Parabolic umbrella?

Name
Oskar
Edit My Images
No
I have read quite a bit about them, but still can't decide if I need/want one.
Have looked at Paul Buff PLMs before, but getting one looks quite hard. So I found this on ebay, Parabolic type umbrella it is only 30 pounds, so might be worth giving it a try.

Has anyone bought one of these before? Any experiences? Maybe some sample shots of light it produces?

p.s. I know that it wont give me the look of Profoto or Broncolor parabolic modifiers. :)

oooooh they finally got the massive ones in stock :D

might have to invest.....

I know that cotswold photo did a lot of testing including getting user's opinions of these vs the alienbees version.

message the seller, I know that he was getting flickr users to beta test some of them.

I've got an 84" PLM and they're HUGE!

I've never used it as a standalone mod, just as big soft fill source, so don't have anything to post as examples (unless I do some in a bit)

Personally, I'd not use it with a hotshoe flash as it's designed to be used with a barebulb source, not saying it wouldn't work, but it's probably going to suck a lot of power.

Quick examples from the 86" no artistic thought or even much exposure effort either...

Shot with the 600W/s Lencarta Safari on 1/8 power all at 1/200s

f8.0 PLM was ceiling height angled 45º camera right
PLM1.jpg

f4.0 + Vari-ND PLM was ceiling height angled down 45º straight over camera (I was in front of it)
PLM2.jpg

f4.0 + Vari-ND PLM was ceiling height angled down 45º straight over camera
PLM3.jpg

Last edited:
Be careful of biting off more than you can chew.

I have the Buff 86" plm, and saying it is big is an understatement. It is possibly too big if you dont have a high ceiling studio. Normal domestic ceiling heights would be very restrictive. I'd go for a 60 inch or so next time.

Back