Places to photograph in london please?

Edit My Images
Yes
Not quite as open as it sounds. Going down to london with other half. We will only have two half days there. We are going on the london eye and westminster area but wondered where might be good to get some untypical photo's? (e.g. not b'ham palace!)

It has to be places that I can subtly go to without annoying OH. I can already here the "We didn't come here just to take photo's you know!".
.....?

The banks of the Thames are good, and not just for views of the bridges and rivers, but for the hundreds of thousands of unique things you'll see. You could walk along the south bank towards Tower Bridge, then cross over, check out the marina and head into the City. London's never boring - you'll find photo opportunities everywhere...

I regularly walk from Waterloo to the City & there's loads to shoot with a bit of imagination. There are some new statues on the South Bank - a covered graffiti'd area full of skateboarders (& togs!) most of the time. Walk along past the book stores on the waterfront past the Tate to Jubilee Bridge & cross it - there's a quiet enclosure around St Pauls - carry on to Liverpool St & there's great views of the gherkin & invariably interesting people. Have a go at some slow-shutter shots & blurred images of motion. Liv St are a lot more relaxed about photograpy than Waterloo. I've a few of these pics on my gallery if yuo want to have a look - all taken along that route.

This is my stock answer for London photography. It was originally written in a rush and though I have added bits to it over time it really needs rewriting. I am just far too lazy - even this introduction bit is a pre-written part of it!

One of the exits of Oxford Circus (Central, Victoria, Bakerloo lines) is Argyll Street which is pretty active, sometimes has street entertainers, and some interesting architecture in the area. Although I have not taken advantage of it myself, it always seems to me to be a pretty photogenic spot for street photography.

It also leads into Carnaby Street, famous in the 60s for its fashion and music stores but these days is mostly the usual chain stores, while Oxford Circus is at the junction of Oxford Street and Regent Street, London's main shopping streets. Oxford Street is the more main stream, Regent Street has the better architecture.

The actual City of London itself is pretty small, famously being one square mile, and so easy to walk around, Bank station (Central, Northern, Waterloo & City, DLR) sits at its centre. Though like most financial districts unless you want to see bankers or buildings there is not much else going on. Near Monument station (District, Circle) is the monument to the great fire of London, and has a viewing platform at the top which is only a few pounds and is supposed to have great views, though it means climbing a 200 foot staircase! Bank and Monument stations are linked.

The monument sits on the southern end of London Bridge, itself not very interesting but as the next one along from Tower Bridge it gives great views to one of London's most photographed attractions. It also gives access for walking up and down the river.

Also in the city to the East of Bank and the monument is the Lloyd's Building on Lime Street, which was designed 'inside-out' so all the stairwells, conduits etc. are on the outside making the space better inside the building. And there is also on of London's newest towers, the Swiss Re Building on St Mary Axe, aka the Gherkin.

Heading West from Bank takes you St Pauls' Cathedral, and following Ludgate Hill from there it turns into Fleet Street, formally the main location of Britain's press, and at the end where it becomes the Strand sits the Royal Courts of Justice, home to the highest courts in the country. As well as the chance to see barristers (lawyers) and judges running around in robes and wigs, the courts are open to the public.

Personally I find Soho to be a bit boring (great for vegan food though!), this is the area borded by Regent Street, Oxford Street, Shaftesbury Avenue and Charing Cross Road. Piccadilly Circus (Piccadilly, Bakerloo) though, at the Junction of Shaftesbury Avenue and Regent Street, is interesting and Coventry Street leads from there to Leicester Square which is where the London movie premieres take place. And immediately to the north of that is Chinatown. You could also use Leicester Square station (Piccadilly, Northern [Charing Cross branch]). Heading east from here leads to Covent Garden which is home to a craft market and usually a lot of street entertainers. While it has its own station (Piccadilly), it is small and often closes due to overcrowding as platform access is only by lift or a spiral staircase.

To the south of Leicester Square you come to Trafalgar Square, home to Nelson's Column, the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery (some exhibitions are charged, but there are free photographic exhibits too). Nelson's Column sits at the top of Whitehall which houses many government buildings, including Downing Street, the office of the Prime Minister, protected by a large fence and armed officers, before culminating in Parliament Square, and the houses of Parliament. Turn onto Westminster Bridge and you come to face London's other most photographed attraction, the London Eye.

I am going to stop now as I am beginning to sound like I work for the tourist board! The above (well maybe except the city) are the 'obvious' tourist locations to see and do, and for good reason, but most of central London has something to offer. If you want to be more more unique just get off of a train anywhere and just walk around and you will find quiet squares, bustling streets, etc. Roughly speaking, the east side of zone one is the city, the west side are the more affluent neighbourhoods, while between them sits the west end.

If you want to see bridges lit up at night two of my favourites are Albert Bridge and Chelsea Bridge, both suspension bridges and so rather different from the usual brick and stone ones that most people are used to further downstream. The former is pink and white and with the lighting feels more Parisian, while from the latter is less ornate and from closed up has a more colder raw metallic feel. There are also a large number of moorings around the north side of Albert Bridge.

On the south bank Battersea Park sites between the two, which is a nice park and features a large Pagoda. If you start here and head west to cross the Battersea Bridge, walk along Chelsea Embankment towards Chelsea Bridge. Staying on the north side if you go just a little way beyond the bridge down Grosvenor Road (which Chelsea Embankment becomes) and under the railway bridge you are directly across the river from, and with unobstructed views to, the iconic Battersea Power Station.

Finally, if you are into people watching and interesting neighbourhoods I would also recommend Camden (Camden Town station on the Northern line) though this is in zone two just north of Euston and Kings Cross station. Primrose Hill (west of Camden, and across the road from Regents Park) gives decent views across London, while the canal from Regent's Park goes through the centre of Camden and towards east London which is interesting to walk along.

Michael.

Michael. That was brilliant. *pats*

Very late but may I be as bold as to suggest the graveyard which I believe in Highbury?
Karl Marx and Michael Farradays' graves are there, interesting place.

Borough Market - by London bridge (in fact walk the south bank to get there). Very colourful, good opportunities for candids etc, plus you get to nibble around the market :D

Bloomsbury/russell square area. Added bonus there are a few camera shops around there as well. the main thing is some of the buildings are quite nice.

Mij, really good info in there. Only one thing is that I think Monument is closed for refurbishment at the moment.

I met a mate for lunch the other day at Tower Hill. I've worked in London for years but never realised what a great location this is.

Trinity Square Gardens are quite pretty, plus you have the "very old" London and it's surrounded by modern architecture as well.

And you have "Lord Livingston's" office just the other side of the Thames too.

Has to be worth a 30 minute look around.

Around docklands (canary wharf) is good for architecture shots, though you have to get a pass from the press office! i didn't and walked round with my headphones on! Got told about needing a pass just as i was finishing.

Security know nothing at Canary Wharf. I emailed the press office before photographing round there and they said I didn't need any sort of pass as it was just for non-commercial amatuer use. I took a copy of the email expecting to get stopped just in case but nobody stopped me anyway.

oh, they seemed very adamant i should have had a pass, thanks for letting me know as i will be going back at some point

ps ranarama, would you please let me know who you emailed at canary wharf thanks

Requests for media photography and filming need to come through the press office. If you plan to take pictures or film outside the FSA building (including the building itself), you should contact Canary Wharf Ltd to gain security clearance – this is because the Wharf is privately owned. They can be contacted on +44 (0)20 7418 2345.
Equipment can be unloaded outside the building, then the vehicle will need to be parked in one of Canary Wharf 's car parks (they are at Westferry Circus, Cabot Square and Canada Place).

Contacting the Press Office

During office hours ( 08:30 – 18:00 ) phone +44 (0)20 7066 3232.

At other times page +44 (0)7795 351 956

You can also contact us on our office fax : +44 (0)207 066 1021 and email press.office@fsa.gov.uk

If you wish to direct consumers to the FSA then please quote our consumer helpline number 0845 606 1234

I emailed the webmaster through http://www.canarywharf.com/

This is the reply I got:
If you are using a regular non-professional camera and equipment, you
should not be challenged by security. However, if you are in doubt then
you could request a photography permit from Julia Denman in our press
office on julia.denman@canarywharf.com

So I emailed Julia as I'd be using my L glass on a 30D and got this reply:
As an amateur you will be fine to take pictures on the estate. If in
doubt then please take this email with you.

Camden Market gives you different options. Bustling market stalls, 'alternative' people, canal life etc.

If you're lucky you might even spot Amy Winehouse on one of her binges and sell the pictures to the tabloids ;)

thanks for your help ranarama, i emailed julia and as you said, no pass is required. will take the email though!!!!!
regards
mark

Back