pics from my fights

duttytd said:
Yeah I am still yet to find a gym that can come close to utc.

I am fighting on the mma factor tournement then the week after I'm fight on testing ground 9 in Leeds.

My boys facing a similar issue. He's just moved to Basingstoke and he's got the choice between an old school MMA gym and a Gracie gym. I've advised Gracie, but I know he'd appreciate a fighters advice.

For stand up fighting go more for the old skool gym ie wrestling, muay Thai, boxing ect and go to a gracie gym if he wants to concerntrate on his ground game bjj (brazilian jiu jitzu) I train at utc in Birmingham for muay Thai, wrestling, boxing ect and then got to gracie bara in Birmingham to do bjj. If he can afford it i would defo sign up to them both as they both have there percs. If he does go to gracies then they will focus more on Gi stuff rather then no Gi but they will cover no Gi stuff too (Gi is the uniform they use, in mma u have just shorts and you can't grab your opponents shorts where as in Gi you can use your opponents Gi to your advantage (grab if and pin them down) so as I say I would send him to both if you can as them both together will help him become a great fighter.

Hope this has helped.

Tony.

Thanks Tony, he can only afford one, so I'll point him to MMA. He's got my old Gi , so they might help him there. Really appreciate you taking the time to help. Thanks

malo50 said:
Thanks Tony, he can only afford one, so I'll point him to MMA. He's got my old Gi , so they might help him there. Really appreciate you taking the time to help. Thanks

That's not a problem. They will teach him bjj at the old skool gym but it just won't be as good as the stuff that he would learn at gracie and also they won't grade him.

The old skool gym will teach him stuff that is more relevent for mma rather then traditional bjj.

If you or your son has any questions fell free to ask and Il help (if I can)

Tony.

Thanks Tony, I'll have a word with him tomorrow. It's more for him than me. I was a halfway decent boxer thirty years ago, but an unscheduled Sierra/Kawasaki interface left me with a broken neck, and now I'm a bit of a wannabe rather than a serious player.

malo50 said:
Thanks Tony, I'll have a word with him tomorrow. It's more for him than me. I was a halfway decent boxer thirty years ago, but an unscheduled Sierra/Kawasaki interface left me with a broken neck, and now I'm a bit of a wannabe rather than a serious player.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I have boxed for 13 years on and off but its just not brutal enough for me so mma is for me although I would go all out if I could (headbutt, bite) lol.

You sound like a cross between Tank Abott and Kimbo Slice..

duttytd said:
Brock is to weak on his back, although I wouldn't like to fight him lol

Fight him!!! I wouldn't like to walk around him!!!

It's weird isn't it. I've met a few fighters from different codes and they've all been really relaxed. They don't have to play Billy big spuds cos they know they can handle themselves. h
It's walk softly but carry a big stick kind of attitude,

Back