Photographing Mountain Biking - High Air / Tricks etc... FOCUS..

Name
kane
Edit My Images
No
I was out shooting with my Canon 5DMK3 and 70-200 2.8ii - Shooting BMX.
I was using a slave flash and all was well. (unusual choice lens for extreme sports but it's my vibe :)

But one issue. Focus. Obvioulsy my 5DMK3 is not overly great for liv action focus, It's ok but I guess not as fast as say the new Sony / Canon / Nikon mirrorless.

Anyway, I was having to ask the rider to stand top of the ramps, hold his hands up so I could grab focus and basically hold that or keep it roughly in focus.

What should I be doing rather than this Fred Flintstone approach? Any particular focus modes on my camera help me? I did ok, just know it's not the right way.

So I will be locked in, lens pointd, shot framed, waiting for the rider to enter the frame and with manual focus enabled and shutter half down, click at the right moment. I got the shots, but there has to be a better way than asking a rider every time to stand there and let me get focus!!

Yes I suppose I could use auto to get the focus but I was pretty close with the eye looking at them in LR.
I am wondering if AI SERVO mode is any good, I didn't think to try it on the day.
I know this camera is what, 10 years old now so it's not 'smart' - Kills it on the stills, and some low motion video but when it comes to liv action you eithr go at it in manual or you don't at all...
Any tips to shooting fast action with this camera and getting focus.
I am perfectly happy to continue with manual focus and asking rider to stop and let me focus.
But just wondering how say football togs and F1 togs did it with this camera back in the day?

I suspect that your problems are to do with the focus settings. How have you set the camera up?

Have you tried back button focus? With that you get to choose when the auto focus is applied without having to keep the shutter button half pressed.

70-200 f2.8 is the main lens for shooting mountain biking. If you look at the Pinkbike photo epics from any of the world cup rounds you can get the EXIF data for the photos and most seem to be taken on a 70-200f2.8.

For focus settings I would use AI servo (ideally with back button focus,) as Gav says, tracking the rider into the jump. However, if you are just taking a photo of them after they appear over the lip of the jump, pre-focussing - as you were doing, is usually the best way. Obviously, this is more reliable when you are using a wider lens as there is more depth of field.

If you are not using AI Servo that is your major issue. ONE SHOT will knacker you.

Use BBF and then pre focus on the jump. Then engage focus and track.

There is nothing wrong with the 5DIII’s AF system and it is perfectly capable of coping with fast action sport. You just need to set it up properly.

PS - this thread would be a lot better off in the TalkSport section. Just ask the admin to move it.

I was out shooting with my Canon 5DMK3 and 70-200 2.8ii - Shooting BMX.
I was using a slave flash and all was well. (unusual choice lens for extreme sports but it's my vibe :)

But one issue. Focus. Obvioulsy my 5DMK3 is not overly great for liv action focus, It's ok but I guess not as fast as say the new Sony / Canon / Nikon mirrorless.

Anyway, I was having to ask the rider to stand top of the ramps, hold his hands up so I could grab focus and basically hold that or keep it roughly in focus.

What should I be doing rather than this Fred Flintstone approach? Any particular focus modes on my camera help me? I did ok, just know it's not the right way.

So I will be locked in, lens pointd, shot framed, waiting for the rider to enter the frame and with manual focus enabled and shutter half down, click at the right moment. I got the shots, but there has to be a better way than asking a rider every time to stand there and let me get focus!!

Hey, just saw this post from a wee while back and thought I would reply.

As some have said, the 5D3 is more than capable of taking decent action shots once set up properly.

Ai servo is a must, no way can the other modes get you good shots when it comes to action.

Single point focus and follow the rider in one smooth motion.

No need for BBF. Not saying it isn't useful but you don't "need" to use it to get some great images.

With riders that suddenly appear over the crest I may sometimes prefocus on that point if that's where the action is, otherwise try and preempt the direction and be quick!

Haven't used the 5D3 is a long time but it can still get the shot.

Greg Minnaar by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Scott. 99 Beeches. by nessiemac1, on Flickr

PH BEST 5 by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Jump samples by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Top 5 2017 by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Back