Photography TV show.

Edit My Images
No
America in Pictures. BBC 4. 1st December.

I don't have a clue who rankin is. I act thought it was the scottish author. LOL

I know,but he wasnt to bad on the one he did in South Africa :D

Didn't see that one, BBC as well?

Aside from the fact he's irritating it seems odd to pick a fashion photographer to talk about photography which is likelt to predominantly be reportage. Might as well have a football player do a program about mountain climbing :/

Didn't see that one, BBC as well?

Aside from the fact he's irritating it seems odd to pick a fashion photographer to talk about photography which is likelt to predominantly be reportage. Might as well have a football player do a program about mountain climbing :/

Yep it was a bbc one,he said he did start out doing reportage,then turned to fashion.
If you get a chance to watch it,it is worth it just hear the photographer :)

Theres also a program on Channel 5 at the mo "How to take a perfect picture" or something similiar

That was really good. Rankin couldn't resist one recreation, but holy moly there were some amazing images. Just a shame that the current generation does't have things at that level.

If you liked this show, put "The Great Life Photographers" book on your christmas list. it's only £12, and profiles every Life staff photographer ever, with 4-5 of each of their best images. Absolutely fantastic book.

I thought Rankin did a really good job on this.

He's not a natural presenter, but he did pretty well for me. After watching it I was trying to think who would have been a better choice, and I couldn't think of anyone. It really had to be a photographer that presented the programme for it to work (rather than a professional presenter).

A very interesting programme.

Apart from some excellent photos taken with equipment which, in some cases, quite a few of us would struggle to produce a half way decent shot, I thought the photographers comments were very good.

Dave

I actually really enjoyed this. For anyone that isn't aware, Rankin's foundations are in Dazed and Confused magazine, that kicked off way before his own photography did.

It's nice to have a presenter that knows what they're talking about and really understands the subject :)

Good watching

I agree Rankin was a good choice. He let the photographer do the talking rather than let his own ego get in the way (which is rarely the case with 'real' presenters)

It was a good show, although it could probably have done without the recreation of the V-J Day picture which was a bit of a cliche. Rankin and his lighting lackeys made him seem a bit pretentious at the cowboy church, but it was an interesting look into some of these iconic photos and photographers.

He's not a natural presenter, but he did pretty well for me. After watching it I was trying to think who would have been a better choice, and I couldn't think of anyone. It really had to be a photographer that presented the programme for it to work (rather than a professional presenter).

Yep. His obvious enthusiasm and passion for the subject of the show helped overcome any limitations he might have had being on the other side of the camera (though he got plenty enough opportunities to be behind one too :))

Last edited:
Mrs M visibly winced when I mentioned the value of what he was holding in his hands at Times Square. :)

I don't have any issues with him at all, I think he's okay.

To be fair too he did a good job on this. As has been said, it has to be a photographer doing a show like that, it's pointless having a brilliant presenter if he knows nothing about what he's talking about.

Daz.

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, some iconic imagery, and featured one of my all time great photographers W. Eugene Smith.

I thought Rankin did a ok job of presenting, the interviewees were so strong, they just carried him along anyway.

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, some iconic imagery, and featured one of my all time great photographers W. Eugene Smith.

I thought Rankin did a ok job of presenting, the interviewees were so strong, they just carried him along anyway.

Another +1 here,a very good program.

And W.Eugene Smith one of the all time greats :)

Have recorded this on Sky+ and need to watch it. Glad to hear positive feedback about it.

Back