Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you should have gone for the 17mm with the Oly then?

Maybe....but the f2.8 doesn't really cut it for a prime, especially at a premium over the zoom. But the Panasonic f1.7 is more that you'd want from a prime, particularly as the 2x crop is already limiting your subject isolation.

I'd also heard that the AF wasn't really any better on the 17mm. By all accounts it seems Panny fixed all of the faults of the E-P1 on the GF-1, the only downside being no IS, which to be fair, was very effective on the E-P1.

A lot of people are using MF lenses, such as the Voightlander Nokton 40 f1.4 and love the combination with the in-body IS :)

E-P1 just didn't suit me, took some great pics, kit lens was amazingly sharp.....but sometimes man and machine just aren't a great match! It has got me using film a lot more with my Trip and Nikon EM, which are both similarly compact. Now if someone can fit a full frame digital sensor in a trip-sized body........:)

Last edited:
Is this GF1 and the EP1 the first of a new breed? Are we likely to see more cameras like this... cheaper alternatives perhaps?

The next one the beginning of next year is the EP2, and that's considerably more expensive...

The next one the beginning of next year is the EP2, and that's considerably more expensive...

and by all accounts is still lacking in the area of autofocus and electronic viewfinder [it has one but it's massive].

Is this GF1 and the EP1 the first of a new breed? Are we likely to see more cameras like this... cheaper alternatives perhaps?

First of a new breed for sure IMHO. I think we will see many more of this type of camera - the design has fundamental advantages in all sorts of ways.

Canon, Nikon and Sony will wade in when they start losing significant sales to Panasonic and Olympus (Samsung coming soon). They surely have prototypes in the wings now - there's nothing here that they cannot do at least as well by adapting current technology.

Next thing is the mechanical shutter will give way to sensor switching and we'll have a solid state still/video camera of exceptional performance.

It should also be much cheaper to manufacture, and software will be used to improve lens performance. Whether or not this will translate into cheaper cameras remains to be seen. There are certainly big R&D costs to recover so short term probably not. Long term, if it really catches on then they should be cheaper but somehow I don't think they will be for several years yet.

Well I ordered my GF1 from Mathers and a Novoflex adaptor from Speedgrpahic this morning. All being well I'll get them tomorrow, but either way in plenty time to get to know the camera and lenses before my trip to the Staes in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I think the GF1 is going to be a good choice for me aswell.

Its awkward lugging a D70 around, but i really want a nikkor 24-70mm. This is around 1k second hand, meaning for that I could get a GF1 and 35mm lens.

I can't see a GF1 replacing a DSLR for me. I want something to compliment my Nikon system and the GF1 is that. Everyone is different though, and it could be the right system for you, just bear in mind the pros and cons and don't get swept along by the hype, every DSLR/MFT camera you can buy is capable of stunning results.

So we've got NAS(Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) and ive just got over that by selling up, am i now going to get MAS(Micro 4/3's Acquisition syndrome)?

Hopefully can order my GF1 later today or tomorrow. Give me a few days to used to it before going to a wedding on Saturday and my daughters party on sunday.

Might be usefull setting up a MFT hints tips thread up, as more and more people seem to be aquiring them??

I can't see a GF1 replacing a DSLR for me. I want something to compliment my Nikon system and the GF1 is that. Everyone is different though, and it could be the right system for you, just bear in mind the pros and cons and don't get swept along by the hype, every DSLR/MFT camera you can buy is capable of stunning results.

This is a good point, I really like the concept of MFT and will be getting the GF1 either this week or next (but this depends on what Ricoh come up with). But I would only use it as a backup to my D700, more likely for when I go travelling rather than a full replacement.

This is a good point, I really like the concept of MFT and will be getting the GF1 either this week or next (but this depends on what Ricoh come up with). But I would only use it as a backup to my D700, more likely for when I go travelling rather than a full replacement.

4/3rds is not essential to this style of camera. The basic concept is centred around the removal of the reflex viewing system that inhibits conventional DSLRs and lenses, replaced with LCD viewing or an electronic viewfinder.

It could just as easily have a full frame sensor inside and the camera need not be any bigger, but the lenses would need to be much bigger. My guess is that when Canon/Nikon have a go with one of these, it will use their regular crop format sensor and EF-S/DX lenses.

When they have got an electronic viewfinder closer to what an optical viewfinder can do, and the AF speed up to the DSLR's phase detect systems (which can't be too long) I think DSLR users will come knockin in droves ;)

When You think that these are the first examples of a new genus of camera, they are already amazingly good.

Within two years we will be seeing third generation cameras of this type, and I suspect from all major makes.

If Canon and Nikon do not follow the 4/3 standard much of the advantage of standardization will be lost. which will be a pity. but they have never followed anyone before, so they probably will not now.

If leica and Sony were to join in, it would probably establish the Format in the long term.

So, they are not compacts nor DSLR, TLR, or any existing (?) logical group... :shrug: ... what then is this new breed going to be called... :cautious:

DILDO ... :naughty:

08.gif

If leica and Sony were to join in, it would probably establish the Format in the long term.

I doubt that Leica will. They've been down that road in 35mm days and suffered as a result. No, they'll protect the M9 by not releasing a smalled body with an M mount while the launch of the APS-C format X1 is their attempt to eat into this market space.

The only way I see Leica releasing an MFT style body is if they see M9 sales suffering enough by people buying 'poor man's' Leica bodies and sticking an M mount adaptor on to use Leica lenses.

Well I did it ... I'm now a member of the GF1 club!

4090118954_d62dfbc31d_o.jpg

Ended up with:

GF1 Body [Black]
Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake lens + 46mm Hoya UV Filter
Panasonic 45-200mm Superzoom [on order] + 52mm Hoya UV Filter
Panasonic EFV
Lowepro Nova 160 AW

I told the guy I'd seen their prices on TP and he asked me to show him the thread. He remembered Chillimonster - apparently they have been posted on DPReview too so they are likely seeing some business from this. He said this is one of the fastest selling cameras they's had in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be usefull setting up a MFT hints tips thread up, as more and more people seem to be aquiring them??

Or even a forum section for 4/3 cameras?????

So, they are not compacts nor DSLR, TLR, or any existing (?) logical group... :shrug: ... what then is this new breed going to be called... :cautious:

DILDO ... :naughty:

08.gif

Why isn't that word blocked by the sweary filter, yet you can't write **** Turpin, the highwayman's name? :cautious: :LOL:

I'm shocked you can't write ****, Turpin or otherwise.

Still, Dildo Turpin has something of a ring to it I guess. A story that needs telling? Probably not! :LOL:

Congrats on the new boxes GW.

Well I did it ... I'm now a member of the GF1 club!

4090118954_d62dfbc31d_o.jpg

Ended up with:

GF1 Body [Black]
Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake lens + 46mm Hoya UV Filter
Panasonic 45-200mm Superzoom [on order] + 52mm Hoya UV Filter
Panasonic EFV
Lowepro Nova 160 AW

I told the guy I'd seen their prices on TP and he asked me to show him the thread. He remembered Chillimonster - apparently they have been posted on DPReview too so they are likely seeing some business from this. He said this is one of the fastest selling cameras they's had in years.

Ahhh, so it was you who went in and bought one. I was speaking with the manager earlier when i was organising the reserved 45-200 i ordered on Saturday, and he mentioned that a TPF'er had been in for a GF1. Glad he remembered me :D

Did you get the handshake treatment too?

I was speaking with the manager earlier when i was organising the reserved 45-200 i ordered on Saturday

Ah, he said he'd got a delivery of 45-200's today. I was trying to get him to sell me one and re-order for the original buyer, lol

Did you get the handshake treatment too?

I tried to avoid the trip [3 hour round trip] by going to Jacobs first thing. They had the GF1 + 20mm for £799, I asked them to price match and they told me to get lost. Mathers worked out almost £280 cheaper on the day for the kit I bought.

Needless to say I won't be spending money at Jacobs in future.

Mathers were great, they seemed knowledgeable about the industry, they were friendly and best of all they have the best prices by a mile.

I will definitely be ordering any future kit from their website. Stores like this deserve to have our business.

Ah, he said he'd got a delivery of 45-200's today. I was trying to get him to sell me one and re-order for the original buyer, lol

:bat: :bat:

:LOL:

I will definitely be ordering any future kit from their website. Stores like this deserve to have our business.

My thoughts exactly, and hopefully the good experience we've had will be shared by many other from TPF in the future (y)

GF1 ordered from Mathers but they're out of stock so i won't get mine until next Tuesday. Still i'm saving £80 from purchasing it from Mathers as apposed to going to Warehouse Express. It's going to be a looooooong week! :D

GF1 ordered from Mathers but they're out of stock so i won't get mine until next Tuesday. Still i'm saving £80 from purchasing it from Mathers as apposed to going to Warehouse Express. It's going to be a looooooong week! :D

Mine just arrived this morning from them. The batteries on charge as I type. What's worse than waiting for the camera to arrvie is having to wait for the battery to charge before you can play with it! :D

Mine just arrived this morning from them. The batteries on charge as I type. What's worse than waiting for the camera to arrvie is having to wait for the battery to charge before you can play with it! :D

I hear ya brov!! most annoying :LOL::LOL:

Post up some test shots when it's charged!!!!!!

Have you seen the price of batteries for them? :annoyed:

Have you seen the price of batteries for them? :annoyed:

Yes I have. Looks like I'll be waiting a while before ordering a spare.

Before that though I've got to find a case. Has anyone found a case for the GF1 with 20mm attached? I don't want another bag, but something akin to the old ever-ready cases of days gone by would be nice, especially if it were brown leather like the ones Panasonic/Leica do for their compacts.

The offical Panasonic one looks a little drab for >£65

dmw-cgl1-k.jpg

I now have the updated Adobe Raw installed so I can view the RAW files within Photoshop. At first I was quite worried looking at them in SilkPix as the noise appeared to be quite bad. However once they have been processed the images look much better..

just reserved a GF1 with 20mm lens from Mathers to pick up tomorrow :clap:

But they mentioned there is a new promotion due in on Monday, GF1, 20mm + 14-45 for £789!!
Saving my pennies for the 14-140 though.

That's the deal i just got...... WOOOHOOOOO!!! :D

made just about enough from selling the D80 and all the bits to get the 14-140 as well, but will hang on for a while before getting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back