preventing sun spots - how do I

Name
Ray
Edit My Images
Yes
Dont worry about the picture quality in general - it's a duffer - but i am using it to illustrate some thing...

ok - see these spots - which are echos from the sun, probably light bouncing around inside my lens, it doesn't always happen so i guess its an angle of the lens / refraction thing going on. But rather than me sit down with a Physics book for a few days is there anything standard that I should know to avoid it?

1161812654_RpSgf-L-1.jpg

Thanks anyone.

Ray

Make sure you have no filters attached, use a largeish aperture but you'll still likely get them. Only way to completely avoid it is buy a Zuiko lens or don't point it at the sun.

Use a lens hood and you can also use your hand to shield the area above the lens too

Make sure you have no filters attached, use a largeish aperture but you'll still likely get them. Only way to completely avoid it is buy a Zuiko lens or don't point it at the sun.

Are you seriously saying that ONLY Olympus lenses wont give any flare ? :):):)

Toonie

Ray, in a shot where the disk of the sun is in shot, there's nothing you can do to prevent flare. As you guessed, it's a result of the light bouncing around inside the lens (and these days, between the sensor and the rear el;ement of the lens). It can be removed in Post Production if you're patient and good with the clone tool but prevention isn't an option.

If the sun's just out of shot, a lens hood or a well placed piece of card or hand can be used to keep direct sunlight hitting the front element of the lens. You can see what effect the shade's having through the viewfinder.

Ray, in a shot where the disk of the sun is in shot, there's nothing you can do to prevent flare. As you guessed, it's a result of the light bouncing around inside the lens (and these days, between the sensor and the rear el;ement of the lens). It can be removed in Post Production if you're patient and good with the clone tool but prevention isn't an option.

If the sun's just out of shot, a lens hood or a well placed piece of card or hand can be used to keep direct sunlight hitting the front element of the lens. You can see what effect the shade's having through the viewfinder.

Thanks everyone. At least i feel better now!! I felt like a bit of a turnip not being able to prevent it.

I was using a UV filter - which i always use to protect my real glass.

I can try without that - but what do most people do - do you use a plain filter to protect your lens or just be very careful.

But I guess from your comments that it's going to happen in strong sun at certain angles - does the angle make a difference?

mmmmm..... lots to think about:bonk:

I don't use any protective filter - I'm just careful with my kit! I'm also too big myself to go clamberiung around on rocks like I used to, so there's less chance of me bashing my kit on them too.

Are you seriously saying that ONLY Olympus lenses wont give any flare ? :):):)

Toonie

No, but even at kit level they have outstanding performance, even old OM lenses seem better than most.

If you want a really BAD lens for flare, then try a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm, great lens as long as you point it nowhere near a bright highlight or the sun.

Back