Photographing a Celebrity...

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all wonder if you could give me your thoughts on this.

A few months ago I decided to teach myself web design - as part of this i asked a few friends if they wanted web sites built (for free) for me to add to my portfolio. One of my mates and I shared a mutual liking of a well known celeb who didnt have a website, so to build up my skills I thought Id have a crack at setting one up as a laugh. Well, rather surprisingly, it went far better than I could have imagined, and within a week of the site going live, the PR team for the celeb got in touch and offered their help and support. They offered me a press pass to an event the celeb was filming in New York and I was in my element on the pap line with my camera and got some great shots for my website.

Anyway, moving on, I still have a very good relationship with the celebs PR and Im going to out to LA to attend another event later in the year. Will most likely get another press pass but I was hoping this time I might ask to take things one step further and request a one on one photo shoot with the celeb. They are a very busy person, so I wouldnt want or expect "a studio shoot" ( I dont have the skills for this anyway) -I was thinking more along the lines of a "docu shoot" type thing? i.e shooting behind the scenes, candids etc.

I do think there is a high possibility they might agree to this so I want to pitch it just right and also have an idea of what to offer. I dont want to be intrusive - and think the photographs would work better if they were taken discretely anyway.

So my questions are - do you think its even worth asking?? Im not a professional tog- but as Im "known" to the celebs team I do have "a way in" so to speak. If I were to pitch the idea, should I suggest the "docu shoot" idea or just ask for a general photo op and let them decide what they want? (If anything). The end photos would be used on my website only and I wouldnt sell them for a profit - although they may well be picked up on by the media so Id offer any monies made to charity - does that sound fair? From a personal point of view my "gain" would come from the experience and hopefully it would lead to other things and opportunities.

Last edited:
Got no idea :shrug: So now that the site is live can you give us a link?

Thanks I think I will ask :) . The worse they can say is no.

Erm Im a tad embarrassed to post the link LOL -you will all think Im strange ;) - I will think about it ;)

not katie price?!

pls say its not her!

go ahead and ask. you'll only regret it if you don't later down the line.

as for what happens with the pics after that.... if you get good media coverage and the chance to sell some images, then sell them for you and the work you have put into the site and your portfolio.

You have to start seeing a return at some stage don't you? So why not now? (y)

Much kudos to the OP if it is......<says he currently going through the ST rich list to see if anyone else needs a personal togger>:LOL:

Well maybe we will have to wait and see if its right lol. and I apologise for my stupidity but what is OP? :LOL:

Ah well I see my dirty little secret is out ;)- yeah its Mr Cowell. I have met him a couple times since my little project took off and he is such a nice man. And yep - absolutely LOADED :D . I seriously need a go in his Bugatti Veyron (for er, photographic purposes of course!).

Will bend his PRs ear about it a bit nearer to my trip and see if I can arrange something I think- would be an interesting thing to do. If not then I will probably still get a press pass. I quite like shooting celebs - done a few red carpets now and its always fun. Especially finding out who are the nice and who are the vile ones ;).

You don't get if you don't ask....

So far you've been handed some great opportunities - they obviously like you, like what you do and your approach, so asking for a photo shoot - it could be a couple of snaps or a full shoot, who knows - is always worth having a crack at.

You're a lucky guy so far; ride your luck and just enjoy everything that comes your way :)

I've got no advice to give in this line of work but I will wish you all the best in this very exciting venture :)

Got no idea :shrug: So now that the site is live can you give us a link?

Sorry you were unable to understand my reply, so I will try and explain it a bit clearer, first of all there are a couple of key points in your original post.

1. A few months ago I decided to teach myself web design.

2. One of my mates and I shared a mutual liking of a well known celeb who didnt have a website, so to build up my skills I thought Id have a crack at setting one up as a laugh.

3.Well, rather surprisingly, it went far better than I could have imagined, and within a week of the site going live, the PR team for the celeb got in touch and offered their help and support.

That is great news, but why can you not post a link to this website :shrug: as I would be really interested to see it. (y) I am afraid my balls are not made of Crystal so I have no idea what I should be looking for out on that worldwide web :shrug:

Sorry you were unable to understand my reply, so I will try and explain it a bit clearer, first of all there are a couple of key points in your original post.

1. A few months ago I decided to teach myself web design.

2. One of my mates and I shared a mutual liking of a well known celeb who didnt have a website, so to build up my skills I thought Id have a crack at setting one up as a laugh.

3.Well, rather surprisingly, it went far better than I could have imagined, and within a week of the site going live, the PR team for the celeb got in touch and offered their help and support.

That is great news, but why can you not post a link to this website :shrug: as I would be really interested to see it. (y) I am afraid my balls are not made of Crystal so I have no idea what I should be looking for out on that worldwide web :shrug:

I hope its this one:

http://www.angrysimon.com/

:LOL:

I reckon if you were looking for a website about Simon Cowell Online, you'd only have to do a quick Google :p

Hi yes my site is www.simoncowellonline.co.uk . I've had no previous web building experience so it's a bit clunky in parts and I'm working on various tweaks. The powers that be seem to like it though and I have had some lovely feedback from Simon and his team. Which was nice :) .

It's been a fun little project that has kind of snowballed really. Photography is my main hobby though and it's been good to get some opportunities in that field that have come up through doing this site. Which is why I was wondering if I could push things to a slightly more interesting level. Like him or loathe him, I'm sure most people would admit a shoot with Simon Cowell would be one interesting days work!

Very impressive! Go for it and ask. Just be polite and understanding that Simon Cowell's a very busy man. If you wanted to do a docu-type shoot you could do without getting in the way at all really and I think since you already have a way in, they'd be quite likely to say yes. Go for it! And good luck!

(And I agree, if you can, sell the photos for yourself! You've got to make money at some stage - maybe invest any money earned in your photography? :) )

Wow this sounds an impressive result!

I'm off to see if there is a kylieminogueonline.co.uk yet! :love:

Mank--Thank you for clearing that up ;)

Wow well done Allie5 great opportunities there (y)

nice one!!

best of luck with your venture!

now who can i cyber stalk?...

Back