Photography with one hand - help and ideas welcomed

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
A week on Saturday we go on hloiday up to the cottage we always go to at Loch Sunart (West Scotland).

As Karen likes to bury herself in her books I get a free pass for all the photography I can shake a stick at and being right on the shoreline I'm out all the time.

1688895122_7169030893.jpg

Anyway 2 weeks ago I did my arm in and after a day or so in hospital I was set free with the diagnosis 'radial nerve palsey'. At the moment I don't have any feeling or use of my right hand (no jokes) and recovery is expected to take upwards of 12 months.

3922973722_2ac62b0c03.jpg

As this is going to be a long term thing I'm obviously thinking about what I can do to make life a little easier and that certainly includes photography.

Landscape photography is really my passion so providing I take my time I can still manage to get the tripod set up etc etc.

At the moment I use this head.........

1592743878_c0273218d5_o.jpg

.......but it is proving to be a fiddle and 40D hand held is impossible.

so for starters I was contemplating getting one of these although I want it set up left handed.........can this be done before I order as I would struggle to do it myself.

3900207496_3e5b3dd001.jpg

or one of these......

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~4368~categoryid~149.html

Strange request I know but first up I was wondering if anybody had any views on which was best and secondly I just wanted to ask if anybody had any other bright ideas that would make life a little easier ?

PS

I also wondered about a cable release but wasn't sure which one.

The Grip head is okay for lite lenses but anything too heavy and it is not that good :)

Sorry to hear about your arm!

Good luck :)

The Grip head is okay for lite lenses but anything too heavy and it is not that good :)

Sorry to hear about your arm!

Good luck :)

Cheers - do you mean both the grips shown ?

PS

I've no big lenses just now - mainly using Canon 17-85, Sigma 10-20 for landscapes anyway.

I have that Manfroto Head and have altered it to work left handed, you would need to remove the conector plate and put it on the other side, if I remember correctly there was a couple of rubber gromits in the screw holes. Hope that helps.

Edit: Ment the side grip one, also have used this with both a 24-70L and 100-400L with no problems, both on a 40d.

good morning, I hope you make a steady recovery! I have a:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2319?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2

which I find great, the grip can be adjusted to different tensions and when in position is very sturdy. I think it would be more heavy duty than the 222 and also as you have more leverage it may be easier to adjust one handed. It ahs the same spirit bubble as the 222 so you can level the camera easily.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on!! :)

good morning, I hope you make a steady recovery! I have a:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2319?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2

which I find great, the grip can be adjusted to different tensions and when in position is very sturdy. I think it would be more heavy duty than the 222 and also as you have more leverage it may be easier to adjust one handed. It ahs the same spirit bubble as the 222 so you can level the camera easily.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on!! :)

Thanks for that. I looked at the link and I spotted this text.....

designed for use with the 322RS electronic or 322RSM manual shutter release cables and mounts; the first accessories to let you control head positioning and shutter release at the same time, with the same hand, without needing to let go of the head grip.

That might be handy (excuse the pun)

322 grip goes left, right or vertical (like the 222). You can also fit it with a remote thumb operated shutter release button (y)

322 grip goes left, right or vertical (like the 222). You can also fit it with a remote thumb operated shutter release button (y)

The button would be a massive help.

Do you have a link that shows me how it works ?

Hello Phil, do sympathise as I too have an arm injury and why don't they make a left-handed DSLR?

As said above, the 322RC2 can be set up for left-handed use, but guess you will need to find a friendly supplier who will convert it for you as it is a little fiddly.

I have been looking at buying the Cullman Chestpod:

http://www.eos-magazine.com/EOS%20Collection/Sales/Tripods%20and%20Supports/cullmanchestpod.html

It has its own ball and socket head, so can be used in both portrait and landscape mode, but may be fiddly to operate one handed - (you may also need to adjust the centre column length) - but might be an alternative to carrying a tripod and camera as the 2 strings either side support the camera leaving your hand free. You could in theory add the 322RC2 to the unit?

The only downsides I can perceive is that other people may think it could look odd and you will have to get used to holding your breath when taking a shot as the bottom assembly rests against the chest..................

But this in conjunction with a cable release could be an option for you.

Regards

Roy

ps the remote shutter button for the 322RC2 is very expensive ~£170

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~ProductID~5214.html

The button would be a massive help.

Do you have a link that shows me how it works ?

Google 322RS. Should be something.

Edit: it costs £45.

What about a flash bracket with a remote shutter button attached? just a thought.
Hope your on the mend soon mate.

Thanks folks.

I might look into a cable of some sort - the 322RS looks a bit expensive.

I have the pistol grip head and i have rotated it to be used left handed. It takes two allen key screws to sort that out. As said the most you will probably get away with is 70-200 + body & grip. You can also set the friction on the head for twist of the grip, unfortunatley there is not friction adjustment for the actual ball head but it grips nicely and release well. just be carefull with heavier lenses and it release with not much effort at all.

I've 'asked a question' to a few of the camera shops on ebay to see if any of them would be prepared to configure the grip to left handed for me 'before' they sell.....................

I've 'asked a question' to a few of the camera shops on ebay to see if any of them would be prepared to configure the grip to left handed for me 'before' they sell.....................

How long are you going to be out of action for?

I've got a Manfrotto 322RC2 (without the release button) well two actually. You can borrow one if you like - I'll even configure it for left-handed use!

Drop me a PM if you're interested :)

I've got a Manfrotto 322RC2 (without the release button) well two actually. You can borrow one if you like - I'll even configure it for left-handed use!

I'm not sure how long the recovery will be. It could be upwards of 12 months till it's back to 100% but short term I would really like to be able to get some nice shots whilst I'm on holiday. That would really good so I will PM you (y)

dohhh
left hander...

pistol grip springs to mind with a remote release...what else

do you remember the zenith sniper...

3363177738_ee9256f189.jpg

Many many thanks for all the suggestions - especially to HoppyUK for sending me the Manfrotto 322RC2 grip and for taking the time to convert it to left handed first !

I've just had a quick test and it's going to make life so much easier. (y)

I've just got one of these heads too and it's nice bit of kit.

Big well done to Hoppy! Don't you just love this place! :) Nice one :) :) :)

Hoppyuk your a star a real gent(y)(y)(y):clap::clap:

Thank you chaps :)

Back