Power Mac G5 Mod to Intel I7 3930

Les McLean

In Memoriam
Name
Les
Edit My Images
Yes
Like Ross in this thread:-Power Mac G5 build
I've wanted to do a G5 Case Mod for some time, and as I was about to build a new system to replace old, I thought it would look good housed in a G5 Case.

Managed to pick up a clean (non working) 2004/5 G5 for not a lot of money

1DSL0346.jpg

Before I got onto the mod, I stripped everything from case (and what a long job that was, they are well put together)

1DSL9907.jpg

My intention is to retain the bare bones case, I did consider utilising some of the components from the G5, but because the system that is to be used is relatively high end, I decided on all new components, just retaining the G5 front panel switches, (Power switch/USB/Firewire port)

My planned build components:-

Motherboard-Asus Sabretooth X79 Socket 2011
Processor-Intel I7 3930K
Graphics-Geforce GTX 670
Hard Drives- Sandisk G25 Extreme 120GB SSD x 2
2TB+1TB HDD
Memory-Corsair 16GB DDR 1600
PSU-Corsair CXM 750W Modular
Cooling- Corsair H60 CPU water cooler
Dell 30 inch & 24 inch monitors

Last edited:
The Case Mod

Before installing all the components, the case itself needed a few alterations to enable installation. I wanted to retain the 'look' of the G5 as much as possible, so any modifications had to be minimal.

Because the rear panel of the G5 case is not non apple Motherboard friendly, I decided to use an old ATX case frame I had along-with the ATX motherboard tray to replace part of the G5 rear panel.

Rear panel plan

1DSL0352s.jpg

Motherboard tray

1DSL0357s.jpg

Last edited:
The Mod Continued

Tools/Equipment used

Hacksaw
Drill
Tin snips
G Clamps
Metal files
Emery Cloth
Silver Gaffer Tape
JD Weld
Halfords High Temperature Aluminium Paint
Elastoplast x 3
Expletives x 127

First Job was to cut the G5 rear panel to enable fitting of the ATX rear panel, and the cutting out of the ATX rear panel/MB tray, and then setting up a bespoke spraying shed to spray the ATX rear panel/tray. And for anyone considering a mod like this, I found the Halfords High Temperature Aluminium Paint an excellent match for Apple G5 colours, not perfect, but near enough.

1DSL0367s.jpg

The cutting of both the G5 and ATX frame was straight forward, but labour intensive, using a combination of power drill, hacksaw, snips, pliers, file and an abundance of expletives.

Last edited:
Cont.....

After cutting out the rear panel etc, and carefully measuring to ensure the Asus MB would fit, I used J-B Weld Epoxy Resin to fix the ATX rear panel/MB tray to the G5, using spacers behind the MB tray, because of the design of the G5 the tray needed lifting away from the side panel a little more than usual. Silver Gaffer tape, and a final spray to the rear panel/inside and the mod installation was ready to rumble

1DSL0372s.jpg

I then came to my first real pitfall, I temporarily fit the MB, and connected most of the components to ensure fit and everything worked, and I was chuffed when the BIOS screen appeared on my monitor, showing everything connected as should be, unfortunately it was showing 2 DIMM slots as 'abnormal' not recognising the memory inserted into those slots. After swapping memory around, using different sticks, the DIMM slots were still showing faulty (The memory is good and correct type), so the MB has been returned as faulty, a replacement is arriving next Tuesday.
At least it gave me the opportunity to ensure everything went together OK, the only exception is the Water Cooler radiator, which I was going to vent via the rear panel, unfortunately, when in place it covers a MB Dimm slot, so would need to remove the radiator/fan to get at the Memory. So I'm going to place the radiator/fan inside & against the front panel.

The delay means I can crack on with the next part of the mod, in that I'll be replacing part of G5 top tray to and fitting hard drive cages on the top tray, behind where the original DVD drive was.
Also looking at the G5 front panel switches (power/USB /Firewire) and sorting out the wiring to connect them to the MB.
The whole process has been quite a challenge, but loads of fun, although I'm no expert when attempting something like this, it's immensely satisfying when you do get a few things together and working.

Those are some really clean cuts! Looking really promising, sucks about the motherboard though I know I'd be dying to get it all together now :)

Those are some really clean cuts! Looking really promising, sucks about the motherboard though I know I'd be dying to get it all together now :)

I know, but it has made me slow down a bit, if the MB was OK, I'd be wanting to run everything before I'd really finished the mod :nono:

Anyway, I'd like to ask for some help from our experts on the forum, first around airflow/ventilation, secondly about Hard Drive racks.
Below is my planned installation, the diagram showing the Water cooler radiator/fan at the bottom of the case vented down via a hole in the bottom of the case, similarly the PSU vented via a hole in the bottom of the case.
Two 120mm fans mounted at the front between the HDD rack & front mesh, one PCI exhaust fan vented to the rear.

1DSL0379airflow.jpg

Two questions, firstly does the planned airflow/ventilation look OK? Secondly, regarding the CPU water cooler, for optimum ventilation, do I mount the fan between the radiator and the case with the airflow extracted from inside the case down & out of the hole in the floor? For reference, this is the type of CPU water cooler I'll be using.

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-04%20at%2018.42.48.jpg

Regarding Hard Drive Racks, I'll be wanting to mount a maximum of 5 Hard Drives (including 2 SSD), I won't be hot swapping so they will likely stay in situ most of the time.

This is something like I was planning, but is only available in the States.

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-04%20at%2018.11.13.jpg

Anyone got any recommendations for something similar obtainable in the UK ?

do I mount the fan between the radiator and the case with the airflow extracted from inside the case down & out of the hole in the floor?
The physics is simple. Hot air rises. Trying to push it down against its natural instinct is going to be difficult.

BTW, PSU fans suck air in and expel through the back plane (again, hot air rises ;))

The physics is simple. Hot air rises. Trying to push it down against its natural instinct is going to be difficult.

BTW, PSU fans suck air in and expel through the back plane (again, hot air rises ;))

Of course, simple physics :bonk::bonk:

So if I reversed the fan, and let it draw air in (via bottom hole) from the outside, and let the exhaust fan with possibly a smaller case fan on the rear panel grill vent the hot air from the CPU radiator ?

Really enjoyed reading this and always fancied doing something similar myself - amazing how well built they are though! I'd have lost a finger by now!

Regarding Hard Drive Racks, I'll be wanting to mount a maximum of 5 Hard Drives (including 2 SSD), I won't be hot swapping so they will likely stay in situ most of the time.

This is something like I was planning, but is only available in the States.

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-04%20at%2018.11.13.jpg

Anyone got any recommendations for something similar obtainable in the UK ?

Sorted my Hard drive rack out, just ordered a pair of 'Akasa Cagestor Quad 3.5" HDD' at 12 quid each, so should be more than enough for hard drive storage.

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-05%20at%2008.24.10.jpg

Really enjoyed reading this and always fancied doing something similar myself - amazing how well built they are though! I'd have lost a finger by now!

The Powermac's are incredibly well built, and look elegant.

I must admit, if I thought too deeply about what I'm doing, the sensible option would be to run a mile from the project, it's so easy for things to go wrong, and you are putting expensive components in something you have put together yourself, it's a bit scary at times. :puke:

What I'm going to do is install all the new components into an old ATX case, make sure everything is running & stable, OS installed etc, before transferring it to the finished G5 case.

Of course, simple physics :bonk::bonk:

So if I reversed the fan, and let it draw air in (via bottom hole) from the outside, and let the exhaust fan with possibly a smaller case fan on the rear panel grill vent the hot air from the CPU radiator ?
Yup, that's the way I'd do it. In from the left and bottom, out to the top and right (on your diagram). Is there enough space to mount the rad on the back anywhere (looks like a 120mm fan space there but I can't tell)?

Yup, that's the way I'd do it. In from the left and bottom, out to the top and right (on your diagram). Is there enough space to mount the rad on the back anywhere (looks like a 120mm fan space there but I can't tell)?

Thanks Andy (y)

There is a 120mm fan space on the back panel, but mounting the rad there covers a couple of dimm slots, hence the workaround in placing the rad at the bottom.

The project rumbles on, finished cutting the 2 holes at the bottom of the case, to allow airflow for the CPU (black grill) and the CPU radiator (sllver grill)

1DSL0440.jpg

My hard drive racks arrived this morning, so will be installing those over the next couple of days.

Hard drive rack installed, bolted to the cut down top shelf :)

1DSL0453.jpg

Will take 4 Hard Drives

Also checking size/place/fitting for 2 X120mm fans to go behind the front grill.

Tentatively put most of the components together to see how they 'fit'

All seem fine, except I had to move the hard drive cage a touch to the left, as I couldn't access the sata sockets on the MB.

PSU and water cooler radiator/fan sit comfortably in the bottom of the case on the left & right respectively.

Cable management looks as though it's going to be an issue.

1DSL0459.jpg

Almost complete

Everything in, and apart from a couple of jobs, running sweet and incredibly fast.

1DSL0837m.jpg

The build went without any major hiccup (except an initial faulty MB)

Always a bit anxious about cooling as it's not a stock kind of case, luckily Neil_g was selling some fans over in the buy & sell section, so I have plenty of variety to keep things cool.

2 fans behind the front grill, 2 exhaust fans, and on the cpu radiator at the bottom, I have a push/pull with two fans either side of the radiator. So it keep temps at good cool levels (35C at idle, 40-50C on load)

1DSL0837arrow.jpg

Last edited:
3 jobs to finish the project
First is to wire up the front panel (on switch/reset/USB), at the moment I'm using a panel switch trashed from an old case (see image)
Second is to do something with the power lead at the rear of the case, I think I'll solder in a common rear case power socket you see on most cases?
Finally, remove everything and a final internal spray job.

1DSL0839.jpg

The setup runs incredibly fast, at stock speeds I'm getting a geekbench score of around 15K, with a modest clock increase to 4Ghz it's at 19K, so I'm well pleased, considering my geekbench scores were 9k/11k on my old i7 860 system.

Screen-Shot-2013-05-23-at-20.34.43.jpg

Total cost (excluding monitor & two hard drives) was just under £1200, which is expensive, but they are good quality components and hopefully will last me a few years.

As a comparison, Novatech have a similar specced setup at £1714.99 , and Apple's mighty Mac Pro, a similar specced machine to mine would cost $4524 (£2987)

Jobs (pun intended ;)) a good 'un....

that memory bench is a little low, is it running at the right speed?

You could be right Phil, I haven't had much time to explore the Bios ('cos it's huge), I only did a quick & dirty overclock to test, I'll spend more time with it when I've finished the build.

After you mentioned it, I checked the speed of the memory, and it's showing the frequency to be 1333 instead of 1600 (corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600), so I changed it in the BIOS to 1600 and this is the geekbench score I got (no O/C), I honestly don't know if this is what you should be expecting.

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-25%20at%2013.25.15.png

I'm on 8455 and 9645 here (4.5GHz i7-2600K with 1333 DRAM o/clocked to 1600).

Are you sure you have the 4 sticks of memory in the right slots?

That RAM does look slow.

Can I ask... is that the fre 32bit version of Geekbench, or the 64bit version?

Here's my SB-E at stock speeds.. so 1600 RAM.

34s5cw4.jpg

I know there's a forum for my Rampage board (I've changed boards since this Geekbench was run)... is there one for yours on the Asus site? I'm sure there are some BIOS tweeks you can use to eek out more memory speed.

Get it past 4GHz too... it will respond very well if mine is anything to go by. My 24/7 config is 4.7GHz. The 3930K shouldn't really be any slower... I've got that extra 3MB of cache.. but seriously.. I can't see it making much difference.

iXcMmEQ.jpg

Last edited:
I've been running everything at stock speeds for the last few days to make sure everything is stable (it is), yesterday I O/C to 4.2 and it's running nice and cool (45 C) since.

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-27%20at%2010.28.47.png

I'm 'er not running Windows :puke:, and after looking at the Geekbench scores at similar systems/OS the memory performance looks to to be on par?

Ahh.. all mine were 32bit. That RAM bandwidth still seems low for sandybridge E. I'll run some Linux 64bit tests later.

Have you just set your RAM timings to auto?

Well, 6 months down the line, and it hasn't missed a beat, its taken everything I've thrown at it.
The only change I've made is that I've added an extra 16GB of memory, making 32 GB, probably don't need it most of the time, but managed to pick the extra sticks up on our buy/sell forum at a reasonable price.

It's been running over clocked at 4.2GHz all of the time, and the 64 bit geek bench score has remained around 22K.

The only thing I would do differently if I build another G5 mod would be be to use a more robust donor frame for the MB/rear panel, the one I used was a bit flimsy, but has done the job.

So I'm happy :)

Crikey - 6 months - where has the time gone - seems like only yesterday!

Glad you're happy with it :)

Over a year down the line, and I must say, this has been the most stable system I've ever run (OSX Mavericks 10.93 currently), taken everything I've thrown at it.

I honestly think 32GB of memory is overkill, 16GB would have been enough for my needs.

Nice.

I've been wanting to recycle a G5 case, but never had a chance for one at an acceptable price. Your buld looks really good though.

Back