Post your moon shots here!

andy_fozzy

SPAM Merchant
Name
Andy!
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought it would be a good idea to (try!) and keep all our shots of the moon in one place. IE, this thread :D

It might not work, I'm expecting it not to, but worth a try!!

Here's a few of my best. So far...... ;)

DSC02248b.jpg

good7-1.jpg

good7.jpg

sept12-05.jpg

DSC02238d.jpg

I think this one could be a dupe of an older thread... but wth, good shots Andy.

Thanks matey.
These are dupe shots that I've posted before.
I posted them again just to start the ball rolling!!

My intention of this thread is to perhaps have ONE thread for all moon shots, so we know where to go for them.
I know this will be difficult to maintain, but worth a shot. Perhaps :nuts:

So in the future, it would be great if all moon shots could be posted here.
Like I said, probably not going to happen......

How come my moon ends up like this
_DSC0010.jpg

Help it was taken by D2H siggy 70-300 f5.6 2x converter on tripod

Ok Andy, my contributions...

Partial eclipse
moon_eclipse.jpg

And moon in the morning

moon_morning.jpg

Look forward to seeing other entries for what could be a very interesting and educational thread. (y)

Cheers,

Neil

My intention of this thread is to perhaps have ONE thread for all moon shots, so we know where to go for them.
I know this will be difficult to maintain, but worth a shot. Perhaps :nuts:

So in the future, it would be great if all moon shots could be posted here.
Like I said, probably not going to happen......

I've actually thought we had a thread like that, but I couldn't find it at all when I was searching for a just a few minutes ago. Maybe it was another forum... if that's the case then I apologise.

OK here is mine. taken about 30 mins ago.

moon2002edited.jpg

Last edited:
here's mine from about 20 mins ago
moon5.jpg

taken with D300 70-300 with 2x teleconverter
and this one from a month or so ago
2193.jpg

Last edited:
Thought i'd join in with the moon shots.

Taken on the Oly E-3 with the 50-200 and EC-14 (560mm Equiv Focal Length), and quite a heavy crop.

2854307694_2ed03553cd_o.jpg

Camera: Olympus E-3
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/4.9
Focal Length: 283 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV

Chris

About 30 minutes ago

moon_near_full.jpg

ISO100, f13, 1/200, 300mm, tripod, remote and mirror lockup

Some great pictures on this thread (y)

Neil

Cool shots guy's (y)
looked out the window earlier and saw a strange object in the sky :shrug:

canon 40D 70-200 + 2x tc ( @ 400mm) f/11 @ 1/250 iso 200
moon2.jpg

I'll post one from tonights effort
2853748447_824768a8b9_b.jpg

Shot with a 10D @1/250sec Iso200 600mm f7.5

Last edited:
here mine from the other night
hope ya like, crop and resized
with 100-400mm
2849650474_3c040cfc9e_o.jpg

OK smart asses where am I going wrong ....tell me or else

Ok As you asked so nicely
check your settings against those posted
Your EXIF f1 @ 1/3" way lower than everyone else also it looks as though you have some "shake" in there, if that was hand held I am not surprised

edit just seen that you did use a tri-pod did you use a cable release as well?

Last edited:

Im no expert just got my first moon shot that I was happy with myself this week but I would try without the tc might need a bit more of a crop but I think It will pick out more detail and sharpness going by my experience over the last few days. I think I've taken 150 shots in the space of 3 nights and the ones I tried using a 2xTC were much softer and lacking detail will post a couple tomorrow bit tired now. I still never managed anything as good as some of the ones posted here mind but they were a lot better than my previous attempts.

Sean

How come my moon ends up like this
_DSC0010.jpg

Help it was taken by D2H siggy 70-300 f5.6 2x converter on tripod

Hope you dont mind, a bit of PS,

A little bit of exposure, tighten the levels up, and a large bit of unsharpen mask.

Last edited:
Ok Andy here's one from my Sony days ...... oh hum! 500mm.......500mm.....:crying:

DSC03159.jpg

It is possible to take resonable shots of a full moon hand held, using a tripod and cable release just gives you a better chance of getting the detail sharp. I'm not 100% (and i'm sure someone with better knowledge than myself will correct me) but it is not possible to get a shot of the stars and moon correctly exposed without merging two pics as the moon is just too bright and the stars the complete opposite.

Amazing the difference of the shots posted so far. Well done all.(y)

Last edited:
Have to say this a really interesting thread loving these moon shots. :)

:LOL:

I was going to answer, honestly!!!!
See Coba's post.
I think your shutter speed is way too slow to start with.

We'll get you there don't worry ;)
If you're about tonight, pray for a clear sky and we'll have a crack at it!

Here's one with it very low and about to set. Hazy atmosphere gives it that orange glow.

1-1.jpg

And here's another taken on Christmas Eve last year (well I didn't have anything else to do!)

ChristmasMoon.jpg

Excellent thread idea too.

Last edited:
Well let me in on the act,after gaining some advice i produced this

moonreadyuploadTP.jpg

C/C welcome but i like it:crying: :) i may have cropped it to much but then thats me crack a nut with a sledge hammer

Regards Mark

Last edited:
I'm hoping some of you got some decent moon shots last night.

It was a perfectly clear night here in the north west and the full moon was looking stunning :love: really bright and with loads of detail.

Some great shots here. Must give it a try.

You boys seem to have an un-healthy fasination with this celestrial body. You don't get all hairy and grow large teeth and claws at certain times of the lunar cycle by any chance do you? :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

You boys seem to have an un-healthy fasination with this celestrial body. You don't get all hairy and grow large teeth and claws at certain times of the lunar cycle by any chance do you? :LOL::LOL:

Sounds an awful lot like an exgirlfriend I know of. :D
Anyway, even though I've only got the 18 mm/55 mm kit lens with my D40, at 10 pm last night I stepped outside to try and capture the moonlight - but unfortunately low cloud gunk was rolling in from the north sea!

harvestmoon2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok As you asked so nicely
check your settings against those posted
Your EXIF f1 @ 1/3" way lower than everyone else also it looks as though you have some "shake" in there, if that was hand held I am not surprised

edit just seen that you did use a tri-pod did you use a cable release as well?

Thanks (he he) will try again tonight clouds permitting:)

Have a go I did and my attempt was somewhat err rubbish but after a bit of ps by a nice person they showed me what I actually did take and I am amazed at what they came up with
I really do need to learn ps more :)

The-Moon.jpg

Sorry just seen this thread about 30 seconds after posting this on its own. It was a great night to take moon shots last night and I'm quite pleased with this for a first attempt.

Cheers

Andy

Back