Union Leader stating: "The Government needs to issue urgent advice to warn the public before we have another incident, perhaps with worse consequences."

I mean honestly, has personal responsibility disappeared completely??

Not quite, but the state are working on it..................

Unfortunately it's all linked to the litigious society we now appear to live in. One of the reasons the instruction manual for a food blender states that you shouldn't put bodily parts in it whilst it's switched on.

The guy advised people to fill jerry cans with petrol, said nothing about transferring it to another container in your kitchen with the oven on. Yes, it's poor advice, but if all politicians were forced to step down because they gave poor advice, the House of Commons would be permanently empty!

Do some actually have any?

It's his job to advise people and he should be wise enough to know that many people are incredibly stupid. He gave bad advice and someone got badly burnt the very next day. It's an epic fail by anyone's standards.

You jest surely - even as an MP he couldn't believe all of us are stupid. I know they think most of us are.

Unfortunately it's all linked to the litigious society we now appear to live in.

I think moronic is the optimum choice of word before litigious perhaps?

This whole mess created by Tim, nice but dim, and fuelled by idiots :shake:...........Oh wait - there may be an idiot strike coming - go and buy one now:LOL:

Johnd2000 said:

With the best will in the world, that level of stupidity is hard to legislate for. I'm sure if it hadn't been petrol she'd still have managed to find something to injure herself with.

It amazes me that she's made it to the age she has.....

Flash In The Pan said:
With the best will in the world, that level of stupidity is hard to legislate for. I'm sure if it hadn't been petrol she'd still have managed to find something to injure herself with.

But it's not just her is it. Saw a local filling 5 cans the other day. I bet his neighbours would be thrilled.

Maude is an idiot. He gave idiotic advice and caused widespread panic and petrol shortages. In any job, causing that much damage would be deemed gross misconduct.

Lets hope the brewery drivers don't go on strike

549186470.jpeg

But it's not just her is it. Saw a local filling 5 cans the other day. I bet his neighbours would be thrilled.

"Cans?" Do you mean coca-cola cans? Or do you mean containers approved for the storage of fuel?

The mail had headlines about fuel shortages before the government shoved their oar in. Maud's said keep some in your garage, not in the kitchen with the hob on.

This country is full of people who need to blame other people for their own stupidity, and as for litigation, don't get me started on that, it's getting to the point where people can't even pass comment on sales transactions without the lawyers getting the bloody letterhead paper out!

Back before the 70s the morons were weeded out due to Darwinism. Unfortunately the obsessive H & S culture is saving these idiots from themselves. It can only get worse.

Anyone that plays with petrol indoors is a cretin. If you are going to arse about moving it around containers you want to do it outside and well away from any potential source of ignition.

onomatopoeia said:
"Cans?" Do you mean coca-cola cans? Or do you mean containers approved for the storage of fuel?

Seriously?

I mean far more petrol than is legal or safe to store on domestic premises.

Petrol doesn't even need to be near the oven to go up, a simple static electricity discharge from your body can ignite the vapours.

Matty..... I spluttered at a part of your last post. :D

I've had a conversation this morning with my brother in law and we both have said pretty much the same as you.

If shes stupid enough to do this, what else has she done during her lifetime

I cant imagine this is an isolated incident in her little world !

...........Maude is an idiot. He gave idiotic advice and caused widespread panic and petrol shortages. In any job, causing that much damage would be deemed gross misconduct.

He actually said this......

"When it makes sense, a bit of extra fuel in a jerry can in the garage is a sensible precaution to take,"

.........nowt wrong with that in my book.

Now if you want to talk about idiots, the lassie in her kitchen transferring petrol whilst the cooker was on, would seem to be a good starting point:wacky:

He actually said this......

"When it makes sense, a bit of extra fuel in a jerry can in the garage is a sensible precaution to take,"

.........nowt wrong with that in my book.

surely anythings a sensible precaution when it makes sense ?

I don't reckon it should cost him his job though, you can't legislate for idiots

I think the Government have dealt with this badly, and if that memo about a 'Maggie' moment is true, then things will get worse for them.
Someones head needs to roll over the farce at Petrol Stations this week, and Francis will probably be the Ginger Haired step child.
But he has done nothing wrong in connection with Mrs Stupid. The trouble is nowadays everyone wants to blame everyone else for everything, nothing is ever their own fault.
The well known advert for a claims company should go "Been injured by a trip or fall, then look where you're bloody going!"

I saw a bloke at a filling station near dawlish earlier filling up one of those big rolling water containers (the ones made of white plastic which hold about 30L) with unleaded :wacky: He had positioned it behind his car so that staff couldnt see what he was doing

I did the responsible thing and pointed it out to the attendant who promptly cut off his pump and went to reason with him.

I saw a bloke at a filling station near dawlish earlier filling up one of those big rolling water containers (the ones made of white plastic which hold about 30L) with unleaded :wacky: He had positioned it behind his car so that staff couldnt see what he was doing

I did the responsible thing and pointed it out to the attendant who promptly cut off his pump and went to reason with him.

There are fuel-resistant containers of that size (25L) available, sure it it wasn't one of those?

yep - it was definitely a water container - the reason i'm so sure is it had one of those little dispensing taps on the side :LOL: - not something thats usualy found on fuel containers.

On a seperate note our local garage has banned filling up containers to preserve his stocks - good idea in theory but it made filling up our flail mowers a right bugger - I had to put them on the trailer and take them to the garage then fill them from the pump.

Last edited:
Flash In The Pan said:
There are fuel-resistant containers of that size (25L) available, sure it it wasn't one of those?

Isn't it illegal to store more than 20L in (up to) 2 metal containers or 10L in (up to) 2 plastic containers? Or is it 30L and 20L?

Isn't it illegal to store more than 20L in (up to) 2 metal containers or 10L in (up to) 2 plastic containers? Or is it 30L and 20L?

it is , but only domestically - we usually store about 50L each of deisel and petrol at work for running mowers, chainsaws, strimmers etc, The difference being that this is stored in an approved fuel safe, and kept in a well ventilated area with all appropriately required safe guards (until last year also stored 250L of red diesel in an approved and bunded tank to run our tractor)

the legislation you refer to was designed to stop people stock piling silly ammounts of fuel in their garages or sheds . (you are also supposed to keep it out of your living space and away from sources of ignition - 2 fails for the lady concerned in the article above)

Some folk reading that memo with antigovermment( ANY government, not just red or blue)tinted lenses.

Stockpiling fuel via the army to deliver is probably the point of it, no point stockpiling fuel if it can't be delivered to the petrol stations.

Both parties are trying to make political gains, though the reds are relying of the blues making errors as being bankrolled by Unite doesn't exactly make for neutral stance!

1978 I think - Neil G posted it verbatim on page 4 of this thread

TCR4x4 said:
If £45k a year is an average, then that must mean there is a large proportion on around £60k, which is quite franky rediculous.

I dont care what paper its come from, its rubbish.
I work with a major Texaco distributor and none of thier drivers come close. None of the drivers that deliver to them come close and none of the drivers I meet out and about come close.

One driver I knew got arrested and fired for spyphoning off fuel from his tanker to sell.
Not because he was greedy or a bad guy, but his wage didnt cover his living costs and he got into a very bad place.

HGV drivers, and more specifically most tanker drivers, do not earn £45k a year!

Wow I'm shocked, I worked for ASDA RDC 8. In 1999, I've got a class 1, ADR packages and tanks, excluding explosives and radioactive, SAFED, and city and Guilds in road transport, I'm from the North East, which is working class and low paid, in 1998 I was on £23k doing local store deliveries, Petrolplus from Stockton, where my mate was on £11 per hour in 2000, for 45hours per week

Iain heslop said:
Wow I'm shocked, I worked for ASDA RDC 8. In 1999, I've got a class 1, ADR packages and tanks, excluding explosives and radioactive, SAFED, and city and Guilds in road transport, I'm from the North East, which is working class and low paid, in 1998 I was on £23k doing local store deliveries, Petrolplus from Stockton, where my mate was on £11 per hour in 2000, for 45hours per week

I should of also say, that as a tanker driver you get money to discharge, what load you carry, shift allowance, so it all builds up to a good wage.
The downside it can cost you about £4000, to pass your HGV test now, you have to train and pass your class 2 first, then you have to do your class 1, then to drive tankers you have to have an ADR(hazchem) another cost of £600-£1200 depends on your area you live and what classes you want to do, there are 7 each for packages the 7 for liquids, then if lucky you will be taken on by a company, you need a few years experience,you have to do another driving course To drive a tanker, as ya driving a live load, as your pulling away and braking have to be linked to the load and amount ya carrying, and loading and discharging, well this is high risk, have you opened the right valves, will it explode or implode, now say these guys don't deserve the cash, and the Sunderland tanker that overturned, well he was empty retuning to base, what went up was the residual petrol and fumes, that's why it wasn't a more major incident, and the driver well he still driving HGV's but not tankers,

To drive a tanker, as ya driving a live load, as your pulling away and braking have to be linked to the load and amount ya carrying, and loading and discharging, well this is high risk, have you opened the right valves, will it explode or implode, now say these guys don't deserve the cash, and the Sunderland tanker that overturned, well he was empty retuning to base, what went up was the residual petrol and fumes, that's why it wasn't a more major incident, and the driver well he still driving HGV's but not tankers,

Trouble with arguing that they deserve the cash based on the perceived hazard is that we are back to the comparable hazard issue - firefighters, police, soilders etc all do a much more hazardous job for less wedge , so why should a tanker driver expect so much more ?

Ya right, so do plumbers,electricians,gas fitters, refuse collectors, and confined space workers, I think it's unfair that you are employed by someone to do a specific job on an agreed wage, with agreed benefits (holidays,pensions,uniforms) and when your employer decides he wants a bigger profit, that the only way to do it is by cutting your money that was agreed when you started, and yes if you been doing the job for a long time, it's hard to change career, get re training, so most people take it, and hope it will get better, but why should you take it, you work hard enough for the pay you get so why should you work harder for less money, you still have your outlays, mortgage, gas and electric bill, fuel for ya motor, food and clothing for you and your family, so if you want to stand up and fight for your rights, I will support your decision all the way whether you are a tanker driver, council worker, air traffic controller, you have a skill that you have trained for, you been doing the role a long time, so why should you put up and shut up or leave a do something else, you picked that job cause it's what you wanted to do,

I'm a nurse now, 11 years, I love my job, I like the people, but trying to make me take a pay freeze, pay cut, reduce my pension, make me work longer, has a knock on effect, makes me think why should I do this and that, all the unpaid overtime, why should I give 100% when working, I could give 90%, take my time when someone needs changing and cleaning, I could leave that to the healthcare assistant, when you have cheat pain or I do the ECG at some point, well no I can't do this, but some people think like that, which causes more distress,

So I'm behind these guys, they are dedicated individuals who are doing a good job 100% of the time. And deserve the money, benefits that they were giving the day they started, just like the rest of us, we must stand up for our rights, or we will just keep getting stood on.

Iain heslop said:
I should of also say, that as a tanker driver you get money to discharge, what load you carry, shift allowance, so it all builds up to a good wage.
The downside it can cost you about £4000, to pass your HGV test now, you have to train and pass your class 2 first, then you have to do your class 1, then to drive tankers you have to have an ADR(hazchem) another cost of £600-£1200 depends on your area you live and what classes you want to do, there are 7 each for packages the 7 for liquids, then if lucky you will be taken on by a company, you need a few years experience,you have to do another driving course To drive a tanker, as ya driving a live load, as your pulling away and braking have to be linked to the load and amount ya carrying, and loading and discharging, well this is high risk, have you opened the right valves, will it explode or implode, now say these guys don't deserve the cash, and the Sunderland tanker that overturned, well he was empty retuning to base, what went up was the residual petrol and fumes, that's why it wasn't a more major incident, and the driver well he still driving HGV's but not tankers,

I know I've done it all! You also now have to take the CPC course every 5 years on top of ADR, another complete waste of time and money.
I drive waste oil tankers as opposed to fuel, but I am fully qualified for any flammable liquid and also packages.

Back