Tutorial Photography Guide: Light Trails

Been out and had another bash at light trails,not one vehicle came down the other side of the carriageway all the time i was there about 40 mins,bit of a bummer but here's the best of the bunch.

m16.jpg

Hi Tony, I suspect that the lack of traffic on the approaching carriageway there must have been a crash, that looks to be a interesting location, with interest in both the trails and the background, I think that the settings are perfect had there been cars on the other carriageway, give the lack of cars I would have fired a few off at f/8-11 to try and get a bit more colour in the sky, but that is all part of the learning curve, it is a shame that the blue lights are not in the whole of the trail but such is life.

Are you shooting with a cable release/trigger or are you currently just firing directly from the camera, as personally I find that a +60 second exposure is better because it ensures that you have complete trails rather than trails terminating in frame.

I think that you are doing really well with the examples that I have seen thus far so keep up the good work, remember to either post here or PM if you want any help or advise and I will always endeavor to help

I would like to add this location on to the light trails map so if you can send me the details and a if possible a direct link to this image I will add the location.

Matt
MWHCVT

I know it's not very good but i like the way you can read the destination on the front of the bus.Carlton/Shafton no 34.

shafton.jpg

Having checked the Exif info, I think that you have selected the right settings for the location and your focus, there trails are nice and complete and I like the effect that you have with the bus, I have to wonder why it has come out like this, I suppose it has to do with the frequency that LED's pulse at because if I remember correctly LED's switch on/off at high speed.

You have picked and unusual focus but it works well and I like the symmetry of the entire image, keep playing around with them, I don't not if you have given it any thought but if you join a photo sharing site, if you go for flickr be sure to add me and that will make it easier to follow your trails.

Matt
MWHCVT

Been and had another go tonight,went before it got too dark.

light_trails_M1.jpg

Been and had another go tonight,went before it got too dark.

light_trails_M1.jpg

That is really very good, it is a shame that lorry that was coming towards you with the illuminated sign on the front is not a full trail, the exposure must have been started a couple of seconds after it came into view, but that is just a but of bad luck, I try not to start a frame if there is something distinctive approaching when you are going to start the trail, as this can end up being very obvious in the finished trail.

I hope you don't mind but I have given it a little edit

light_trails_M1v2 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

All the I have done with the is lighten it to enhance the colours in the sky and levelled it by 0.85CW, I accept that the scene may have been level but the first thing that I though on seeing the image was that it was not level, so for aesthetic reasons it was worth levelling.

Looks like another cracking location, so if you can give me the bridge location I will add this onto the light trails map also.

Matt
MWHCVT

Same bridge at Crigglestone Matt,but looking southbound this time.

sticky71 said:
Same bridge at Crigglestone Matt,but looking southbound this time.

A very good bridge then, trails from both sides, that must be a tesco value bridge ;)

What did you think of the edit?

A very good bridge then, trails from both sides, that must be a tesco value bridge ;)

What did you think of the edit?

Sound that Matt.

Great guide - I want to start doing this asap. Need to get a tripod and remote release first! Is it essential to get an expensive tripod or will a cheapo be ok? I'll only be using it for motorway bridges and landscapes, but won't be carrying it for miles on my back....

Great guide - I want to start doing this asap. Need to get a tripod and remote release first! Is it essential to get an expensive tripod or will a cheapo be ok? I'll only be using it for motorway bridges and landscapes, but won't be carrying it for miles on my back....

Hi Will, thanks I'm glad that you like the guide, I'm not sure what you are going to class as cheap but personally I would say that you don't need to spend a fortune on a tripod, it needs to be stable but you don't need to be spending hundreds, my tripod was about £80 and I really cannot think of a time that it had let me down or been unstable(in that I could not take a clear photo) if you have any questions please don't hesitate to post them here or PM me.

Matt
MWHCVT

Hiya Matt,

Thanks for compiling this guide to light trails. I have finally managed to read through it and it is very informative with some really useful tips.

Traffic Light trails, is something I have wanted to try for some time now, but have never had the guts to go out and set up camera on a bridge to do same. Now is the time to start and with your helpful guide I hope to get some good shots.

In November I did some firework pics, which use a similar setting to what you have mentioned in your guide. I have also recently been experimenting with light trails, but using different types of lamps which has produced some interesting results. I will be posting same to my flickr page soon when I have sifted through the +500 pics :LOL:

Thanks again for your useful guide and sharing some of your images with us as examples.

I look forward to following your work.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hey Matthew, great thread. Looking at your locations I must be pretty close to you. I am going to get a tripod this weekend and give it a go. I have wanted to try for ages but, needed a simple guide like this to give me a kick up the rear. Thanks. :)

Hey Matthew, great thread. Looking at your locations I must be pretty close to you. I am going to get a tripod this weekend and give it a go. I have wanted to try for ages but, needed a simple guide like this to give me a kick up the rear. Thanks. :)

Hi Martyn,

So where are you based then? I am pleased that you have found the guide useful, its always great to get feedback on the guide...Don't forget a trigger if you haven't already got one as for light trails they are worth there weight in gold, but thankfully considering this hobby don't cost a lot at all mine is a simple £15.00 one and it works a treat, it doesn't have the fancy features of a £90 Canon branded trigger, but you really don't need them for this type of photography.

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
Thanks for your guide. Perfect guide for a DSLR Newbie ! Will give it a try when I get my camera

dentonkarl said:
Thanks for your guide. Perfect guide for a DSLR Newbie ! Will give it a try when I get my camera

Thanks, I am pleased that you have found it informative and I look forward to seeing your results

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi Martyn,

So where are you based then? I am pleased that you have found the guide useful, its always great to get feedback on the guide...Don't forget a trigger if you haven't already got one as for light trails they are worth there weight in gold, but thankfully considering this hobby don't cost a lot at all mine is a simple £15.00 one and it works a treat, it doesn't have the fancy features of a £90 Canon branded trigger, but you really don't need them for this type of photography.

Matt
MWHCVT

I live right next to where the M1 branches off and becomes the start of the M6, I am sure you will know where that is! :)
I will get a trigger before I venture out and have started looking out for the amount of traffic passing, to help decide the day/time thats best. If the trees were not there could take them from the top floor. Where did I put that axe? lol

revo martyn said:
I live right next to where the M1 branches off and becomes the start of the M6, I am sure you will know where that is! :)
I will get a trigger before I venture out and have started looking out for the amount of traffic passing, to help decide the day/time thats best. If the trees were not there could take them from the top floor. Where did I put that axe? lol

I am sure I know your location down to 3 villages my suggestion for a location would be the shawell road bridge you have two directions to shoot from but south bound would be my recommendation you have this disadvantage of street lights on the motorway but good interest in the junction

I might even go and give the location a try out at the weekend if I have time, I am between Rugby and Coventry

Hi Guys, Great Thread - Can somene tell me which of my lenses will be the best for this with my Canon EOS 600D

1. Canon 50mm II f/1.8
2. Canon EF-S 18-55mm II f/3.5-5.6
3. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6

BluHawk said:
Thanks for all the info. I have your google maps locations saved on my iPad for when I am travelling about! I have been looking for something like this for a while now!

Here are a few of my examples from London
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesasmoran/with/5679348564/

Enjoy!

Hi, thanks for the feedback, I have had a quick glance at your photos but will have a better look later, some good looking trails that you have there

Navz said:
Hi Guys, Great Thread - Can somene tell me which of my lenses will be the best for this with my Canon EOS 600D

1. Canon 50mm II f/1.8
2. Canon EF-S 18-55mm II f/3.5-5.6
3. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6

As Morogp has said your 18-55 is going to be your primary lens for light trails however I have been know to use my 70-300 on the odd occasion and example would be some of my EMA light trails so done feel limited to only short zooms

Motogp said:
Edit just read the thread title , for light trails the 18-55 is the one I use.

Hi MWHCVT. great write up very helpful :) and some really really nice shots!

this is my second attempt at light trials i really love doing these they are my favourite type of photography. (what section would they come under tho)

1. over the M32 Bristol
1.jpg

2. The same bridge over the M32 Bristol
2.jpg

3.shot of Portway road in Bristol (one under Clifton Suspension Bridge)
3.jpg

what do you think :)

Hi Liam, I'm pleased that you like the guide and find it useful, also thanks for your comments on my own photo's you will find an extensive collection on my flickr (y)

Down to the photo's that you have posted:

#1 Shows a lot of potential for a light trails location, there is a wonderful backdrop to the trails from the town, firstly there is some movement in the image, when the camera has moved once the exposure has started, I noticed that it was a 30 second trail, do you have a remote trigger for your camera if not if trails are a passion all I can say is get one, they only cost a few pounds add will be the best value item you will ever by for your photography, alternatively you can set a delay on your camera so that the shutter opens a couple of seconds after you have pressed the button, this will allow any small vibrations caused by you pressing the shutter button to stop before the exposure starts, another thing about the photo is that it needs about 5 degree's CCW rotation as the image is leaning severely to the right. This is something that you need to sort out as it will get picked up very quickly in any photo posted on here no matter the genre as it should as it take seconds to correct in PP.

#2. Settings look okay and I cannot see any shake in this one which is good (y) but again there is a need for quite a bit of CCW rotation as I sure that your local council normally erect street lights nice and upright :LOL: ;) Sorry to say though that from a compositional viewpoint it isn't very interesting, as a technical exercise its not bad though

#3 An interesting vantage point, I think a tighter crop would help the composition of this image, also shooting when there is more light to get some detail in the surrounding area as apposed to the blackness that it shown in this image, the hour after sunset is the optimum time for light trails, and is often referred to as the golden hour. I would also say that on this one a use of Tungsten white balance would have been a good idea as the colour/white balance looks completely off.

I hope that this critique and advise proves useful and helps you..this is an example of a trail shot at the golden hour, this was shot approx 30 minutes after sunset, and I was lucky enough to get a blue light's trail into the frame as well :D

M6 LIGHT TRAIL EDIT by mwhcvt, on Flickr

In regards to which section to post photos in it's a little hard to say but they will be okay in general photo sharing, transport or landscape it's really up to you..

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
Hi Matt thank you for your reply. I will have a look at your collection on Flickr I imagine they will inspire me :).

thank you for you advise it is helpful, Is the shake in those lights at the top of the road? thats all I can see :( I really need laser eye surgery lol. funny you should say about the cable release as I was looking at these on eBay last night as id like to try some star trials.
I most confess I don't know what CCW rotation and PP are? lol I think the learn in the photos would of been the tripod as I was using the in-laws which is a cheap on and I could get the tilt straight, looking through the viewfinder that night I thought I had it but clearly not lol.
with number 3, by the time id got to this location id missed the golden hour, so will have to try again at some point. although i kind of like the shot with it being dark I like the way the lights falls onto the river :)

once again you photo is very good the emergency vehicle is brilliant! did you use any filters for that sky?

oh and how the hell did you tell I used a 30 sec exp I noticed you said this to other people in this thread, very clever are you a wizard lol :)

Hi Matt thank you for your reply. I will have a look at your collection on Flickr I imagine they will inspire me :).

thank you for you advise it is helpful, Is the shake in those lights at the top of the road? thats all I can see :( I really need laser eye surgery lol. funny you should say about the cable release as I was looking at these on eBay last night as id like to try some star trials.
I most confess I don't know what CCW rotation and PP are? lol I think the learn in the photos would of been the tripod as I was using the in-laws which is a cheap on and I could get the tilt straight, looking through the viewfinder that night I thought I had it but clearly not lol.
with number 3, by the time id got to this location id missed the golden hour, so will have to try again at some point. although i kind of like the shot with it being dark I like the way the lights falls onto the river :)

once again you photo is very good the emergency vehicle is brilliant! did you use any filters for that sky?

oh and how the hell did you tell I used a 30 sec exp I noticed you said this to other people in this thread, very clever are you a wizard lol :)

Hi Liam, firstly sorry for using the acronyms I just get used to them :D

CW Rotation is Clockwise Rotation
CCW Rotation is Counter-Clockwise Rotation and
PP is Post Production (Editing)

On my photo there would have been an ND8 Graduated Filter covering the sky

I regards to the exposure time I looked at the properties of the image to view the exif info this records the settings used for the photo (y)

If you look at all the lights of the town you can see a trail coming from the main light source this is the movement I am referring to, you can also see some deviations in the actual trails also.

Matt
MWHCVT

Hey Matt no problem :)thanks for explaining that. do i have to use photoshop to change direction in degrees? i have elements 9 will that be ok.

ok i need to get myself some filters, its all going on my xmas list ;)

now you say i see them. I will look at getting a Remote release this week to sure cure this :)
had another go tonight
DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

again no editing just straight form the camera :)

Really great effort's all three, they all have a little bit of an issue with being level, and as I said previously this is really important, being level is a fundamental aspect of photography across all genre's but as with land/seascapes it is of particular importance in this style of photography, there are occasions when non level can be done deliberately to provide an effect but it needs to be clear that this is what you were aiming for composition-ally

#1 Suffers from the ever lasting issue that plagues any light trail on illuminated sections of road, the lights counter the tail lights and wash out the red trails, if you darken the image in PP this may help to draw them out a little, personally I always try and avoid street lights on this type of trail.

#2 Just doesn't work for me, I think that this location could be better served from the other side of the road, as it may make the trails a little bit more interesting.

#3 Very good, a great sky and nice location with a lot of interest.

Matt

Hi thanks :) yeah I see the slight learn, its the tripod I was using be getting a new one real soon and have my eye on the manfrotto 222 grip head.

Yeah I saw that the lights on the motorway were getting washed out :(

I thought that number two would of been better than it was when I took this there was not much traffic, while id been shooting down on the motorway there was lots behind me, sods law I guess. I had also been there for a while so didn't want to wait any more lol

thanks :) I like number three the best, bet as this is the second bridge now its not as busy, shame.

Quickshooter said:
Hi thanks :) yeah I see the slight learn, its the tripod I was using be getting a new one real soon and have my eye on the manfrotto 222 grip head.

It's great that you are getting a better tripod (y) but I would still suggest that you look at levelling the photo's you have already taken, it is very easy to do in editing, when I first started out in the photography game what I knew about editing would fit on a fag packet but I made it my goal to learn about editing as much as I did about leaning photography as a editing can take a good photo to a stunning photo :)

Matt

Last edited:
I tried to rotate a photo by 5 degrees and it looks weird and also there is an orange background now where it was originally, if you get me?
this editing lark is hard work lol.

also I still cant find out what settings I used, I right clicked on the pic and went to properties but it just said stuff like: type of file, opens with, location, size, size on disk, created, modified, and accessed.

sorry im so pants at all this stuff lol. Im grateful for you advice and patience!! :)

Quickshooter said:
I tried to rotate a photo by 5 degrees and it looks weird and also there is an orange background now where it was originally, if you get me?
this editing lark is hard work lol.

also I still cant find out what settings I used, I right clicked on the pic and went to properties but it just said stuff like: type of file, opens with, location, size, size on disk, created, modified, and accessed.

sorry im so pants at all this stuff lol. Im grateful for you advice and patience!! :)

Really sorry I didn't respond quicker when you rotate depending on software you may need to then crop the image (y)

Really sorry I didn't respond quicker when you rotate depending on software you may need to then crop the image (y)

No Problem :). ah ok I will give it ago thank you!
I now have my Remote release so just waiting on a tripod now :)

Quickshooter said:
No Problem :). ah ok I will give it ago thank you!
I now have my Remote release so just waiting on a tripod now :)

Great, a remote will really help things out a lot as you will now be able to do +30 second exposures without any issues (y) feel free to post here at any time for help with light trails (y)

It's not long until the best time of year for trails as I find it's best when the sunsets are closer to rush hour :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Back