Product photography lighting workshop, Sunday 17th August

At 5 foot wide wouldn't you need more than a couple of metres Adrian or are you shooting small/tight?

Looks good but my initial thoughts were 2 lengths of 3 metres but then you'd have a join in the middle :(

At 5 foot wide wouldn't you need more than a couple of metres Adrian or are you shooting small/tight?

Looks good but my initial thoughts were 2 lengths of 3 metres but then you'd have a join in the middle :(

It will be for shooting products, don't really intend to use it for anything else, so I think 2m long should be fine. 5 feet wide should be also enough for tabletop style of shots.

As for join in the middle, if the background will be correctly lit (ie not lit at all), no joint should be visible anyway :)

I'm unsure how bad velvet is for wrinkles, if it is similar to muslin, maybe it is just a wast of money after all.

On the other hand, if this works fine, I could sell my white and black muslin backgrounds, that should cover this purchase :)

I was just thinking about getting one bit 2 m long. That should be enough for my needs, but I can see why this would be not enough for something like portraits.

It won't be until later this week that I can really think about placing an order. I'm skint now :( ordered few more bits on sunday :)

Last edited:
It will be for shooting products, don't really intend to use it for anything else, so I think 2m long should be fine. 5 feet wide should be also enough for tabletop style of shots.

As for join in the middle, if the background will be correctly lit (ie not lit at all), no joint should be visible anyway :)

I was just thinking about getting one bit 2 m long. That should be enough for my needs, but I can see why this would be not enough for something like portraits.

It won't be until later this week that I can really think about placing an order. I'm skint now :( ordered few more bits on sunday :)

Let us know how you get on :)

I'm unsure how bad velvet is for wrinkles, if it is similar to muslin, maybe it is just a wast of money after all.

On the other hand, if this works fine, I could sell my white and black muslin backgrounds, that should cover this purchase :)

Velvet doesn't really wrinkle. But it does have a nap, and you need to brush it so that the nap is lying down nicely.
And if you're going to join it, make VERY sure that the nap on both pieces is going in the same direction before you sew it together

Velvet doesn't really wrinkle. But it does have a nap, and you need to brush it so that the nap is lying down nicely.
And if you're going to join it, make VERY sure that the nap on both pieces is going in the same direction before you sew it together
Thanks Garry, it sounds a bit like PITA, brushing it before every use. Though, I presume it is still not as bad as trying to get wrinkles out of a muslin backdrop. Last time I used it, after lots of water and couple of hours I only managed to get rid of something like 10% of them and resigned to sort it out in PP - joys of working in tight space, it is very hard to not to introduce any light coming on the background. Hence the idea of velvet, apparently it can eat up up to 2 stops of light.

Brushing it is no problem at all, it's just the same as brushing the nap on a snooker table, takes seconds.
I don't know about eating 2 stops of light, that's a bit vague, but I can confirm that it only reflects about 5% of the light that hits it.

Back