Product photography lighting workshop, Sunday 17th August

You should take up smoking:)
But, the smoke machine can in fact produce just a tiny amount if required

I'll be there Garry. Looking forward to it :)

Flights booked.... check

Pickup arranged....check - thanks Phil :)

Dropoff organised... check - thanks Phil...again :D

I'm ready..

Excellent look forward to it. Think i will be learning a lot from this been what i would class as a beginner. Also be good to meet a few people from here.
Just need to think of something to bring along now.

Looking forward to it, I'm the opposite in that I am struggling to think of only one thing to bring when I have so many items I want to try photographing!

This is so cool. I wish I lived in the area so I could join in. Have fun all.
It's only a couple of miles from the airport, I could pick you up whilst I'm picking Pete up.

Really sorry forgot I signed up otherwise I would have told you sooner, I've had a last min wedding booked for Saturday - 2 hour drive away, so I probably will be cream crackered Sunday, really sorry & pretty gutted I'm missing it, have fun all!

I'll be there too.

Any chance that you would have a Smartflash protective head cover I could buy on the day. I melted one with leaving the modelling light on :whistle:
I might even give you one :) Just remind me on the day

Garry I am very sorry an urgent family matter has come up so I cannot attend.

I hope one of your reserves can fill the place.

Best find something to bring with me to shoot.

Wasn't sure what to bring but think found something...

Well, we're done and I don't think I made too much of a mess of it.
We photographed quite a range of subjects, from a shoe to a table lamp to food to beer, there was also a trombone, a glass cup and a camera.
Various different challenges, all with simple solutions because, despite what a lot of so-called experts say, lighting really is simple - once we understand the principles, the solutions are just applied common sense.

I don't know how the various victims found it, but I found it interesting.

As the day progressed I personally did less and less and forced other people to do more and more. The most complicated shot, a bottle and glass of beer was left to last and I just kept in the background on that one and let them get on with it, and they did a pretty good job.

As and when I get the time I'll update this thread with photos.

Had a excellent time Garry.. :ty: & thanks Phil for the beer...:beer:

It was fun watching 3 Canon users try to use your Camera - Names withheld to protect the innocent :nikon: but yet again Garry provided some excellent tutition..

Well worth the flight to get here...

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks again Garry, I learnt a load (mostly that I need to buy grids). Again I met some lovely people and Pete too!

Thanks again Garry, I learnt a load (mostly that I need to buy grids) honeycombs. Again I met some lovely people and Pete too!
We're English (or Welsh) Not Yanks :)

Thank you for today Gary, think i might of been the newest to photography who was there today so it helped me out lots and will look forward to seeing if I can apply it to my photography.

Ive come home and started looking at the cellar to see if its big enough to set up a studio area and looking at lots of shiney new toys!! The mrs is just glaring at me!

Was nice to meet a few other people from here and put some names to faces.

Thanks Garry, good day, and nice TP folks to meet :)

Again gutted to have missed this, especially as I am literally down the road now - at work!

Looks like a good turnout and fun was had by all. Not to mention a fair amount of knowledge passed on!

S

What a great time today. Learned so much, as Garry has the ability to explain things so simply. Nice to meet up with some of the good folks from TP. Most of whom are bonkers ;)

And thanks again Garry for sorting me out with a replacement cover

What a great time today. Learned so much, as Garry has the ability to explain things so simply. Nice to meet up with some of the good folks from TP. Most of whom are bonkers ;)

And thanks again Garry for sorting me out with a replacement cover
You're right - some of them are! :D

Thanks Gary, it was an excellent course today, and I left realising product lighting and photography is easy - once you know how ;-) also thanks to all who made me feel welcome as the token lady of the group! I look forward to seeing the final product pictures

Well, having a token woman there made us all behave, or at least better than usual...
As I tried to demonstrate, it really is easy - there are just a lot of people out there who have a (usually very basic) level of knowlege who seem to take pleasure in making it seem like a black art that nobody else could possibly learn.
And then there's the other type, who pop in in forums like this all the time, who seem to think that lighting is all about having enough of it, and that a couple of flashguns and shoot through umbrellas can do everything.

In reality, all that's really needed is an understanding of how light actually works. The right equipment then makes it easier, but the higher the level of knowledge, the easier it is to get by with limited equipment.
In other words, to a large extent knowlege can replace equipment.

Admittedly, I have a combination of knowlege and experience, this means that I know which sums I need to do and that I can do them in my head, so my starting point isn't at zero - but all that this really means is that get the same result, but more quickly than someone with less experience.

The right equipment then makes it easier, but the higher the level of knowledge, the easier it is to get by with limited equipment.
In other words, to a large extent knowlege can replace equipment..

It also helps to have the resources of a Large lighting company too - lol ----not that you need it but we do..

Like all of the above I've got to say a big thank you to Gary for a very informative day and good fun at the same time. It was also good to meet some of the TP crowd face to face and get to know them as people not just names on here.
The only bad bit was the drive home with the usual hold ups on the M6, took a total of 4.5 hours but I'm now in the arm chair with a glass of beer I've no intension of trying to light, just drink it and that's me done for the day. Once again thanks Gary.

Huge thanks to Garry (and Lencarta!) for an extremely informative day!
As others have said, also good to meet and put some faces to names.
Looking forward to more days like it!

Ditto everything said above. Big thanks to Garry for taking the time out to pass on his knowledge (hope some of it sticks). I thought your teaching style was really good, coming across in a easy to understand way. Well apart from the brief nod to physics and equations them words actually scare me :). Like you say maybe that's why some people just get it and other's flounder a fare bit. Great to see some of the members on here too especially as it seems a couple of the most frequent helpers in the lighting section were there.
Thanks all.

Gaz

Back