Pipit bullet.... ID please....

But, as has been said before, just posting "that's crap" is quite a negative response. That's fine if you don't like it but explain why, then others may find something in your comments that makes them think the next time they find temselves in a similar situation. Just saying "that's crap" serves no purpose other than to make you appear to be someone who is worth ignoring. Same as in the Art threads, we work in a subjective field, not everyone is going to like the same stuff, but at least explain why.
Yeh, that was my point but it's as helpful as saying 'great shot' without saying why. Neither are constructive in any way but folk will usually accept 'great shot' without explanation even if the shot is clearly not great, which is all to often the case.

If we are discussing whether there was a blue sky that day, I have a 16 x 9 landscape reference snap I took of the reedbeds with my Lumix compact pocket camera on that same day in the same location and with a deep blue sky but I haven't uploaded that camera's images to my Mac yet. However, post-processing has made the sky in this Pipit BiF shot appear more blue than it might to the naked eye.

Last edited:
I'm off to see the final installment of the Hobbit. Wonder if I'll recognise anyone.o_O

I'm off to see the final installment of the Hobbit. Wonder if I'll recognise anyone.o_O

I didn't realise that you were only 11

If it is as good as the final episode of Homeland I would not bother

Last edited:
Yeh, that was my point but it's as helpful as saying 'great shot' without saying why. Neither are constructive in any way but folk will usually accept 'great shot' without explanation even if the shot is clearly not great, which is all to often the case.

....As photographers, most of us are self-critical and are constantly trying to improve or get that one elusive 'better' image. I would hope you would agree that this is a very healthy attitude. Consequently the positive comments serve to encourage us even if they are just one word such as the ubiquitous "Nice!". However, the negative comments need further explanation if they are to be constructively helpful.

Of course there is nothing wrong in expanding on why you like an image either and I frequently do so in the hope that it is both helpful and further encouragement.

We all need encouragement if we are to gain confidence in our efforts and consequently further exploit any talent we have.

:)

Last edited:
For the love of anything birdy, do you lot think you could try and actually get on. @BRASH do us all a favour and politely justify why you think its not a good shot, no need to sugar coat it, but a modicum of civility. Yes, nice shot posts are equally pointless, but cause less arguments and anyone wanting genuine comments will usually just thank and move on to more constructive comments. There is absolutely no point telling people to 'man up' and preaching about 'nice shot' being bad when what you are doing is equally bad. So, some straight talking, for some reason I am yet to fathom, I personally [before anyone jumps on this, personal, not representative of TP] like you and your straight talking, but as a mod this IS the last warning, start acting like you do have some kind of comprehension of manners, stop swearing and start explaining yourself better.

Everyone else, stop stirring the pot, because whether you like it or not, you are, some more than others and you know who you are. The reactions are causing as many problems as the original comments, so all of you, get a grip and don't even think about saying 'he started it'.

Last edited:
For the love of anything birdy, do you lot think you could try and actually get on. @BRASH do us all a favour and politely justify why you think its not a good shot, no need to sugar coat it, but a modicum of civility. Yes, nice shot posts are equally pointless, but cause less arguments and anyone wanting genuine comments will usually just thank and move on to more constructive comments. There is absolutely no point telling people to 'man up' and preaching about 'nice shot' being bad when what you are doing is equally bad. So, some straight talking, for some reason I am yet to fathom, I personally [before anyone jumps on this, personal, not representative of TP] like you and your straight talking, but as a mod this IS the last warning, starting acting like you do have some kind of comprehension of manners, stop swearing and start explaining yourself better.

Everyone else, stop stirring the pot, because whether you like it or not, you are, some more than others and you know who you are. The reactions are causing as many problems as the original comments, so all of you, get a grip and don't even think about saying 'he started it'.

Yvonne, this is "getting on" - that's what makes it interesting

Anyway he's gone to see the Hobbit

sorry - I know who I am - must get back to the D750 thread

Last edited:

Yeah - I take exception to great shot also :D

For the love of anything birdy, do you lot think you could try and actually get on. @BRASH do us all a favour and politely justify why you think its not a good shot, no need to sugar coat it, but a modicum of civility. Yes, nice shot posts are equally pointless, but cause less arguments and anyone wanting genuine comments will usually just thank and move on to more constructive comments. There is absolutely no point telling people to 'man up' and preaching about 'nice shot' being bad when what you are doing is equally bad. So, some straight talking, for some reason I am yet to fathom, I personally [before anyone jumps on this, personal, not representative of TP] like you and your straight talking, but as a mod this IS the last warning, starting acting like you do have some kind of comprehension of manners, stop swearing and start explaining yourself better.

It bloody well wasn't me that said it was a crap shot in the first place it was Frac. Get him to explain. My comment, as denoted by the following smileys, was meant to be humorous ffs. Jeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzusss H. Shall I draw a wee picture:rolleyes:;).

It bloody well wasn't me that said it was a crap shot in the first place it was Frac. Get him to explain. My comment, as denoted by the following smileys, was meant to be humorous ffs. Jeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzusss H. Shall I draw a wee picture:rolleyes:;).

Presumably you will be holding hands at the Hobbit and sharing your sweeties, so can you ask him!

(Cannot find those Carol Smilie flipping things!!)

Last edited:

I am fully aware of who said it first and why it was said and hence it wasn't removed when it was RTM'd as we do agree some people need to get a sense of humour [although if Ade could remember where the smilies are too, that would help]. However, you are fully aware of what I am saying, because I know you aren't that stupid, it applies generally, not just this thread. No need for pictures, I struggle to understand art.

However, I will agree with you on something, if we could get people to expand on 'nice shot' more often, things would be vastly improved too but I suspect the facebook/flickr generation has got us beat on that, but maybe we can try here to at least keep it all going to some extent.

I am not defending Brash or Ade in any way, they do not need my support …… but I see their two or three word expletives as amusing or similar and when they do venture into free flowing sentences they usually have something relevant and pertinent to say.

Just get used to them, I have and I do not see anything offensive inn what they say at all …….. same goes for the three words of praise and same considerations.

there are a few people on here "up their arses" and who think that they are gods give to photography for some obscure reason and that makes them feel good in their lives, BUT as far as I am aware there are no such people in the Bird or Wildlife sections ……. I am really surpassed that people would permanently leave the section because of a few harsh comments …….. just get used to it …….. it take all sorts and the Bird section, IMHO, would be far worse without the "great shot" "cracking shot" "crap shot" "bin it" "rubbish"

Just grow up and I mean "grow up" not grow up - we will all come out with abusive comments now and again, (not that the above are abusive IMHO) - that's life

But clearly some differ

So did we get a firm ID on the bird ?

....99%(?) Water Pipit, as the local expert's quoted email to me in post #7. Also, I recall seeing a very quick flash of white tail streaks as the bird rose and at first thought it might be a Wagtail. As every wildlife photographer knows, things can happen suddenly and very quickly indeed.

Water Pipits are less common in the UK as far as I know and usually only winter here from October to March.

Last edited:
I am not defending Brash or Ade in any way, they do not need my support …… but I see their two or three word expletives as amusing or similar and when they do venture into free flowing sentences they usually have something relevant and pertinent to say.

Just get used to them, I have and I do not see anything offensive inn what they say at all …….. same goes for the three words of praise and same considerations.

there are a few people on here "up their arses" and who think that they are gods give to photography for some obscure reason and that makes them feel good in their lives, BUT as far as I am aware there are no such people in the Bird or Wildlife sections ……. I am really surpassed that people would permanently leave the section because of a few harsh comments …….. just get used to it …….. it take all sorts and the Bird section, IMHO, would be far worse without the "great shot" "cracking shot" "crap shot" "bin it" "rubbish"

Just grow up and I mean "grow up" not grow up - we will all come out with abusive comments now and again, (not that the above are abusive IMHO) - that's life

But clearly some differ

....Please read my post #49.

There is really no justification in being obliged to get used to such comments. And hopefully you have already seen on the TP forum generally that I do not suffer from having no sense of humour.

Surely enough has now been discussed regarding this aspect or do I have to ask for this thread to be locked?

....99%(?) Water Pipit, as the local expert's quoted email to me in post #7. Also, I recall seeing a very quick flash of white tail streaks as the bird rose and at first thought it might be a Wagtail. As every wildlife photographer knows, things can happen suddenly and very quickly indeed.

Water Pipits are less common in the UK as far as I know and usually only winter here from October to March.

Yes, quite irregular winter visitors, rare enough to be mentioned specifically in bird reports, etc, although until recently regarded as a race of rock pipit ( I think......).

However as they are so similar I suspect they are sometimes mis-identified; until late winter that is, when water pipits start to moult into a distinctive summer plumage.

Gosh, do I sound like I know what I'm talking about?

Yes, quite irregular winter visitors, rare enough to be mentioned specifically in bird reports, etc, although until recently regarded as a race of rock pipit ( I think......).

However as they are so similar I suspect they are sometimes mis-identified; until late winter that is, when water pipits start to moult into a distinctive summer plumage.

Gosh, do I sound like I know what I'm talking about?

....LOL :D Be careful, you really do know what you're talking about.

Both according to the local expert Paul's comments and my own studying of guide books, I favour it being a Water Pipit because of both the eye stripe marking but also the body flanks.

Photographically, I am happy to have caught any type of Pipit in flight and at speed.

In my opinion, the TP Staff should do more to police unqualified one-word criticisms which are so unconstructive and unhelpful to the recipient. As a Moderator on two internet forums I am not impressed with TP in this respect and it is no wonder that members leave or stop contributing posts due to such behaviour being allowed - I already know quite a few who agree with me and who now post very little if at all. @@Cobra and Staff, please take note.
But of course with over 60,000 members, and god knows how many posts per day,
we can't be everywhere. And rely on disgruntled members giving us the heads up.

With something this large, and with a lot of people being personal friends
with each other, you do get people "taking sides"
it human nature.

Really though, the best feature of the forum that is also free to use, that the members have,
that we staff don't, is the IGNORE BUTTON.
Quite a few people would do well to use the damned thing.

Have a good Christmas everyone (y)

But of course with over 60,000 members, and god knows how many posts per day,
we can't be everywhere. And rely on disgruntled members giving us the heads up.

With something this large, and with a lot of people being personal friends
with each other, you do get people "taking sides"
it human nature.

Really though, the best feature of the forum that is also free to use, that the members have,
that we staff don't, is the IGNORE BUTTON.
Quite a few people would do well to use the damned thing.

Have a good Christmas everyone (y)

....Whereas I sympathise with your workload and that it is more practical for you to be reactive rather than proactive, using the IGNORE BUTTON is merely sweeping issues under the carpet and gives more free rein to those who behave as if they are still in the childrens playground with their gang of mates - It doesn't solve matters or improve the forum's reputation.

Of course you could adopt the attitude that you've got over 60,000 members and who cares if you lose some as you are also regularly gaining new members.

Ignore? I prefer to keep those I might ignore more closely observed. It's clear who the troublemakers are and fortunately it's a tiny minority - You really shouldn't find it difficult to keep those members under control and you don't even have to do it publicly if you shrink from possible confrontation - You can do it by PM. So what's stopping you?

This post is intended as polite and constructive criticism. :) Would you prefer if I start a separate thread on this subject?

Last edited:
Would you prefer if I start a separate thread on this subject?

Neither. instead follow the instruction at the bottom of the forum rules...
Moderating decisions are not up for public discussion or debate. Contact the Moderation Team privately using the Contact Us link below.

....Whereas I sympathise with your workload and that it is more practical for you to be reactive rather than proactive, using the IGNORE BUTTON is merely sweeping issues under the carpet and gives more free rein to those who behave as if they are still in the childrens playground with their gang of mates - It doesn't solve matters or improve the forum's reputation.
But the more people that use the function, then the so called antagonists will find they no longer have an audience.
Job done :)

Of course you could adopt the attitude that you've got over 60,000 members and who cares if you lose some as you are also regularly gaining new members.
Ignore? I prefer to keep those I might ignore more closely observed.
Obviously your choice, but of course the more you re-act, the more so they :)

You really shouldn't find it difficult to keep those members under control and you don't even have to do it publicly if you shrink from possible confrontation - You can do it by PM. So what's stopping you?

Its not a matter of keeping people under control
most people on here are adults and we expect them to behave that way.
Failing that, there is the judgement of their peers.

As for you last comment, no one shrinks away from confrontation,
you have no idea what goes on "behind the scenes".
I will however say we are also governed by guidelines and "good practice,
these rules are laid down by the site owners.
We are here to assist them carry out their rules and guidelines.

Edit As my follow mod has just said, while I was typing.
Subject is now closed, if you wish to continue heed his advice.

Last edited:
Fb_ChristmasRobin.jpg

Back