Parallels 10 for Mac - £27

Alternatively use VirtualBox (Open Source) for free.

Alternatively use VirtualBox (Open Source) for free.

Plus Windows license, obvs ;)

I see a lot of people transitioning to Mac saying things like "well, I can use Parallels to run all my old stuff if I need to". That's kind of true but they forget that Windows without a machine is actually pretty pricey. At one point you needed the super duper "just take all my money" version to legally run it under an emulator.

Plus Windows license, obvs ;)

I see a lot of people transitioning to Mac saying things like "well, I can use Parallels to run all my old stuff if I need to". That's kind of true but they forget that Windows without a machine is actually pretty pricey. At one point you needed the super duper "just take all my money" version to legally run it under an emulator.
I know Windows was originally mentioned but you can use VirtualBox et al to run Linux and various versions of OSX legally in a VM on a Mac. I sometimes run Windows XP in a virtual machine without a licence that MS would approve but 1. I have bought plenty of licences with long dead machines so I think MS has had their pound of flesh from me and 2. I usually only use Win XP when I am trying to sort out a problem that some friend or relative has with their infernal Windows machine :(

Don't forget to factor in the £110 for a copy of Windows ;)

He he! I'd already got Windows 7 and noticed to buy now is around £70-80 with Windows 8.1 not too much more expensive! All for three programs that I can't get Mac versions of / like the Windows one!

How do folk with a Mac find using Windows on it? Does everything work ok? I'm contemplating a move over to a Macbook Pro but I've got the odd thing that isn't available for Mac.

I think the vast majority of Mac users end up not running Windoze. It's possible and certainly XP runs fairly well. But you just end up not using those odd things ;)

What's on your list?

I run Win 7 on Parallels, everything works fine, I use it to run Access. Takes while to load then it flys.

Back