Posing Fly

Bryn what a great set with the first two being crackers with such colourful eyes & sharp - all from a reversed lens - you should write a book :clap:

Great pics bryn :)
What lens did you use Bryn, I cant get that close even with a full set of extension tubes? (though I am using a 100mm lens) so perhaps a 200mm would get me in a bit closer? :)

I reckon Bryn has a prototype he's testing which has a 2,000mm lens :clap:

wow, I didn't think reversing it would work as well as that, amazing!! Might have to look for a reversing ring then :)

just got one from amazon for £9 plus a couple of quid P&P. Gutted I havent already got it as Im off out for some photos today. Guess my extensions will have to do until it turns up.

Thanks bryn! :)

Last edited:
wow, I didn't think reversing it would work as well as that, amazing!! Might have to look for a reversing ring then :)

just got one from amazon for £9 plus a couple of quid P&P. Gutted I havent already got it as Im off out for some photos today. Guess my extensions will have to do until it turns up.

Thanks.... just check out how to set aperture before reversing by using dof button. Please read whole thread provided to avoid starting where I did. You'll be amazed how little you can see through viewfinder. :)

These shots are not cropped either btw. :)

Carl @Carlh which one have you bought to save me pondering over lots of different options - not sure my brain could cope :thinking:

Carl @Carlh which one have you bought to save me pondering over lots of different options - not sure my brain could cope :thinking:

Hi john, went for the 77mm as I have a few lenses this could be used on (11-16mm, 24-105 and 70-200) - only just saw the bit about reading the rest of the thread, doh! hope it'll be ok, going to read it now
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006Y7C538/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
High Quality 77mm Macro Reverse Adapter Ring for Canon EOS EF/ EF-S Mount

Thanks Carl & I have saved the Nikon version in my ever growing wish list (y)

Right. The first shot is quite nice but dreadfully under-exposed. The second might have worked if the focus had been spot on the eyes but it's not. The third would benefit from a 90 degree ccw turn and not having the wing clipped off. The subject in the last one is facing away which is never ideal and one of the feet is clipped.

It's attention to minor details like these I've mentioned that make good Macro images stand out from those that are average or below that level. It's not an easy technique to get to grips with and takes a lot of practice.

I'm no expert but I do take time to look over images (not just my Macro stuff) and try to identify factors that let them down. I then try to do something about it if I can instead of posting them up and hoping no-one will notice (not suggesting that's what you do personally) but I've seen loads of stuff on here recently that smacks of that and many get the usual "Oh, that's great images." When they are clearly not. Once again this helps no-one.

Not having a go at you individually Bryn, as you're clearly putting some effort in to learning but there are, as detailed, a few issues you may wish to consider.

Nice set Bryn, it's a flesh fly with the disgusting habits of depositing their eggs or larvae in carrion or into flesh of living animals.

The first shot is quite nice but dreadfully under-exposed

Any better?

Edit Exposure-8966-01
by bthomas124, on Flickr

The second might have worked if the focus had been spot on the eyes but it's not

Not seeing that mate, just pixel peeped and focus is on the eyes did you mean the mouth parts are oof?

View attachment 12897

I then try to do something about it if I can instead of posting them up and hoping no-one will notice (not suggesting that's what you do personally) but I've seen loads of stuff on here recently that smacks of that and many get the usual "Oh, that's great images." When they are clearly not. Once again this helps no-one.

You do have to bear in mind some of these are newbies to the game and maybe actually hoping someone like you will properly critique but I know you are from the birders game and that is a very harsh section of TP. In fact so much that there is posts about that. But I find the people here generally very helpful and supportive of each other not saying you aren't Brash.

Not having a go at you individually Bryn, as you're clearly putting some effort in to learning but there are, as detailed, a few issues you may wish to consider.

Didn't think you were... and you need to see my first images in macro from Jan ;)

Thanks for your Critique and Moan lol

Last edited:
Any better?

Edit Exposure-8966-01
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Not seeing that mate, just pixel peeped and focus is on the eyes did you mean the mouth parts are oof?

View attachment 12897

You do have to bear in mind some of these are newbies to the game and maybe actually hoping someone like you will properly critique but I know you are from the birders game and that is a very harsh section of TP. In fact so much that there is posts about that. But I find the people here generally very helpful and supportive of each other not saying you aren't Brash.

Didn't think you were... and you need to see my first images in macro from Jan ;)

Thanks for your Critique and Moan lol
Not a moan just observations. Every section suffers the same issues. Folk are often to happy to take adulation for sub standard images but don't like it when the faults are pointed out. Same old same old. Doesn't help folk improve just flatters egos.

Not a moan just observations. Every section suffers the same issues. Folk are often to happy to take adulation for sub standard images but don't like it when the faults are pointed out. Same old same old. Doesn't help folk improve just flatters egos.

Ok back on subject, what do you think to the edit? Have I gone too far?

I really appreciate what you have said and try to take as much on board as possible...

I prefer the edit. Perhaps just slightly too much exposure but not a lot.

I have to say I disagree with quite a lot of this. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great when people take the time and make the effort to provide detailed critique ("Constructive comments" is the way I like to think about it). Sometimes I do it myself, but as you know it can suck up lots of time, and may be ignored, rejected or whatever. But even if it is I think it is still useful for others reading the threads. However, in this particular case ...

The first shot is quite nice but dreadfully under-exposed.

I don't think so. The histogram is spread over the full range and more importantly the image looks fine (to me) brightness-wise. It doesn't look underexposed at all to me, let alone "dreadfully".

Things are developing as I type. I think the edit has spoilt the image. The tops of the legs look unnaturally light and the area between the eyes looks as if it has lost detail/texture/substance, and the fly's head no longer stands out so boldly against the background, which was the immediate impact the first version had for me, and I liked a lot. Clarity seems to have been lost in the ediited version.

The second might have worked if the focus had been spot on the eyes but it's not.

I think the focus is spot on the eyes. (I see that Bryn has demonstrated that now.) I think the problem is narrow dof, and the focus probably needed to be placed in front of, or at the front of, the eye in order to get the eye and the mouthparts in focus (given sufficient dof). Standing further off from the subject and cropping (more) might also help. So might using a smaller aperture.

The third would benefit from a 90 degree ccw turn

Why? That would make it look unnatural. Flies hang around in all orientations. I think turning it around would spoil it by causing cognitive dissonance because it looks (to me at least) like the blade it is on would have been much more vertical than horizontal.

and not having the wing clipped off.

Agreed. Not good.

The subject in the last one is facing away which is never ideal

Why not? I have loads of shots with subjects looking away, often looking (or at least appearing to be looking) "out into the distance", at the edge of a leaf for example. Facing away can work fine.

and one of the feet is clipped.

Which I agree is not very pleasing.

It's attention to minor details like these I've mentioned that make good Macro images stand out from those that are average or below that level. It's not an easy technique to get to grips with and takes a lot of practice.

I agree that attention to detail can contribute to making any image (not just macros/close-ups) stand out: attention to detail during capture (if you have time, which with macros you often don't, especially if the subject is moving), attention to detail during image culling and selection, and attention to detail during post processing. There again, there are some images for which the content trumps considerations of detail, composition, noise, clarity and the rest. So some really appealing/interesting/worthwhile images have terrible details in one way or another (or even in many ways, very occasionally); other things than carefully handled details can make an image stand out.

I'm no expert but I do take time to look over images (not just my Macro stuff) and try to identify factors that let them down. I then try to do something about it if I can instead of posting them up and hoping no-one will notice

How do you know what people "hope" when they post something? I suspect a lot of people just don't notice a lot of the sort of details that you and I care so much about, or not until they have it pointed out to them. And others seem simply to not care one way or the other about some of it, in their own or other people's pictures. People have a very varied approach to appreciating/enjoying images with many, sometimes quite radical, differences as to what matters to them and what doesn't.

(not suggesting that's what you do personally) but I've seen loads of stuff on here recently that smacks of that and many get the usual "Oh, that's great images." When they are clearly not. Once again this helps no-one.

I agree. It seems to be a perennial issue with forums. "How do you get good feedback (or any substantive feedback at all for that matter)?" With extreme difficulty it seems, and rarely. One doesn't want to discourage people by being too harsh, especially when trying to help beginners, but never saying anything other than "nice shot" or whatever certainly doesn't help people develop their understanding and skills. It's tricky. Perhaps it is time for another of those "How to provide critique/constructive comments threads". Or perhaps it has already been done to death. I recall a big thread about it a while ago, in the Talk Photography forum I expect. In fact, looking over there I see there is another one stickied here. It is ongoing, but looks rather slow and intermittent (unlike the one I remember from a while ago), but is probably worth a read, and perhaps contributing to.

I agree. I just disagree about what some of those issues are. :)

I agree with Nick on the first image. Exposure on the subject is good, and you can see how those highlights get blown if you increase the exposure. The background is a bit dark, but this is due to the light fall off and the leaves in the back are quite far back, so this doesn't ditract from the image for me (at least it's not a completely black background).

On the last one, it's very rarely when the subject facing away will work, and unless there are some key identifying features, or some interesting behaviour going on, I would have left this one.

I had a go with my reversed kit lens this morning (I'm impressed by the quality you get - especially in that first one) to see if it might be a light-weight alternative to the MP-E. I got some good magnification, but struggled with focus and light. I took a few shots but I think it's something I need to spend some time to and adapt to and soon switched back to the MP-E as I was missing some good shots. This was something I noticed when I first started macro and moved from reversed lens, to extension tubes, to macro lens. I guess each setup requires slightly different techniques and it takes a while to get used to it.

Nail on Head from Nick there... thanks for the comment much appreciated.

I agree I shouldn't have cut off the limbs/wings - here I just have over compensated for the viewfinder compared to image also lighting and seeing through lens is not easy... but at the moment it is just practice using the reverse setup and I like the fact it only took me a short while to get used to it.

I had a go with my reversed kit lens this morning (I'm impressed by the quality you get - especially in that first one) to see if it might be a light-weight alternative to the MP-E. I got some good magnification, but struggled with focus and light.

Thanks Tim, means a a lot for you to say that... definitely a lightweight setup as for focus and lighting flash is enough for lighting but need some more lighting for focus as you have experienced subjects can be just an outline and trying to hit focus very hard.

But this was the last setup and one I use currently...

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...d-upto-4-1-magnification.544787/#post-6293310

Going to try putting LEDs around lens and or trying another torch the other side of the flash gun.

As for the 1st image I also preferred the original and is what I keeping edit was just done to see if it would improve it... IMHO it didn't and was only 0.5 stop increase so couldn't have been dreadfully under exposed.

Well Nick if my brain was working as well as it used to I couldn't have put what you said better myself (y)

Why am I such an avid reader of the Macro section when six months ago I never even looked at it - well I wasn't able to pursue what were my favourite genres so needed to look at others that suited my situation (disabled) better & Macro is almost perfect. Very quickly I became hooked on it & whilst I don't have a clue about ID'ing the little ones I love looking at the fantastic diversity in this little world that I had overlooked.

In addition I found the level of helpfulness out of this world & a lot of laughs as well as the serious side.

Bryn is one of a number of folks who started macro & we've followed the journey with the up & downs but been delighted they have shared these with us all, & very openly, so I am a great believer in trying to reciprocate & because I can't take shots very often I can read, & write, & encourage other contributors to give them the encouragement to carry on. If the Macro section was like the Birding section I wouldn't have been around much & would only have posted a fraction of the posts I have.

So my view is if anyone don't like the 'sloppy' way we are in this section sod off & stop causing ill feelings.

So there

.......So my view is if anyone don't like the 'sloppy' way we are in this section sod off & stop causing ill feelings.

So there

Assuming that is aimed at me I can assure you I'll be sodding off no where. I will continue to comment, critique and offer advice with a direct honesty as I see fit within in the rules of the Forum. As I'm entitled to do.

The Macro section is not solely your domain and it's not your place to be telling anyone to 'sod off.' That's just plain rude, insulting, uncalled for and going by your other posts (many of which I have read) beneath you imo.

If you're not happy with what or how I post then you can PM me, I don't bite (very often:)) or hit the RTM or ignore functions.

The comments I've made already were how I saw things. No offence was meant and hopefully none taken. You don't have to agree with what I say but you do have to respect my right to say it as long as I do so within the parameters set by the Mods. They'll soon let me know if I don't, you can rest assured of that.

Last edited:
@DayDreamer and @BRASH, no arguments here please I didn't take any offence to your comments Brash and it is always helpful to get everyones opinions rightly or wrongly.

If I don't try anything new I wont learn. As Nick said with me you'll get that I will always try the recommendations so critique is always worth while with me.

You are fine to have your opinion and so is John now we can all "sod off" :D

@DayDreamer and @BRASH, no arguments here please I didn't take any offence to your comments Brash and it is always helpful to get everyones opinions rightly or wrongly.

If I don't try anything new I wont learn. As Nick said with me you'll get that I will always try the recommendations so critique is always worth while with me.

You are fine to have your opinion and so is John now we can all "sod off" :D

:D

Assuming that is aimed at me I can assure you I'll be sodding off no where. I will continue to comment, critique and offer advice with a direct honesty as I see fit within in the rules of the Forum. As I'm entitled to do.

The Macro section is not solely your domain and it's not your place to be telling anyone to 'sod off.' That's just plain rude, insulting, uncalled for and going by your other posts (many of which I have read) beneath you imo.

If you're not happy with what or how I post then you can PM me, I don't bite (very often:)) or hit the RTM or ignore functions.

The comments I've made already were how I saw things. No offence was meant and hopefully none taken. You don't have to agree with what I say but you do have to respect my right to say it as long as I do so within the parameters set by the Mods. They'll soon let me know if I don't, you can rest assured of that.

Aimed at you - no of course not why would it be - I never even read your post when I wrote this -if anyone reads ALL my posts they will not see a single controversial or argumentative post it just isn't my style :thinking:

I do see what Brash is getting at as regards C&C its always best to say what you really think about a shot rather than just say nice shot
His comments have made me think, I will try to give better crit in future
I do disagree about the first shot being underexposed though
If you look at the eyes they are spot on for colour and exposure, it's just the background being dark that makes it look like it's underexposed

I do see what Brash is getting at as regards C&C its always best to say what you really think about a shot rather than just say nice shot
His comments have made me think, I will try to give better crit in future
I do disagree about the first shot being underexposed though
If you look at the eyes they are spot on for colour and exposure, it's just the background being dark that makes it look like it's underexposed

Pete, its a time thing... I try and give as much critique as possible but its hard writing a 6 paragraph document when you want to look at other images that why my critique is usual short and to the point. Rotate/Focus/Composition/Exposure, and sometimes just great shot.

Due to the massive increase in people posting in this section (now bugs are out) its impossible to do that to all posts so for now I do as Nick does if I like the images will just like the OP. If I see a flaw then I will point it out and make it short.

As for Brash that is just Brash!! ;)

Pete its a time ng... I try and giveas much critique as possible but its hard writing a 6 paragraph document when you want to look at other images that why my critique is usual short and to the point. Rotate/Focus/Composition/Exposure, and sometimes just great shot.

Due to the massive increase in people posting in this section (now bugs are out) its impossible to do that to all posts so for now I do as Nick does if I like the images will just like the OP. If I see a flaw then I will point it out and make it short.

As for Brash that is just Brash!! ;)

you have a very good point there Bryn
It would take forever to give detailed crit for every thread
Its great that so many people are posting here
Hard to keep up with it tho!

Last edited:
As a total newbie to macro, I'm still getting to grips with accurate focus etc, so find pictures like this massively inspiring as they are far better than anything I have attained yet.

I was interested in your comment that the photos were not cropped at all as that means you must have been very close to the fly with the front of the lens - how far would you estimate you were away from it ?

The other thing I find when I try to get mega close is that the little so and so always flies off (no pun) just as I go to press the shutter, whats the secret for keeping them still when you are so close

cheers

I was interested in your comment that the photos were not cropped at all as that means you must have been very close to the fly with the front of the lens - how far would you estimate you were away from it ?

I have answered that question in another of my threads, for the reverse lens approach.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...n-images-with-18-55-kit-lens-reversed.544925/
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/18-55mm-kit-reversed-upto-4-1-magnification.544787/

Probably in either of those 2 as it shows my setup which you might find helpful...

But basically 55mm at infinity set focus it is around 20-30cm I reckon not measured it... at 18 and closest focus its around 2 inches or less.

The other thing I find when I try to get mega close is that the little so and so always flies off (no pun) just as I go to press the shutter, whats the secret for keeping them still when you are so close

Sorry no secrets to be told here... you have to be quick is the answer to that. Some aka @TimmyG has been known to get a 25 shot stack of a fly but I have never even achieved more than 2 in same position.

I would suggest you try not get too close to start with anyway, as you will slowly learn how to approach them. Tips for this would be keep your shadow off them that freaks the out, slow movements etc.

Some flies and beasties are more skittish than others dung flies and fruit flies seem to be more willing whereas bluebottles are highly skittish.

Thanks for that Bryn, cheers

Thanks for liking my shots btw. I started in Jan properly taking it seriously so not been a long time to get to where I am now. Look forward to seeing your efforts and this section has a bunch of seriously helpful people so put them out there and we will all see how we can help you.

Can search the section for all my threads if you want to see where I started. Also on flickr. :)

Cheers Bryn, will do. I have managed some acceptable shots so far but not with that Wow factor. Going to have a good long read on lighting now as I think that is a major element for me. I have tried ring flashes but felt they were too harsh, so am now looking at some off camera setups similar to what you have come up with, am also considering the use of an LED light as opposed to a Ring Flash. I saw something on the net which had a dimmable LED light which might be an option to consider.

Cheers Bryn, will do. I have managed some acceptable shots so far but not with that Wow factor. Going to have a good long read on lighting now as I think that is a major element for me. I have tried ring flashes but felt they were too harsh, so am now looking at some off camera setups similar to what you have come up with, am also considering the use of an LED light as opposed to a Ring Flash. I saw something on the net which had a dimmable LED light which might be an option to consider.

Hahaha... my ring flash setup...

20140528_203245
by bthomas124, on Flickr

20140528_203232
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Use this on my Tamron setup with Tubes.

Gives very nice light again there are threads for that too... :) @Ajophotog invented it.

Back