Photobucket degrading photos - alternatives please

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently I posted some photos of the BTCC qualifying using a private folder in Photobucket to host them. Somehow the photos didn't look right compared to how they look in Photoshop, they looked pixelated. So I checked the Photobucket images against the Photoshop images and found this to be right. :mad: When re-hosted from 500px though they were as per Photoshop.

I like to post my photos in a private folder in Photobucket for critique and then once happy with the image I put it on my 500px page.

Is there another way of hosting photos just so you can use the link without anyone seeing them exept where you paste the link, eg TP?? Can you do it on flickr?? I know my photos arent the best in the worls so the last thing I need is hosting making them worse ;)

Here are some examples, if you zoom in you can see the difference

Photobucket
BTCC1_MG_0446CR_zpsd5edd798.jpg

500px
4.jpg

Photobucket
BTCC6_MG_1069CR_zps8de536e3.jpg

500px
4.jpg

It's not quite the same sort of service but I have used Cube Upload for privately sharing images, or posting into forums using the share option and posting the link. I have not noticed any degradation using that service. I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for though.

I Hope that helps,

Ivor

Im sure you can make pictures private on flikr or only so friends can see

they dont look that much different to be fair, a little compressed maybe. hard to tell when they're different resolution.

but as dave said above you can set images to friends only in flickr and still embed them in a forum etc.

I use PB all the time. You need to go into settings and change the default image size to either 1024:768 or max (I can't remember which right now) and turn off any other setting that looks like it will compress the images you upload.

I use PB all the time. You need to go into settings and change the default image size to either 1024:768 or max (I can't remember which right now) and turn off any other setting that looks like it will compress the images you upload.

Ah it was set to 640x480 :rolleyes:
I'll give it a go next time I host some photos

Thanks all,
PS Is Flickr better than Photobucket or are they about the same?

Flickr and PB are different, with flickr much more of a place for photographers to display their images, while PB is a great place to serve images to web pages. Flickr used to be terrible - slow, difficult to browse images, but seems to have turned round in the last year or so. PB was always much faster, but the level of advertising makes the site unusable for hosting galleries.

Bucket fine with me, you need to change your res.

Ooops, too late!

Flickr and PB are different, with flickr much more of a place for photographers to display their images, while PB is a great place to serve images to web pages. Flickr used to be terrible - slow, difficult to browse images, but seems to have turned round in the last year or so. PB was always much faster, but the level of advertising makes the site unusable for hosting galleries.
plus the bandwidth limitations on PB make it a little unprofessional.

Back