Pine Marten

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
I have just returned from a week in a remote cottage on the west of Scotland.
We had a visit from this Pine Marten most evenings. This was shot through some rather murky glass /plastic on the window. I did try a shot outside but the animal was very wild & was off at the first sound.
Pine_Marten_1.jpg

You did well seeing a whole one Charlie,all I saw was a heed...........:LOL:

You did well seeing a whole one Charlie,all I saw was a heed...........:LOL:

I did indeed. Usually when the light was going etc but never mind. That is not as big as one I saw some time ago & I think it may be a female.
I will probably post some more shots once I have checked them over.(y)

Good spot Charlie - have yet to see one.

Nice shot Charlie, never seen one in the wild and I think it looks a bit like a cross between a Fox/Cat with Badger paws.:)

Mick, they are like a big stoat,maybe slightly larger than a ferret,beautiful creatures.............(y)

Peanut butter Charlie, that's what you need, they love it!

Thanks for looking folks.
They are more widespread than folk think. I found a dead on on the road not far from Dundee a few years back & do get the odd report of sightings in Angus.

So do Badgers,honey as well..........(y)

This one enjoyed wholemeal bread & jam. Seems to be the standard "bait" for them in that part of the world.;)
I have never tried watching Badgers.:shrug:
They did cause me more than a few problems in my timber harvesting days though. I made sure they always won.(y)

Well spotted and caught Charlie(y)

Well spotted and caught Charlie(y)

Cheers. Pity about the "double glazing" though. They had painted the windows too so I could not open them.:shrug:
Might take a brick with me next time.:LOL:

Nice one Charlie,i`m back to Inverness soon,so i`m gonna get me a decent shot of one of these,if takes all week.......:D

I am so insanely jealous - I love pine martens and would love to be able to see one in the flesh nevermind catching it on film!

I am so insanely jealous - I love pine martens and would love to be able to see one in the flesh nevermind catching it on film!

Cheers. They are in Angus too you know. I found a road kill on the trunk road from Forfar to Dundee maybe 15 years ago. I think it is now in the natural history museum in Dundee. They stuffed it.
I suspect The forests up in the Glens will hold some, but the nearset I have seen a live on was in The forests of Loch Rannoch at Kilvrecht campsite when I watched 5 playing about on an old stone dyke (wall) early one morning.
Whaur aboot in Angus are ye frae?

Lucky to see one of those super little creatures let alone get a picture.
I am told they are now in Carron Valley forest which is not too far from me, but I have yet to see one.

Lucky to see one of those super little creatures let alone get a picture.
I am told they are now in Carron Valley forest which is not too far from me, but I have yet to see one.

They could well be in the Carron Valley.(y)
Maybe they can take a wee trip nearer you & have a feast of your grey squirrels.;)

They could well be in the Carron Valley.(y)
Maybe they can take a wee trip nearer you & have a feast of your grey squirrels.;)

Thousands of pheasants here. That may attract them. Pheasants roosting in trees are not safe from PM's.

Thousands of pheasants here. That may attract them. Pheasants roosting in trees are not safe from PM's.

True enough. I thought you were talking about PMs way up in Forest Enterprise woods. What I remember of them there could be all sorts in there.
Do you ever come across a fella by the name of Ian Young.? Timber haulier. Might still have I & S Young on his lorry.

Nice spot Charlie, I've never seen one in the wild. I heard a tale that they are on the increase because grey squirrels are moving into their areas and Pine Martens find it easier to catch them rather than reds, so the reds benefit as well. Might be bunkum though.

Andy

Nice spot Charlie, I've never seen one in the wild. I heard a tale that they are on the increase because grey squirrels are moving into their areas and Pine Martens find it easier to catch them rather than reds, so the reds benefit as well. Might be bunkum though.

Andy

I think there could well be some truth in it. Hoping so anyway.;)

Peanut butter Charlie, that's what you need, they love it!

I'll vouch for that.

There's Pine Martins living in the tree at the cottage we stay in on the shores of Loch Sunart and you can bring them out with peanut butter. Cat food and Jam seems to work too ;)

Great capture of a fab wee animal.

I'll vouch for that.

There's Pine Martins living in the tree at the cottage we stay in on the shores of Loch Sunart and you can bring them out with peanut butter. Cat food and Jam seems to work too ;)

Great capture of a fab wee animal.

Sssshhh! Dinae tell them about the wonders of Sunart!:LOL:
That is where this one was taken. Between Resipol & Salen.

Ooo the secret is out :LOL: I am coming next year will have to remember that:DCharlie

I thought I had already told you about the delights of Sunart!

Now I am getting the notion for a wee jaunt. Midges will be slowing down a bit now I think.

Charlie I apologiseyou did tell me looked at my messages I have kept of all the info and bless ya you had told me(y)

I may be ower the hill but my memory seems to be better than yours.:p:LOL:
You will not be disappointed with Sunart & round about whatever the weather!

I may be ower the hill but my memory seems to be better than yours.:p:LOL:
You will not be disappointed with Sunart & round about whatever the weather!

We spent 10 days in Arisaig this summer and toured round the Sunart area as well. Stunning place.

Andy

Cheers. They are in Angus too you know. I found a road kill on the trunk road from Forfar to Dundee maybe 15 years ago. I think it is now in the natural history museum in Dundee. They stuffed it.
I suspect The forests up in the Glens will hold some, but the nearset I have seen a live on was in The forests of Loch Rannoch at Kilvrecht campsite when I watched 5 playing about on an old stone dyke (wall) early one morning.
Whaur aboot in Angus are ye frae?

Hi there, nearest to a pine marten I've seen round here was a tiny stoat about a year or so ago.
I'm originally from Glasgow but been living up here since 2003. Must be near you as I'm in Letham :)

Hi there, nearest to a pine marten I've seen round here was a tiny stoat about a year or so ago.
I'm originally from Glasgow but been living up here since 2003. Must be near you as I'm in Letham :)

Was it you who was asking about a camera club in the Spar shop on Monday

Back