Pencils

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent the morning taking this photo of some pencils. The company that I work for has framed photos on the wall, which employees have taken. Every so often these photos are updated, and this time the theme is "colours". I had a think for a bit and then decided that I'd take some photos of some coloured pencils. It's a photo that I've always wanted to take but never have because it's quite cliched, so it's good to have a reason to take it now!

Taken on a 5DmkII with Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro. Used a couple of generic big lightboxes too. Any critique on lighting would be great as I have basically zero knowledge or experience of lighting.

Anyway, here's the photo :)

Pencils
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Sharp, clean, almost perfect layout…

very good Carl!

WoW that is a nice shots and I do like the pencils off centre. It's good to see that you didn't just throw the colours in, having them graded adds to this shot.
Lighting, not a clue either but imo it looks good all round. Well done and I'm sure you'll have your photo on the wall of fame.

Love it, great shot! The WB looks a tad red on my screen but may be fine on your's?

Thanks :) Hmm I'm not sure, it looks pretty white on this laptop, but it's just a cheapy Chromebook so who knows! I'll have another check when I get back on the Mac :)

Sharp, clean, almost perfect layout…

very good Carl!

Thank you Kodiak :)

WoW that is a nice shots and I do like the pencils off centre. It's good to see that you didn't just throw the colours in, having them graded adds to this shot.
Lighting, not a clue either but imo it looks good all round. Well done and I'm sure you'll have your photo on the wall of fame.

Thanks! I got a photo of a colour wheel up on Google, and then spent ages rummaging through a box of pencils trying to find the ones that matched the best :LOL:

Suggest you clone out some pencil tips to make it a perfect circle in the middle.

But brilliantly executed. :)

Oh man, I know what you mean, it was bugging the hell out of me that they weren't quite round, but every time I tried to move a pencil I ended up nudging another one and it all went pear shaped! I'm not great with cloning and the like but I will have a play later and see if I can even it out :)

Excellent ...I love it :clap:

Thanks! :D

Nice shot fella, I like that, lovely colours (y)

Ref your colour wheel, you could have had any colours and pasted the pencils in as layers, then changed the hue to suit whatever you wanted and erased the pencils you didnt want (you could still do it by duplicating layers - but tbh, I think you've done a grand job just the way it is :)

great shot.... loving the colours... agree about the circle in the middle

is it that they are being bottom lit from the light boxes that zeroes out any shadows that the pencils produce from the top-lighting

also... all of the pencils opposite each other seem to run parallel... except the red & green that run horizontally... which are slightly off kilt... and once i had seen it... couldn't un-see it

Back