Photography show @ NEC

Can't complain! Just signed up aswell, although the baby is due on the 2nd March so hopefully the Mrs will allow......

This will just be like focus probably. Middle aged men carrying their status symbols camera around and obsessing over gear. There'll be the usual pack of halitosis breathing old men queuing up to objectify shoot the scantily clad girls on the lighting stands, and the same old manufacturers who never seem to want to haggle over prices... so you may as well just order online.

Can you tell I got a bit bored with Focus... does it show?

If you liked the gear side of photography then it was great, but possibly less so if you were into the art side.

Great, already packed my 2x 1D bodies 600mm and 400mm f2.8, can't wait.

On a serious note, good news there is a replacement for Focus, my girlfriend only asked me earlier this evening.

What Herbert would order a camera online??? You need to see it hold it . Cameras are getting too bloody small now. Pick one of those up you need Baby size hands....
Cameras are a touchy feely item

Go to a store... have a look.. say thank you.. walk away... order online. (shrug) It's what I do.

I've never been to Focus, but I've put my name down for press access to this one. Dunno if I'll go, seems a bit pointless.

What Herbert would order a camera online??? You need to see it hold it . Cameras are getting too bloody small now. Pick one of those up you need Baby size hands....
Cameras are a touchy feely item

They're releasing small cameras? WHERE! Point me in their direction, I'd kill for one! Are they smaller if you order them on the internet? I do hope so.

(Not everyone is a 6ft+ lumberjack...)

They're releasing small cameras? WHERE! Point me in their direction, I'd kill for one! Are they smaller if you order them on the internet? I do hope so.

(Not everyone is a 6ft+ lumberjack...)

You have a point. ;)

I've just come back to more serious photography. My previous cameras were a Bronica ETR and a Minolta 7000, and trying out some new entry level cameras I was a little surprised at how small and cramped some of them felt - the Nikon D3200 especially (really liked the Pentax K50 - not cramped at all). I suspect a part of the issue is that there's a lot more buttons & controls covering modern camera bodies, and for those of us with slightly larger fingers, simply holding some cameras without accidentally changing settings can be a bit of a challenge. :(

If this is anything like focus, if you have an interest in trying stuff hands-on, talking about new developments or maybe going to a workshop (if they run some) then it will be good. From memory, there used to be the various firms selling mounts/presentation materials, lighting gear and all the rest of that paraphernalia too. If you don't care about kit particularly and are entirely self contained in how you work then it may not be so useful.

You have a point. ;)

I've just come back to more serious photography. My previous cameras were a Bronica ETR and a Minolta 7000, and trying out some new entry level cameras I was a little surprised at how small and cramped some of them felt - the Nikon D3200 especially (really liked the Pentax K50 - not cramped at all). I suspect a part of the issue is that there's a lot more buttons & controls covering modern camera bodies, and for those of us with slightly larger fingers, simply holding some cameras without accidentally changing settings can be a bit of a challenge. :(

If this is anything like focus, if you have an interest in trying stuff hands-on, talking about new developments or maybe going to a workshop (if they run some) then it will be good. From memory, there used to be the various firms selling mounts/presentation materials, lighting gear and all the rest of that paraphernalia too. If you don't care about kit particularly and are entirely self contained in how you work then it may not be so useful.

I'm a writer... I'm just wondering if there is anything to write about that won't come in press releases...

It probably depends on who you're writing for and why. There's bound to be some amusing incidents, some visual contradictions, maybe even a story or 2 to tell from the right people? I had a quick look at a couple of the sites in your sig, and I'd have thought there'd be plenty of natural material there, if given a spin different from the typical press release. You've certainly got an eye to tell a story through images.

looks like it will be the Tuesday for me, better remember to book the time of work

Why does it have to be so close to our moving-house date and baby-due date?!?!?!?!?!?

It probably depends on who you're writing for and why. There's bound to be some amusing incidents, some visual contradictions, maybe even a story or 2 to tell from the right people? I had a quick look at a couple of the sites in your sig, and I'd have thought there'd be plenty of natural material there, if given a spin different from the typical press release. You've certainly got an eye to tell a story through images.

Yes, you're probably right. I'm a bit hesitant about going to places with large amounts of people like that. I can be a bit nervous to bundle in and get involved. But then again, might e a good time to get some promotional material made and try and land myself some more clients!

Will have to see what my university schedule is like. I think next term I have Monday's and Tuesday's off so might be able to make it...

I'll be going for a chin wag, can't be f***ed to carry a 1dx using it as a status symbol :) fingers crossed that the baby will be born on an amicable date to allow dad to go for a wonder......

I do go to the store..Calumet or T4 in Witney... I see, I hold i buy!! Can not be arsed waiting for stuff to arrive in the post and just to save £50 or £100 quid? Nah!!! I support the stores I like internet can whistle!!!!!

I CAN be arsed saving £10o... LOL. I can, and do support stores... local butchers over supermarkets etc.. but where £100 is concerned... sorry.. stores can go whistle so far as I'm concerned. Last item I ordered online was here less than 24 hours later. If I had to wait a week, I'd probably agree with you.

I CAN be arsed saving £10o... LOL. I can, and do support stores... local butchers over supermarkets etc.. but where £100 is concerned... sorry.. stores can go whistle so far as I'm concerned. Last item I ordered online was here less than 24 hours later. If I had to wait a week, I'd probably agree with you.

And that is one of the reasons there are fewer high street camera shops to help you out in a hurry, they have the overheads to offer kit to play with, only for you to deal with companies shifting boxes out of a warehouse with minimal overheads. Where will you go when they've all gone?

I understand the logic in your argument, however, I'm not paying £100 for the privilege of being able to walk out of a shop with my product. Few would... fewer COULD. Where would I go? I'd order online with my CC, then if I don't like it, I return it, which is my legal right within 14 days under the distance selling rules.

Last edited:
Maybe a little OT now, but I won't go to a shop to try something (cameras, cycle helmets, shoes: whatever) and then buy it somewhere else. I will negotiate to see if they'll price match another cheaper store, but, to me at least, it's not fair that they make the investment in kit for me to evaluate, only to reward someone else who did not invest for me with my custom.

I think we're going to be losing a lot of local stores for all kinds of goods in the next 10 years.

TBH I have found that if I get quotes online (particularly for trading in/part exchanging equipment) my local indi camera shop will match it. Even if they get close I will still use the shop. Calumet had some good offers on at FOI hopefully they will do the same at the NEC in March. I have found taking time to talk to some people on the stands can give you some useful insights, especially talking to companies that hire out equipment.

The downside of course is that you can come away with a longing for that £4.5k camera that you cannot afford and most cases don't need, but it still leaves that itch that needs scratching!

Really if you're keen on buying online it is fairer to the shops not to waste their time and effort and to do that in the first place.

Not if they're willing to negotiate price. If they do, I'll buy there and then.

So you're expecting the better service (being able to touch and feel, and take away same day) at the same price as poorer service (no ability to touch and feel, delivery takes longer etc)? Do you think that is sustainable for the retailer?

No... I'm asking them if they can match the price, nothing more, nothing less. If they are a high volume retailer like Calumet, they often can and will. If they're a small retailer, probably not. It's not MY fault the way we do business has changed. Why should I pay a premium to support an outmoded way of working? Plenty of retailers have adapted to a changing online market and retained a point of sale presence because they adapted and changed their business model in time. Other's didn't... they've probably hit the wall. Why should I pay more because they can't get their **** together? LOL

The thought of the little local camera store is a nice one... but it's no longer tenable or sustainable in today's market place. Retailers need to adapt, or die. Simple as that.

Why should I pay a premium to support an outmoded way of working?

Because by wanting to go and touch and feel the products prior to purchasing them it is obvious you desire this "outmoded way of working", otherwise you'd just buy online without going to play with the products. This "outmoded way of working" comes with a price premium. If you're not prepared to pay this premium you shouldn't expect the service.

You should perhaps re-read my post.

Plenty of retailers have adapted to a changing online market and retained a point of sale presence because they adapted and changed their business model in time.

I'm not saying having a point of sale presence is outmoded... I'm saying relying upon it solely is outmoded.

Because before long, the only electronics stores that will have a point of sale presence are those that also acknowledge that large volume online sales should be part of their business model. That's not because people like me don't "support" local stores either. Online resellers are an inevitable product of the internet. They;'d have happened whether we shop locally or not, and they, by their very nature will attract a wider area and number of customers. The minute the internet happened, the small electronics retailer was pretty much going to be having a hard time. Look at other sectors. Scan computers is is a good example. They started as a local computer store in Bolton... they quickly adapted to the online market, grew, prospered, and are still there... and still serve that local community with a great in-store personal presence. Richer Sounds... they adapted to a online service, and still retail a store presence around the country by downsizing and adapting when it was appropriate to do so.

Now lets look at Jessops. There were THREE stores just in my local area alone... all staffed to the hilt, and all price matching online prices. Unsustainable.

I'm not advocating the loss of stores... I'm suggesting that if stores exist, and can't operate competitively, then they have no place in that market. If I go in a store to look at a camera, and they are not prepared to match a price, I'll walk.

You may think otherwise... and I wish you all the success in the world as you **** into the wind. Adapt or die. If you don't get that, I'd advise not starting a bricks and mortar electronics retail business that has any online competition any time soon.

Last edited:
Twist my words all you want, but if the shop I was in could sell me the same product for a similar price, then I'd be walking out of that shop with the camera. There's be no reason not to.... unless you have some irrational hatred of shops. I credited people with more intelligence that you clearly are.

Last word on the matter

Back