Post your moon shots here!

From last night - Not sure about the processing :shrug: but hey if you don't try you don't know.

proc_moon.jpg

and an previous attempt with std processing ;)

moon7.jpg

i tried it for the first time last night and they were not very good,mind you my hands and camera were resting on an open swivelling dormer window which didnt help much:wacky:

My first reasonable moon shots been trying for ages to get a decent one think my new lens might have helped a bit though ;)

C&C welcomed

Sean

:eek:

Shucks, there's some terrific shots here guys.
I wish I had time to reply to you all!!

Fingers crossed for clear skies tonight :woot:

That is a really nice photograph!

What new lens are you using and what PP did you apply?

Cheers,

Neil

Thanks Neilmac it was taken with a Canon 100-400L. PP was all done in adobe camera raw a bit of tone curve adjustment and some sharpening, this is the first time I've used it for anything other than tweaking exposure seems to work quite well, then cropped and resized in cs3. Your second shot on the first page is a cracker so much detail in the craters very nice indeed. I don't seem to have caught as much detail as some of the guys have it's a tricky subject to capture well.

Nice capture there Sprog opportunities like that don't come along very often.

Last edited:
There's some belters in here. I think I've posted both of these before (I'm not going to put them all in)...

Webcam through the scope and made a composite (not your normal photography but...)

moontheo.jpg

450d through the scope
IMG_4723.jpg

One of the guys over on DPReview has some very good moon shots.

Rather than hotlink to them, here is a link to his PBase Account

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz

He also has some pics and details of the equipment he uses for those that are interested.

Chris

Tonight is the true full moon and acording to my weather station it starts at 18:57
but it doesnt say from what direction? any help please guys.

here's one I took at weekend with the 120-300 Sigma + 1.4TC - I think I can get the IQ better with less cloud around, this one was done a bit quick whilst trying to beat the incoming grey water carrying stuff. Looks good tonight, might have another go.

moonsept2008.jpg

This is the first moon shot I have ever done, taken about 3 weeks ago - It's no way near as sharp and detailed as some of the photos on here but i liked the atmosphere of the shot.

DSC00348.jpg

Good work guys :clap:

Just didn't have the touch last night.
Took about 20 or so shots, but only 1 or 2 turned out ok.

Here's the best one:

sept15-03.jpg

Not as good as some on here. Would have liked it sharper, but just couldn't master it :razz:

Phoenix, that's a good lunar halo (y)
Andy, that's a good one. The full moon is tricky to capture due to lack of contrast on the surface features. But you've certainly got the details that can be seen showing well. (y)

Here's my full moon from last night.

1/250 f5.6 iso100 @250mm & cropped.
IMG_4826.jpg

loving these moon shots, i hope to join the ranks one day ;-)

That's a great moon shot Simon, just past full too.

Never been too sure of this one as it was taken with a lowly SONY DSC-P73. I just like the colours of the late evening sky.

DSC01308.jpg

This was taken in Feb this year when we had the eclipse. It was about -25c outside trying to get this shot. I never realised how fast the moon moved across the sky!!!

DSC_5145.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely moon pics everyone.

I love your top photo mindcrime, the colours are beautiful.

Taken about 10 mins ago at 8 Deg west. D300 Sigma 500mm

moon.jpg

steven001, what camera and lens were those taken with?

Here's my effort from a few nights ago. I went out again an hour or so later and it was quite misty so I guess that partly explains the poor quality.

img_3228.jpg

This is what I got when I let the camera do the metering - 1/3 @ f5.6 Am I correct in thinking that this is caused by internal reflections between the front element of the lens and the back of the skylight filter?

img_32191.jpg

well I couldn't resist, nice and steady atmosphere
055.jpg

taken 5mins ago d300 2xtc 70-300

and a B+W conversion
055bw.jpg

Last edited:
yeah thanks for that (y), just got glasses for reading and close up stuff and i wasn't sure, not quite got the hang of them yet :LOL:

Last edited:
It's relatively clear over here so I had a bash myself....600/4 IS + 1.4x T/C on a 50D 1/160th at f/9 ISO 800
The second is an over-sharpened crop of the lower quarter.
Bob

Moon_1w.jpg

Moon_lower_1w.jpg

Back