Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
resist resist resist! cracking pictures, i just didnt want to look at them for too long incase i start lusting for one :D

:thinking: ... Interesting you quote just 90%... :shrug: ... where does that come from and why wouldn't it be much higher than that... :cautious:

It was a figure of speech, and not meant to be taken literally :LOL:

[joke]
And would I expect it to be higher or lower than 90%.....
Well that is a really good question... well I would say it's probably 106.49% compared to a Oly 420, but more like 48.64% compared to a Nikon D3x.
[/joke]

Thanks all - currently in dartmouth on day two of my test. Just been sneaking around an abodoned warehouse. Post later on. The dude with the pink hair is snapper73 - aka scott, one of my oldest friends....he is 108...!!!!

Good :)

My finger is still 'hovering' over the order button on one of these as i LOVE my little lx3, but sometimes wish for a little less DOF / more control over DOF so this looks like the ideal thing :)

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Been searching around for more information on this little gem.

I was also wondering what you guys thought of picking up the kit lens [14-45mm], the 45-200mm and the 17mm f2.8 instead of the 20mm?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few here -

4079314718_a67af445b9.jpg

4078538771_1cd88c803c.jpg

4078415215_fb754fb03d.jpg

4079147352_f53b70091a.jpg

4079103624_38842e51fe.jpg

4078340983_8ab8c79ec0.jpg

Love it.

Further thoughts and pictures here -

http://petetileytitanimages.blogspot.com/2009/11/delightful-devonkeep-off-rocks.html

Thanks,

D/P.

What sort of battery life are you guys getting on these? Without the evf, bit worried about the LCD being on all the time the battery life would be crap. Has anyone tried the cheaper eBay batteries? Or is there still a firmware lock preventing he use of them?

What sort of battery life are you guys getting on these? Without the evf, bit worried about the LCD being on all the time the battery life would be crap. Has anyone tried the cheaper eBay batteries? Or is there still a firmware lock preventing he use of them?

400 on the whole. Panasonic use battery encryption, but I think/suspect that third party batteries are out/on the way....

Very nice, looks like a great street photography tool. Bet you'd get a lot less unwanted attention that I did with a D200 and grip :LOL:

These do look very good Pete.

I keep think that they look exactly like they came from a dSLR, which I guess is because it has a dSLR sensor and lens quality.

Very nice, looks like a great street photography tool. Bet you'd get a lot less unwanted attention that I did with a D200 and grip :LOL:

The great thing is you can have it switched on and cupped in your hand by your side and no-one notices. It'll be interesting to see what difference the evf makes, both to the shootting experience and to battery life.

Add me to the list of GF1 owners. I've posted some thoughts about it vs the E-P1 (which I had before) on my blog:

I yield to no-one in my love for my Nikons. The D3 and D700 bodies are just about perfect for a wedding and documentary photographer. Fast, reliable, they just perform all the time.

But they're big and heavy and sometimes I don't want to be carrying about that much kit. At the same time I generally want to have a camera with me. I tried the Olympus E-P1 - lovely camera but hobbled by glacial AF and a slow kit lens. Olympus offer a 17mm pancake but it's an f2.8 which isn't great for what I shoot.I sold that on and eventually settled on the E-P1's sister micro-4/3's camera, the Panasonic GF1, and a far faster small prime, the 20mm f1.7.

The two areas that I felt the E-P1 struggled with, AF and slow lenses, are countered with ease by the GF1 (along with it having a far better LCD for framing). It looks more functional, but that's by the by really (the E-P1 really is a pretty camera to my eyes). You give up in-body image-stablization with the GF1 and for many that's rightly a serious win for the Olympus body. It's not a huge issue for me though as that f1.7 lens gives me more options in low-light. ISO performance is obviously nowhere near the D3/D700 level (but then what is, aside from the new Nikon D3s and Canon 1D Mk IV). That said I'd expect the GF1 to be usable to ISO800 for colour work and ISO1600 for mono. That's better than my first Nikon D70 DSLR which puts it into perspective.Oh and it records 720P/30fps HD video as well :D .

So, as a camera for having with you, with fast AF, great build, a wonderful fast prime lens and a feeling of real thought having gone into it, the GF1 looks hard to beat. It certainly looks like it gives little up to the new £1400 Leica X1 and is aimed squarely at the same market.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2715/4080249818_8108ef27d6_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2574/4079489911_b5695effac_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2497/4079489967_0a8efdc235_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2622/4079489999_e823d4e6c6_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2531/4080250058_664ff37cc1_o.jpg

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just agreed the sale of my current kit in order to purchase one and I can't wait. The pictures look excellent but most of all it's small enough for me to carry everywhere I go - which means more time taking pictures..

I've decided to go with:

GF1 Body [black]
20mm F1.7
14-45mm Panasonic
45-200mm Panasonic

Eventually will need a wide-angle and a macro but these should get me started ;-)

Mines ordered and will be collected in the morning :D

My local shop wanted £769 for the 20mm kit :eek:

I asked if that was his best price and he said he does not match internet stores. I tried to explain that it was a bricks and mortar store i wanted him to match and even offered to give him the phone number to confirm prioce and availability, but he just point blank refused to budge.

So even though i want to buy local, i'm going a little further afield and saving £120 (y)

Does anyone have a good comparison of prices? Best I've found was Warehouse Express:

7-14MM PANASONIC 899.00
14-45MM PANASONIC 229.00
45-200MM PANASONIC 249.00
20MM PANASONIC 299.00
45MM PANASONIC 589.00

GF1 Body + 20mm Kit 730.00
GF1 Body + 14-45mm Kit 589.00

I got my EVF from Mathers of Lancashire - best price, and their price of other u4/3 kit seems very competitive. Excellent service, and bricks and mortar store.

Prices here.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good comparison of prices? Best I've found was Warehouse Express:

7-14MM PANASONIC 899.00
14-45MM PANASONIC 229.00
20MM PANASONIC 299.00
45MM PANASONIC 589.00

hmmm
if 20mm and 14-45mm cost same why there is such a huge price difference when bought with a body ??

I'm really tempted by a GF1 instead of blowing insane amounts on a Leica, but do you think the lens line-up will grow? More good primes would be lovely.

That will save a few quid, thanks guys..

For those of you already sporting the GF1 what camera bags do you use? Ideally I'd have two, one for carrying everywhere with 20mm attached and a further bag for when I want to travel with all the lenses (4 to 5).

That will save a few quid, thanks guys..

For those of you already sporting the GF1 what camera bags do you use? Ideally I'd have two, one for carrying everywhere with 20mm attached and a further bag for when I want to travel with all the lenses (4 to 5).

Billingham Hadley Digital and Hadley Pro respectively.

7-14MM PANASONIC 899.00
14-45MM PANASONIC 229.00
20MM PANASONIC 299.00
45MM PANASONIC 589.00

http://www.kingsleyphoto.co.uk/prod.php?prod=984 might be of use, kingsley might have me popping in to pick one up for christmas.

Pete

Thanks for the write up. I feel exactly the same about mine and am now taking more photos than i have done in years. Is it as good as my D300 (soon to be sold)? Probably not. But it is with me most of the time now and surely that's what counts.
Now all i want is a fast short portrait lens:)

Here are a few taken on a recent trip to NYC -

4047724357_c739a99319.jpg

4048498804_be79300c11.jpg

4048524158_cb8927d5a7.jpg

Hi-res available here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30578910@N07/sets/72157622546157531/

Cheers,

Peter.

soooo tempted by this camera, either to accompany my D90 or replace it. I love the idea of having a small compact that could live in my coat pocket and be with me all the time for whenever an opportunity arrives. Also, as 90% of my current shooting is on a Nikon 35mm f2 I think the 20mm kit lens would suit me down to the ground. It's that extra 10% that worries me a bit and whether I could live without it.

As for lenses, does having a range of lenses for one of these negate it's purpose? I would imagine the general idea behind these is a small lightweight outfit that you can stick in your pocket. If your carrying a range of lenses what does the small extra weight of a better slr body (ie. D90, 50D) add? Do the people who already own this intend on buying additional lenses for it?

As for lenses, does having a range of lenses for one of these negate it's purpose?

Yes. Treat it as a Leica user would their rangefinder. Take a pair of lenses and use those. Anymoer and you're as well carrying a small DSLR with an 18-200mm super zoom IMVHO.

Wow...
I had no interest in this camera prior to reading this thread...

Now all I can think about is how much I could get for my kit if I were to sell it all up and replace with a GF1 and a 20mm.

God damn!

Just gear lust but the pictures I've seen are simply stunning, and the 20mm paired with the size of the body is ludicrous. It's tiny!
I hate walking around sometimes with my 40d and 24-60 because it's massive.

But I love using a camera in that way and I know I'd miss having it.

my feelings exactly... I keep wondering if I sold up would I want a 'proper' DSLR back within a month or so.

Peter: I meant to comment on those photos when you first posted them/when I saw them.

They're amazing, thanks for posting them - I love the first with the train. :)

Cheers.

GF-1 £659 delivered with the 20mm from Photo Express in Ulverston (y)

If anyone is looking for an EVF drop me a pm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back